PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if they know Katina?

dan_bgblue
12-17-2019, 07:38 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-sanders-warren-sex-work

Doc
12-18-2019, 12:44 PM
4 things that should never been sen or used together...AOC, Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren and Sex Act. My mind just shorted out

CitizenBBN
12-18-2019, 01:13 PM
4 things that should never been sen or used together...AOC, Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren and Sex Act. My mind just shorted out

AOC is cute if you can catch her not looking perturbed (which is constant), but I'm sure calling her "high maintenance" is like calling Mt. Everest a hill.

Anyone who is that old being amazed by a garbage disposal just isn't all there.

Doc
12-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Bernie and Liz, oiled up in a tub of Weeson......picture that!

Catfan73
12-18-2019, 04:01 PM
They say it is the oldest profession and what other profession regularly gets locked up just for doing their job yet are free to practice all they want as long as they don’t give up their amateur status?

CitizenBBN
12-18-2019, 06:21 PM
As a libertarian I'm generally for decriminalization of any free market transaction, including the sale of sex.

The problem is that this particular market is HEAVILY fraught with all kinds of non-free market problems, including but not limited to:

1) It's often not really consenting and freely transacted. Even if it were completely legalized it's questionable if the market could prevent the forced sex trade, and if it becomes legal to buy sex then you'll see a big increase in consumption, increasing demand and thus supply, which means this is a rare case where legalization could lead to an increase in criminal activity.

And since I can think of few things as horrible as people being subjected to repeated forcible rapes, I think this is an issue that requires very very extremely careful analysis and planning.

2) The spread of diseases is an externality on society that is not fully captured by the market. Simply put, the more non-relationship based sex there is, the more these diseases will spread.

We would have to adopt a system like that in some Asian countries where sex workers are routinely tested and where they provide visible records of their cleanliness. That's how its done in some places abroad, just like how in Lexington they require your restaurant inspection be posted publicly.

3) Overall moral health of the nation. This is also the problem with legalizing hard drugs, and arguably any of them. Yes it's a Carrie Nation problem, where do we draw that line? Alcohol is OK, tobacco is OK, but do we legalize the sex trade, cocaine, heroin? There are certain societal ills from them all, and then there are ills from trying to prevent them as well. Where to draw that line is more art than science.

Some countries in Asia and even Europe have had some success moving that line somewhat, and that's probably where our research needs to focus in making policy. The problem is that a nation like Japan etc. is very different culturally, and what works in those places may not work here very well. Our nation is far more vast, far more diverse and it's far harder to regulate and police.

I think the only way it would work would be some kind of regulated market where sex workers are verified and have background checks done to try to insure their work is consensual, they are tested for diseases regularly, safe sex is a legal requirement, it is restricted to certain areas by local governments, etc. As much as I believe in the free market, this is one where we need to move very cautiously and see how the market responds versus a true laissez faire approach right out of the gate.

There's also the fact that if Warren, Sanders and AOC all think it's a good idea, it's probably not a good idea. :)

Given who is proposing it I'm sure it wont' even be close to a free market, so we sure wont' have to persuade them to regulate it. lol