PDA

View Full Version : Where wer you 50 years ago today?

Doc
07-16-2019, 05:31 PM
I was a 5 year old, at my aunts house in Auburn NY

kingcat
07-16-2019, 05:38 PM
13 years old here at home in Radcliff Ky. More specifically, probably in the bathroom, ughh..reading

dan_bgblue
07-16-2019, 08:19 PM
On the farm on hwy 79, 5 miles north of Russellville. Had just finished milking and feeding the cows and putting the milk in the 10 gallon cans. Might have already hauled the cans from the barn to the back yard under the apple tree where the 300 gallon water tank sat under the tree with a water hose running 55 degree well water into the tank. This cooled the milk and kept it from spoiling over night before I hauled it to the road the next morning to be picked up by the cheese company. 4 hours earlier I was probably leaving the tobacco patch from doing something. Once you got tobacco set, after the first 21 days there was always something one could be doing in the 3 acre patch until the day it went to the barn.

The next year Mom and Dad sold the farm and we moved to town. I still did farm work in the late spring and summer, but I did not have to milk cows twice a day 365 days a year.

kingcat
07-16-2019, 08:41 PM
The next year Mom and Dad sold the farm and we moved to town. I still did farm work in the late spring and summer, but I did not have to milk cows twice a day 365 days a year.

I bet that was udderly tiresome!

badrose
07-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Flatwoods, KY. 12 years old so probably playing Wiffleball or baseball.

Doc
07-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Inwas sleeping. Parents woke me up to watch TV

Doc
07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
13 years old here at home in Radcliff Ky. More specifically, probably in the bathroom, ughh..reading

You blind??

blueboss
07-16-2019, 10:34 PM
I was ten, we were living in Paducah. Later in the morning Rolling Hills CC like most week days in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickintheHam
07-17-2019, 12:00 AM
I was working my summer job at the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. I was in the Poach House operating 8 vats of slurry. I worked a rotating schedule, so that week I was off the day of the launch, but Sunday Night when Armstrong landed on the moon, I was driving back home from work listening to the reports on radio. Family held the champaigne toast until I arrived.

catmanjack
07-17-2019, 01:27 AM
I guess my mom and dad could have been attempting to conceive me as I was born the next March.

KSRBEvans
07-17-2019, 07:35 AM
One of my big regrets is I didn't get to see Armstrong on the moon live. I loved all of the Apollo stuff, but I was only 5 and didn't have a grasp on when it was actually happening and my parents weren't into it. So I learned about it the next day.

suncat05
07-17-2019, 07:40 AM
I watched it live, on TV, with my Mother in our living room.
I knew that we were watching history happen before our very eyes, and I am so thankful that I was able to share the experience with my Mom.

KSRBEvans
07-17-2019, 08:01 AM
BTW, contingency plan and draft speech for President Nixon in the event of a moon landing disaster:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1151444135641014272

KSRBEvans
07-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Oh, and a good Twitter account for all this: Relive Apollo 11, "live tweeting" the mission in "real time" for the corresponding day and time:

https://twitter.com/ReliveApollo11

kingcat
07-17-2019, 11:10 AM
You blind??

Come to think of it, my eyes are pretty bad. My wrist and forearm is still strong as ever though. From leather scissor use that is.

KeithKSR
07-17-2019, 03:07 PM
I was a month away from turning five, and recall seeing some of the coverage on TV.

When I started school I did rock this lunchbox commemorating Apollo 11.

Doc
07-17-2019, 04:08 PM
I guess my mom and dad could have been attempting to conceive me as I was born the next March.

"THE EAGLE HAS LANDED"

UKFlounder
07-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Sorry to be “that guy,” but I was about negative 4 years old at the time.

In fact, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime, as the last person who did so accomplished it in 1972. I just realized that.

Doc
07-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Sorry to be “that guy,” but I was about negative 4 years old at the time.

In fact, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime, as the last person who did so accomplished it in 1972. I just realized that.

According to some, nobody has walked on the moon in my lifetime either

Darrell KSR
07-17-2019, 08:09 PM
BTW, contingency plan and draft speech for President Nixon in the event of a moon landing disaster:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1151444135641014272Wow.

blueboss
07-18-2019, 12:00 PM

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1151444135641014272

Wow.

X100

Pretty powerful, and thought provoking had it turned into a tragedy. I was saddened reading it, while also being jubilant because of the magnitude of the feat.

blueboss
07-20-2019, 12:39 PM
So 50 years ago today, I remember we were boating and left early to get home to watch the moon landing.

We were living in Paducah and typically either went to Barclay or Kentucky Lake, but IIRC we put in downtown Paducah on the Ohio/TN River... which was much closer to home.

Doc
07-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Swimming

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Mary_Jo_Kopechne.jpg

Or maybe not

catmanjack
07-20-2019, 05:39 PM
If that’s the girlfriend I am guessing not swimming!

blueboss
07-20-2019, 07:08 PM
...at 10 years old, it was pretty “neat” but I remember my parents being very excited and even amazed about the whole deal. I would later understand why.

Later we got to stay up late to watch the walk...

suncat05
07-21-2019, 10:04 AM
I remember what my Mom said to me about the lunar landing and walk.
She commented on how they used to get the news by sitting around the radio. And then television came along. She said she was amazed that we were actually witnessing all of this as it was happening.
She told me that just 20 years prior no one even thought about space flight, much less flying to and putting men on the moon.
She said that the world was growing and moving fast, and that we always had to remember who we are and that moving forward things would happen quickly.
There was a lot more said.
It was one of the best times I had with my Mom. Oh, here were many, many others, for sure, but this was just us, and it was so special to me.

blueboss
07-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Swimming

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Mary_Jo_Kopechne.jpg

Or maybe not

She seems a little old for a five year old.

TRUCKERCATFAN
07-23-2019, 11:20 AM
I was negative 8 years old still stuck somewhere between my dad’s 13 year old mind and his groin.

kingcat
07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
I watched the moon landing on vacation visiting family in Hollywood Florida. I recall sodas were not allowed in their house and all I could drink was water or a small glass of beer. Seriously. They were the original Armstrong’s Worldwide Church of God members.

He was found later to not be living exactly like his flock and the church split. They were not allowed to visit any doctor except for a broken bone or the like and no blood transfusions or preventive medicines.

Armstrong got sick and had a revelation.. after it was discovered he had had a transfusion

Darrell KSR
07-23-2019, 09:58 PM
It's funny, I remember it on television, but only vaguely. I must have been living in Hopkinsville, but I don't even recall exactly the television. I know we were all watching it together, but I don't really remember it. That's very sad for me, because I was old enough to remember, at the ripe old age of 9 years old.

Doc
07-24-2019, 12:56 PM
I watched it on the internet

signed
Al Gore

I was only 5...almost 6... and recall it quite well. Was at my aunts house in Auburn NY. I remember the old Black and White console TV in their living room, my parents calling me into the living room because it was a monumental event.

blueboss
07-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Today is the splash down anniversary, strangely I do not specifically remember watching this like I remember watching the launch, moon landing, and first walk.

I do remember them having to be quarantined and waving from the window.

UKFlounder
07-24-2019, 09:13 PM
A sad story related to this thread

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/24/us/neil-armstrong-hospital-settlement/index.html

Dunbar
08-06-2019, 08:06 AM
I was 4 and playing in my grandmother's backyard in Spain (My mother is spanish, I grew up in Madrid). My grandmother used to have a small and cute house in Madrid and my parents were leaving me with her when they were going to work. I can barely remember those times actually but I have very vivid memories about the beautiful flowers and the orange tree she used to have in her garden. I really liked this garden. When she got old and sick we had to move to the US and take her with us and sold the house. Recently I've been to Spain for checking a commercial property for sale in Madrid (https://tranio.com/commercial/spain/madrid/) for one of my clients and I had the chance of visiting the house. Actually I regret it later because it was looking very old and abandoned, it really broke my heart.

Doc
08-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Today is the splash down anniversary, strangely I do not specifically remember watching this like I remember watching the launch, moon landing, and first walk.

I do remember them having to be quarantined and waving from the window.

I dont remember the launch but do the landing, step and splashdown