PDA

View Full Version : NBA team called best way to brand Louisville as an international city

ColonelSteve
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Interesting...this debate has really taken off and has gained national attention...however it is rumored today that the Sacramento Kings have been bought and will be moved to Seattle :sad0119: :action-smiley-060:Mayor Greg Fisher is pushing this agenda pretty hard and even Pitino has said he would help if asked (basically publicly begging for a GM/coach job)...but of course the one standing in the way is Jurich who is really upset this is even being discussed, but it's now obvious how badly city officials screwed up by giving into UofLs demands as the only one allowed to use it for basketball purposes

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/01/09/in-battle-of-studies-enalysis-founder-calls-nba-team-best-way-to-brand-louisville-as-an-international-city/

BigBlueBrock
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Kings aren't the only NBA franchise that are/may be looking to move.

ColonelSteve
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Kings aren't the only NBA franchise that are/may be looking to move.

Yeah but I really wanted Cousins and Hayes back home

Catfan73
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Jurich was in tight with the previous administration, but Fischer has taken a much more realistic stance on the Yum Center and what its debt is doing to his city's budget and long-range planning. Jurich will find out that he only runs UL, not Louisville.

I don't know if they'll be successful in bringing an NBA team to town or even if that would help that much, but there will be changes.

CitizenBBN
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
As Steve said, that was an insane deal. Louisville officials should be prosecuted for corruption or gross negligence. It's basically a $10-15 (out of the $20 mil) subsidy for the UL sports program from the taxpayers of Louisville and esp. the businesses in that area.

You rarely see someone lease space where they effectively pay the tenant to be there and let them have an exclusive so you can't make more money elsewhere and don't have enough cash flow to service the debt on the building. If it was a corporation the shareholders would have a case.

Catfan73
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm sure they still marvel and chuckle at how they were able to get a new arena built by convincing the public that they wouldn't actually have to pay for it. As my old (and I do mean old) econ prof used to say, "There ain't no more free lunch!"

They were abetted by that erstwhile bastion of integrity The Courier Journal, but the saddest part was that they had to bring in a UK guy--Jim Host--to show them how to do it.