PDA

View Full Version : The "Our Father" (Lords Prayer), Happy Birthday 2x...what else?

Darrell KSR
03-20-2020, 12:11 PM
There are two things that have been good about this coronavirus pandemic.

First, I learned I was not washing my hands long enough. I never thought about how long to wash, just wet my hands, applied soap, rubbed them together, then rinsed. Never thought about timing it.

Then I sang Happy Birthday twice while doing it, because I was told that you needed to wash for 20 seconds, which was the time needed to sing that--twice.

Wow. A lot longer than I was used to washing my hands. So now I wash my hands longer.

Second, a friend told me that the "Our Father" took about 20 seconds. Well, nobody wants to hear me sing (and possibly, to recite the Lords Prayer either, but I keep it low), so that's what I've been doing. I timed it, and it's a little less than 20 seconds, but I wash my hands for that long, then rinse and when I rinse, I'm still washing, so I'm good with that.

What are you doing to make sure you are washing your hands long enough? Any tricks?

KSRBEvans
03-20-2020, 12:16 PM
I do Happy Birthday twice. It's weird when someone walks in to a men's restroom and sees me singing to myself, but I figure they know what's up and are probably doing it themselves.

Now I feel like I'm Dr. Benton on ER getting ready to go into surgery, the length of time I wash my hands. But in truth it just seems long because it's longer than the too-short amount I was washing them before.

dan_bgblue
03-20-2020, 01:30 PM
I count to 25

blueboss
03-20-2020, 02:45 PM
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-03-03/coronavirus-hand-washing-20-seconds-happy-birthday-10-songs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
03-21-2020, 11:09 AM
I guess b/c I've been doing this with my 3 year old. I found myself singing the ABCs the other day. I stopped after I caught myself singing this out loud in our work rest room. Thankfully no one was in there.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
03-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took a look at the song list, but that's probably not for me. I'm more of a Happy Birthday, ABCs kinda singer.

I'm thinking of more recitation kinda things, too.

Preamble to the Constitution is in the ballpark as well. Going to try that. It always brings a chuckle to my mind because I think of The Andy Griffith Show and Barney trying to recite it. So I have happy memories associated with it. It's a tad short, but longer than the Pledge of Allegiance, which I also tried.

MickintheHam
03-21-2020, 09:35 PM
On! On! UofK works!

I'll let you decide between it and the Our Falther.

Darrell KSR
03-22-2020, 02:36 PM
On! On! UofK works!

I'll let you decide between it and the Our Falther.I will rotate them during the week. Saturday will be mostly On, on, UofK! Sunday, Our Father. Good mix!

Catfan73
03-22-2020, 02:55 PM
I do the Preamble but I do it Scholastic Rock style.

badrose
03-25-2020, 08:49 PM
I use sanitizers at work and keep a bottle of it in my car. No shaking hands, etc. So far, so good.