PDA

View Full Version : Lake effect winter

dan_bgblue
03-01-2020, 04:53 PM
I've been there and experienced that. Not a fun experience.

Lake Erie Winters are a pain in the rear (https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-lake-effect-snow-winds-frozen-naria-lake-erie-hamburg)

CGWildcat
03-07-2020, 11:16 PM
YES they are! Lake Erie was my first Coast Guard duty station doing search and rescue west of Cleveland. Those storms would come outta nowhere. I remember running out of the house "station" and having to secure our boat with more lines and heaters so sh'ed be ready if we had to get somehwere quick!
By the time we were done doing that, there'd be 2-3 inches of snow and ice onboard. It was crazy!

dan_bgblue
03-08-2020, 08:06 PM
It was crazy!

January of 2001 I was staying at a Holiday Inn at Meadville. Went to bed with a forecast of light snow at Meadville. Got up next morning and with about 6 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. Cranked my truck to thaw it out while I had a bite to eat. Truck thawed out and I headed for Erie. I-79 had been plowed so I thought the trip was going to be a piece of cake. The further north I went the deeper the snow got. By the time I go to Erie the snow was 3 feet deep and people were plowing parking lots and piling the snow in empty lots. Huge piles of snow 25 to 30 feet tall and growing. They eventually haul the snow to the lake and dump it in the lake. When I got back t0 Meadville it had stopped snowing and it had snowed about 4 additional inches. Erie is right on the lake and Meadville is about 50 miles south of that.