PDA

View Full Version : Headed home from ft walton

KentuckyWildcat
06-15-2019, 11:47 AM
What are the good exits to stop at on the way home...exit w the good ice cream?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

kingcat
06-15-2019, 11:57 AM
If you were going over to Mobile to hit 65 I'd suggest Cammie's Old Dutch Ice Cream.

In Nashville, The Pied Piper Creamery

KentuckyWildcat
06-15-2019, 11:59 AM
We will get on 65 near Montgomery I think

kingcat
06-15-2019, 12:07 PM
I was just looking through the best Ice cream places in each state when you posted. I haven't honestly been to either one.

I bet Darrell has the the scoop!

Darrell KSR
06-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Clanton!

I'll look up the exit number and post.

Darrell KSR
06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Clanton, Exit 205 heading north.

Either Peach Park or Durbin Farms.

Decent description of both. They're both good.

http://www.cecilesutton.com/uncategorized/peach-park-vs-durbin-farms/

Durbin Farms propaganda:

http://www.durbinfarms.com/

Peach Park propaganda:

https://peachparkclanton.com/

kingcat
06-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Here's one pretty highly rated Serendipity Sweets

I'ts in Vestavia (Just south of Birmingham) and looks pretty darn good to me..
Also a candy store.

But since D didnt mention it I'm not certain.

BigBluePappy
06-15-2019, 12:43 PM
You can't go wrong with the Clanton exit.

KentuckyWildcat
06-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. About an hour from there.

KentuckyWildcat
06-15-2019, 03:47 PM
I can't find Darrel. I thought he was coming to buy my meal.

kingcat
06-15-2019, 04:07 PM
I can't find Darrel. I thought he was coming to buy my meal.

He must have gotten sidetracked.

KentuckyWildcat
06-15-2019, 04:11 PM
He must have gotten sidetracked.I'll give him a few minutes so he can buy my ice cream.

Darrell KSR
06-15-2019, 04:56 PM
I went back to get my wallet.

blueboss
06-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Mmmmm! Peach ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
06-16-2019, 10:53 AM
If you haven't visited a Graeters ice cream shop then GO. They only make it in peach when they can get fresh peaches which generally runs from mid June thru thru mid August. I have been there the last week of August and they were out so I had to wait until next year. I promise, you will not be sorry you went there whether you like peach ice cream or not. They have a gazillion flavors and all of them are good.

As far as I am concerned, it is the best ice cream in the United states.

https://www.graeters.com/neighborhood-locations

https://www.graeters.com/our-flavors-seasonal

MickintheHam
06-17-2019, 06:35 AM
wish I had seen this earlier. I would have told you the pimento cheese sandwich at Peach Park is unbelievably good, a hidden gem. But you can get your ice cream at the park and then eat your sandwich on the way home. You can take home a quart of fresh peaches and whip up a cobbler in about an hour. (I did that last night)

I will admit, I don't believe the Alabama peaches are as juicy this year as they typically are, but don't let that stop you from buying.

KentuckyWildcat
06-17-2019, 03:40 PM
wish I had seen this earlier. I would have told you the pimento cheese sandwich at Peach Park is unbelievably good, a hidden gem. But you can get your ice cream at the park and then eat your sandwich on the way home. You can take home a quart of fresh peaches and whip up a cobbler in about an hour. (I did that last night)

I will admit, I don't believe the Alabama peaches are as juicy this year as they typically are, but don't let that stop you from buying.

Had the BBQ sandwich. It was great. I'm not supposed to eat the sauce, but I did anyway, man it was good and I have zero complaints about getting it. However, I let my wife order and that is what she picked because I had the girls and wasn't going to try to have them wait in that line. Had I seen the pimento cheese prior, I would have ordered that. I love pimento cheese! But I didn't see it until we were leaving.

I didn't realize it, but we stopped at Durbin Farms before. I can't remember now if that was from a recommendation from here or accident but it was great as well. So this time we chose Peach Park. Will certainly become an annual stop whenever we vacation in that direction.

The wife bought a lot of produce while she was there, including peaches.

Does the gas station next door serve the same food? Much shorter line there :)

MickintheHam
06-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Don’t sell gas station food short when you are traveling in the Deep South. Matter of fact we have a gas station here in Hoover that serves the best Thai food I have ever had. Gourmet food cooked to order.

But if the gas station where you stop sells Dean’s Cakes, BUY ONE. They are 7 layer cakes made by a group of women in their 70’s and 80’s who know how to bake. They are made in Andalusia, Alabama and are sold all over South AL and the Florida panhandle, mostly in gas stations and the Piggly Wiggly. Better still if you drive through Andalusia the bakery is one block off the main drag behind the Andalusia McDonald’s. Stop and see the women who bake them and see the entire collection. I am partial to the yellow cake with carmel icing. Chocolate is pretty sweet as well.