PDA

View Full Version : A Small Contribution

bigsky
01-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Went to the Board of Regents of the Montana University System meeting Monday and Tuesday, because, as you know, I am one of the seven regents. It was the start of the ninety day legislature, and the new Governor was sworn in. The chamber had "Business at the Legislature" days, and I spent two days in very crowded rooms full of people I imagined all had the flu and strep, and I hope my immune system was up to it. We will know in a day or two.

But going, beside I'm obligated, paid off when I found that the new Governor had put into his budget two million dollars to help veterans wanting post secondary education, college, that is. Now, when I went to my first meeting, less than a year ago, there was no initiative, or goal, by the board or system or governor, (nor in the governor's proposed budget up until this week) helping veterans with post secondary education, to be funded by the upcoming legislature. No priority. I spoke up, and we formed a committee of service providers and others, and have come up with programs worth funding, and others worth pursuing. From zero to two million for veterans in ten months. And we have some great ideas from the providers on the ground, from veterans, and from other states.

And I'm egging on the Commissioner of Higher Ed to work with our Senators to pressure the Pentagon to use our common course numbering system, (same course numbers and curricula across the two and four year institutions) to come up with some equivalencies so their courses match the requirements of accrediting bodies for universities, and on the system to come up with answers for military training and experiential learning for everything from one year certificates to four year courses. For example, Ryan draws blood from my arm at the cancer clinic. He was, er, is a Marine, who did two tours as a medic? I can't remember what they call them. Didn't get any college credit for any of his training or experience. Ridiculous. So that's one of the larger non monetary program I'm pushing.

Anyway, we've got veterans centers at the four years in the budget, a dedicated, linked one stop shop website, some direct subsidy of the difference between GI bill and full tuition for servicemembers who didn't do three years active as some of the other ideas.

The GI bill is one of the least used veterans benefits, being used by less than twelve percent of vets. With the world of work what it is, that percentage should be more like sixty seven percent.

dan_bgblue
01-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you!!!!!

CitizenBBN
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
you rock Sky! i'm surprised that percentage is so low. figured it was underutilized but dang.

suncat05
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
When I ETS'ed from the Army, they told us multiple times that we had earned our veterans benefits through our service to our country and that it was there for us to use. They stressed it to us over and over again.
Of course, our President when I was in the Army was this good guy named Ronald Reagan, and he absolutely loved his troops, and he honestly treated us very well, even given the tough economic times he inherited from the previous President.
This current POTUS doesn't give two squats about our troops unless he can use them for his political benefit. TV advertising for the Armed Forces is way down, and when you do see an ad they don't mention anything about veterans benefits. With this current crew in power I am sure the last thing they are concerned about is veterans benefits, so when a servicemember separates from the service now I'd be willing to bet they do not get the same thankful farewell that veterans of my time received. Heck, this same POTUS wanted to severely cut back on all VA services in his first term in office because he felt that because it's an "all volunteer" military that those troops should pay for their veterans benefits out of their own pockets because, you know, "they volunteered". Obama has so much disdain for our troops that he even disregarded the Medal of Honor Ball on inauguration day and did not even go, and he is the very first POTUS to have ever done so in the history of that event.
bigsky..........kudos and many thanks to you for looking out for our military veterans. You're a credit to the office you hold and the community you serve!

uklandrn
01-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Awesome BigSky!! My new husband is a veteran (was in for 12 years total - and served in Iraq during Desert Storm). These men and women deserve our help. Thank you for your contribution!!!

KSRBEvans
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
The post-9/11 GI Bill (http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html) is a really good deal and is transferrable, too. I'm surprised the percentage of vets using the GI Bill is so low. I know in the Army they go through outprocessing where they're given detailed briefings on lots of subjects, including their rights under the GI Bill and how to access them. Love to see it used more often.

jazyd
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks sky, keep up the good work and I hope your immune system kicked into high gear and how are you doing by the way.

suncat isr ight about this president, he only likes the military for his convenience and photo ops, much like Hilary and Bill.