PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go.

CattyWampus
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Sen. Richard Blumenthal to introduce a bill to require background checks for ammo purchase.

http://twitchy.com/2013/01/08/sen-richard-blumenthal-to-introduce-act-requiring-background-check-for-ammo-purchases/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Take note that the bill will require law enforcement to keep track of ammo purchases, especially large purchases.

CitizenBBN
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Of all the dumb ideas, it's the dumbest. Has any of these guys used more than 100 rounds or so of ammo? I shot 300 rounds last week at the range for purposes of a measuring stick.

wouldn't catch anyone, criminal or lunatic. the Aurora guy had lots of ammo, he only brought a few hundred rounds total to do what he did and didn't use half of those. He'd have just not bought all that ammo.

Criminals don't buy 1,000 rounds to go rob the gas station. The only people who buy bulk ammo are people who shoot a lot, and none of these people in that group.

Of all the dumb feel good measures these ammo ones are at the top of the list. It's so far off base it wouldn't catch ANYONE and it's so obvious. Are these people this stupid or should I get a tin foil hat? I really don't know the answer anymore and moreover I don't know which answer I prefer.

what's the "loophole"? that people can buy ammo without being tracked by the government? what he calls "loophole" I call "liberty". Let's further curtail the rights and freedoms of Americans and do nothing to improve public safety and if that doesn't work let's do it some more.

CitizenBBN
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh, and his "30 seconds" to do a check is BULLCRAP. I do them, it may take 30 seconds once the info is all given to NICS, but I have not done one EVER that is 30 seconds. The online version (which only about 1% of retailers/dealers use) is the fastest. You have to type full name, social sec number, ethnicity, date of birth, verify the name info and a few other things minimum. That goes to a review screen then you submit then you give it from 10 seconds to a minute or so to get an answer. it takes at least 3-4 minutes if you're fast and have all the info right in front of you.

You have that info on the 4473, for ammo you'd have to ask for it, and you want the social so the check doesn't come back confused with the wrong person. So now you're giving your social security number to unlicensed clerks at Wal Mart or you're possibly getting delayed on the purchase. Regardless they'll have to know your date of birth, full name and lots of other valuable information for identity theft.

oh, not to mention the costs due to paperwork. You have no idea how much time it takes to do guns, many dealers would just stop selling ammo altogether. You don't make much on it unless you're at a range and have impulse sales, not worth the trouble.

Also he wants records of the purchases which means you have to fill out a form of some kind every time like with guns. that's 30 seconds? Come on, that's a flat lie and anyone with any brains at all knows it. maybe 5-10 minutes is worth it, but if so make that case, don't act like it's no big deal and doesn't need justification. they want that b/c of course they have no justification. The position couldn't stand up to a sneeze.

So let's not fool ourselves. the process would make it a real hassle to buy ammo over the counter, and of course this would by definition eliminate online sales and raise the price. Which is the whole point, to do whatever it takes to make gun ownership harder or more expensive without regard to whether it does anything to improve public safety.

Just chip away at that gun ownership stone wherever you can get the votes. think I'm being paranoid? Feinstein has said it outright more than once.

jazyd
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
You took a few paragraphs but you got to their intent and don't think for a moment that one barrack Hussein Obama isn't behind the whole thing. Remember his Internet as a senator to raise the price of ammo to make it to expensive to buy

UOTE=CitizenBBN;44516]Oh, and his "30 seconds" to do a check is BULLCRAP. I do them, it may take 30 seconds once the info is all given to NICS, but I have not done one EVER that is 30 seconds. The online version (which only about 1% of retailers/dealers use) is the fastest. You have to type full name, social sec number, ethnicity, date of birth, verify the name info and a few other things minimum. That goes to a review screen then you submit then you give it from 10 seconds to a minute or so to get an answer. it takes at least 3-4 minutes if you're fast and have all the info right in front of you.

You have that info on the 4473, for ammo you'd have to ask for it, and you want the social so the check doesn't come back confused with the wrong person. So now you're giving your social security number to unlicensed clerks at Wal Mart or you're possibly getting delayed on the purchase. Regardless they'll have to know your date of birth, full name and lots of other valuable information for identity theft.

oh, not to mention the costs due to paperwork. You have no idea how much time it takes to do guns, many dealers would just stop selling ammo altogether. You don't make much on it unless you're at a range and have impulse sales, not worth the trouble.

Also he wants records of the purchases which means you have to fill out a form of some kind every time like with guns. that's 30 seconds? Come on, that's a flat lie and anyone with any brains at all knows it. maybe 5-10 minutes is worth it, but if so make that case, don't act like it's no big deal and doesn't need justification. they want that b/c of course they have no justification. The position couldn't stand up to a sneeze.

So let's not fool ourselves. the process would make it a real hassle to buy ammo over the counter, and of course this would by definition eliminate online sales and raise the price. Which is the whole point, to do whatever it takes to make gun ownership harder or more expensive without regard to whether it does anything to improve public safety.

Just chip away at that gun ownership stone wherever you can get the votes. think I'm being paranoid? Feinstein has said it outright more than once.[/QUOTE]

CitizenBBN
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
You took a few paragraphs but you got to their intent and don't think for a moment that one barrack Hussein Obama isn't behind the whole thing. Remember his Internet as a senator to raise the price of ammo to make it to expensive to buy

Yep, sounds better than "ban internet ammo sales". ban sounds bad, "background check" sounds like you're just trying to be safe and stop criminals. The fact that nothing in the proposal does that is beside the point.

FWIW that law helps me, I make more money, and I'm still dead set against it. THAT is what being a responsible citizen is about. voting for what's best for the country not voting yourself a living.

KeithKSR
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
The only good gun control is no gun control.

Sounds like by trying to limit those who buy ammo by the 1,000 round bulk they are trying to zero in on the preppers, and not criminals.

CattyWampus
01-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Here's the order page (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/1214/Ammunition+Case+Lots) for case lots of ammo at Bud's Gun Shop. Take note of the order status of each.