PDA

View Full Version : What came after

dan_bgblue
01-18-2020, 01:34 PM
What are some of the things that have come into every day use in your lifetime?

Color TV and wireless TV remote controls
Push button telephones instead of the old rotary dialing phones
1 person home owner model chain saws
Portable transistor radios

You have anything to add to the list?

Owenchon
01-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Color TV and transistor radios for me. :)

CitizenBBN
01-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Big ones:

- Computers
- Cell Phones
- Fax machines (came and are now just about gone)
- The Internet (see computers, I was using it when it only had FTP and email)
- GPS for civilians
- About a million car features
- CDs, DVD, now digital MP3 (see computers again)
- Kinda CB Radio (was a kid when it blew up to the non-trucking public, now just back to truckers mostly, was around before me but not popular)

Personally, as someone proficient in computers and the digital age, I miss when none if it existed. When you got in the car you were in the car, and you weren't going to get a call. When you went out with friends you were with them, not them and the entire globe via wifi.

blueboss
01-20-2020, 05:18 PM
How about edge clippers verses weed eater type trimmers. Man! I hated doing the trim around the house, crawling around on hands and knees.

Then blowers verses brooms/rakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyWildcat
01-29-2020, 01:34 PM
Personally, as someone proficient in computers and the digital age, I miss when none if it existed. When you got in the car you were in the car, and you weren't going to get a call. When you went out with friends you were with them, not them and the entire globe via wifi.

Same here!

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

KSRBEvans
01-29-2020, 01:56 PM
Junk food-related:

--Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch Doritos--I remember when the 2 flavors were Corn and Taco;

--McDonalds drive thru windows and breakfast;

--Diet Coke;

--Captain Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch;

--Long John Silver's.

UKFlounder
01-29-2020, 02:34 PM
Superstores that sell groceries, clothes, furniture, etc all on one floor under one roof (Walmart, Target,Kroger Marketplace, etc.)

Fast-food delivery beyond just pizza

Cordless telephones (landlines)

Digital cameras

KSRBEvans
01-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Superstores that sell groceries, clothes, furniture, etc all on one floor under one roof (Walmart, Target,Kroger Marketplace, etc.)

Fast-food delivery beyond just pizza

Cordless telephones (landlines)

Digital cameras

Growing up in eastern Kentucky, we had no such thing as delivery, even pizza delivery. I went away to college and learned I could order a pizza and someone would bring it to me...wow! Blew my mind (and my freshman waistline).

UKFlounder
01-29-2020, 03:26 PM
I lived in a very rural, unincorporated part of the county, so pizza delivery, city water and cable tv were all non-entities. My grandparents at least lived where they had the water and a pizza place eventually arrived near them and other kids at schill had some luxuries like that so I knew of them.

Growing up in eastern Kentucky, we had no such thing as delivery, even pizza delivery. I went away to college and learned I could order a pizza and someone would bring it to me...wow! Blew my mind (and my freshman waistline).

CitizenBBN
01-29-2020, 10:02 PM

As a kid there was no delivery in the county. There was one high school type hangout burger place where you could get a to go order, and that was it. There wasn't a single "fast food" restaurant in the county.

It was a big day to go over to Louisville and get to stop at White Castle etc. and our county was hardly out in the complete boondocks. But as of Today I Think the DQ is still the only place in the county.

When I moved at age 9 to Lexington and I told kids this they would ask what we did for food. I said "we cooked."