PDA

View Full Version : Limits on local government.

bigsky
01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
So we've had some people approach the city commission to impose stringent restrictions on owning firearms the way that town in Connecticut did recently. Immediately that council became media darlings.

The Montana legislature, sometime in the past, anticipated this;

45-8-351. Restriction on local government regulation of firearms. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a county, city, town, consolidated local government, or other local government unit may not prohibit, register, tax, license, or regulate the purchase, sale or other transfer (including delay in purchase, sale, or other transfer), ownership, possession, transportation, use, or unconcealed carrying of any weapon, including a rifle, shotgun, handgun, or concealed handgun.

"Any weapon" is pretty broad, but there you have it, the busting of the Second Amendment is pretty extreme too. The Montana Constitution doesn't mention militia or hunting but instead;

Section 12. Right to bear arms. The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question

CitizenBBN
01-10-2013, 08:42 AM
In Bozeman? What kind of hippie commune are you running there? i expect that in blue states but not in a place where you have to defend yourself against bears and other critters as much or more than people. (sorta joking, I know it's a college town and therefore must have it's population of tree huggers)

Ky is the same way. first it's a constitutional open carry state so you can carry on your hip period, and in their concealed carry law they included that no locality can pass firearms laws so they could have a consistent state wide policy. otherwise you end up not knowing if you can carry or where you can carry from town to town. It would be madness.

UKHistory
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
I am all for the ability to carry a firearm on your hip. I want to know who has a gun and who doesn't.

In Bozeman? What kind of hippie commune are you running there? i expect that in blue states but not in a place where you have to defend yourself against bears and other critters as much or more than people. (sorta joking, I know it's a college town and therefore must have it's population of tree huggers)

Ky is the same way. first it's a constitutional open carry state so you can carry on your hip period, and in their concealed carry law they included that no locality can pass firearms laws so they could have a consistent state wide policy. otherwise you end up not knowing if you can carry or where you can carry from town to town. It would be madness.

CitizenBBN
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I am all for the ability to carry a firearm on your hip. I want to know who has a gun and who doesn't.

I'm w you but the various states are all over the map on their thinking. Some like ky had constitutuional open carry but had to approve concealed carry an require a class and permit. Some have conceals but not open carry just the opposite. The logic is kinda silly in both cases given you're either carrying a gun or you aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

KeithKSR
01-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Kentucky also has a law stating that no local municipality can pass more stringent gun laws than those passed by the state legislature. It really nipped the Louiville-Jefferson County liberal's attempts at strong gun control laws in the bud.

suncat05
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Kentucky also has a law stating that no local municipality can pass more stringent gun laws than those passed by the state legislature. It really nipped the Louiville-Jefferson County liberal's attempts at strong gun control laws in the bud.

As well it should.

CitizenBBN
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Yep that's the one re concealed carry as well. Blanket protection against bans and rules about carry. Not just Louisville sadly bc Lexington has more than it's fair share of wackadoodles too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

KeithKSR
01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Yep that's the one re concealed carry as well. Blanket protection against bans and rules about carry. Not just Louisville sadly bc Lexington has more than it's fair share of wackadoodles too.

Lots of liberals in those two cities. More college graduates from big schools leads to more liberal think-a-like indoctrination. Too many college professors are into group think and drill students on leftist propaganda.