PDA

View Full Version : What's your OCD behavior?

Catonahottinroof
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Nearly everyone has at least one. Fess up :)

dan_bgblue
08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Being on time for appointments. I am usually 10 minutes early to arrive, and really stress if it looks like I might be a minute or two late.

Lfbj00
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I can't stand for anybody to open my newspaper before I see it. Drives me crazy if my pages are "fingered".

When I watch my ballteams play, UK...Cowboys...Dodgers...NY Rangers...or any of my kid's teams, I pinch/roll my knuckles. I have no feeling in either one of my middle finger knuckles from doing it, and the skin usually turns black and blue.

Darrell KSR
08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I think the closest I come is to being a "hoarder." I'm not quite like those shows on TV, but I have been accused of being a packrat.

My wife is similar, so it doesn't help. I talked with her about this last weekend, and we agreed we'd be happier in the house without so much clutter in boxes and in closets, and even at the foot of the bed, etc., and would prefer a pretty spartan existence over too much "crap."

It's a real OCD-like behavior. It may not quite fall in that category, but it's close enough for discomfort.

Darrell KSR
08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Darin, don't forget to tell us yours!

CitizenBBN
08-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Making sure doors are locked has become one of late, but I'm breaking it. Just get off thinking about something else when coming and going then go "did I skip a step"? That's fairly common I think.

Not a hoarder, just messy as heck. I don't keep stuff b/c I think it's important, just don't get around to filing it or throwing it out. I do struggle with putting things away that aren't properly categorized. I can't stand the concept of a "junk drawer." to me that means I've failed in my organizational scheme. The solution appears to be to just leave it all laying everywhere until I figure out a solution. That's not OCD IMO, that's just being a dummy.

I also check 3 or 4 times to make sure the body is really dead. I don't know why, it's not like I'm an amateur.

Catonahottinroof
08-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Mine is obscure lol. I drive a lot for my job. When I am on the road, the tweezers are in hand and I pluck the hairs from my ears. It drives me crazy. I tend to be a personal grooming OCD kind of guy lol.

Darrell KSR
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Not a hoarder, just messy as heck. I don't keep stuff b/c I think it's important, just don't get around to filing it or throwing it out. I do struggle with putting things away that aren't properly categorized. I can't stand the concept of a "junk drawer." to me that means I've failed in my organizational scheme. The solution appears to be to just leave it all laying everywhere until I figure out a solution. That's not OCD IMO, that's just being a dummy.

I really am your dummy twin, then, as that's pretty much me as well.

I told my wife that after I get things under control--and I will, but it may be a couple of months or longer--I am going to "take a week off" and eliminate 80% of the stuff that is laying around. Goodwill stores in Birmingham may show record profits for 2012 from what I get rid of.

Doc
08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
posting on KSR

Chewing my toenails during dinner, and I confess that occasionally I do it naked. :confused:

Seriously,
I hate stuff hanging in my face. Good thing I'm not Reggie Love, huh? People put notes on shelves, etc...which drives me nuts.

PJ4UK
08-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Let's see...if I'm doing it, there is likely ocd involved. I have rituals for almost everything. However, I don't go off the deep end if my habits get derailed... I'm adaptable...must of the time...lol

bigronhahn1011
08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I cannot go up or down stairs without counting them. What really drives me crazy is when I count them going up and then count them coming down and get two different results.

jazyd
08-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Darrell I know you are somewhat laughing about this but a friend in my SS class whose mom is very bad hoarder. The family met two weeks ago to discuss what to do and try to remove 'stuff' and she got very irritated. There is pathways thru the house. It is a habit I would break as soon as possible if I were you, no kidding

I think the closest I come is to being a "hoarder." I'm not quite like those shows on TV, but I have been accused of being a packrat.

My wife is similar, so it doesn't help. I talked with her about this last weekend, and we agreed we'd be happier in the house without so much clutter in boxes and in closets, and even at the foot of the bed, etc., and would prefer a pretty spartan existence over too much "crap."

It's a real OCD-like behavior. It may not quite fall in that category, but it's close enough for discomfort.

ukblue
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Something in my face. A bug or finger will usually ellict a response from me.

Catfan73
08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
I literally have some sort of little ditty or beat going through my mind every waking moment. Sometimes I tap out the beat with my teeth; sometimes I just bounce my legs. My wife keeps telling me to get some Ritalin but I've made it 50 years without it. :p

Darrell KSR
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Darrell I know you are somewhat laughing about this but a friend in my SS class whose mom is very bad hoarder. The family met two weeks ago to discuss what to do and try to remove 'stuff' and she got very irritated. There is pathways thru the house. It is a habit I would break as soon as possible if I were you, no kidding

Oh, I'm not much kidding, Jazy. It is an issue. No, we're not at that level, nor do I think it would ever, ever reach that. But it's bad enough that it bothers me. If it bothers me, then you know it's too much.

On another thread I was telling CBBN that we had one of those crank-operated radios for emergencies. But I don't know where it is. It's in a box. Somewhere. See what I mean?

DanISSELisdaman
08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I have this really bad habit of killing and eating the neighbors cats. I really need to either give it up or find a remedy for hairballs though.:p

Seriously, I guess the closest thing I have to OCD would be that I love to collect musical instruments, especially banjos. Fortunately, the lack of cash keeps that behavior under control though. At least it did till a month or so back when I entered a drawing, held by the Banjo Hangout for a new Sullivan Vintage 35 banjo and won the thing. Anyway, acquiring them this way keeps the little wife off my back, although the first thing she asked me when I told her that I had won it was, "will they give you the money instead". :)

ukblue
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Your situation is much like mine used to be Dan. 40 years ago I had gotten married and a bunch of us guys would have a poker game going for sometimes 8 hrs after work. My better half would be pissed, at least until she found out I had won some AND gave the money to her.

DanISSELisdaman
08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Lol, money talks where women are concerned.

CitizenBBN
08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Lol, money talks where women are concerned.

As my sig once said, money is the root of all good. It can't "buy" happiness, but it can purchase a long term lease on it. It most certainly can where women are involved.

BTW if my wife reads this, you guys are in the will and don't let her tell you otherwise.

CitizenBBN
08-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Darrell I think you're fine. Disorganized and/or sloppy or just not getting around to throwing things out can be symptoms of hoarding, but hoarding is really when you just can't let something go b/c you think it's important in some way, and you have about 10,000 too many things in that category. Now if you can't part with any of it b/c you're emotionally attached to 5 years worth of Vogue magazine, then it's intervention time. BTW, 5 years worth of Playboy is perfectly fine.

That's how I know I'm not a hoarder, just a slob. At least I think so. lol.

Now I could be a hoarder of tools if I let myself. My wife would say I am now, right up until she asks me to fix something. sometimes nothing works like a Sawzall or a hole saw bit or an old fashioned all steel belt sander than can turn 2x4s into toothpicks.

The tools thing is an occupational hazard b/c of my auction work. Tools of all kinds come through and are way cheaper than new and I think "man, for $5 I could maybe use that some time." Trust me, that is a tough urge to resist. It's how I ended up with a 100lb vintage cast iron scroll saw with a 24" throat.