PDA

View Full Version : Any Google Docs experts here?

Darrell KSR
06-05-2019, 09:37 AM
I'm having issues when I print a Google Document where some strange symbol appears in the bottom right corner. For most documents, it is on the first page only, and looks like this:

1. It does not show up on the document when being prepared, or after being prepared. Only when you start to print it and you see the view (as well as when you actually print it, it appears).

2. It is not a footer; at least, nothing shows up when I click footer and can create one.

3. It is not a page number; at least, something else shows up if I insert a page number on it (it generally appears above the symbol, like the example below.)

4. It appears if I create a brand new document from scratch as a Google Doc, or if I am working from an imported Microsoft Word/converted document.

5. My "work-around" has been to download the document after creating it as PDF--the symbol does not appear on the PDF--and just print the PDF. But then I have a PDF copy in addition to the Google Doc version, and that's not really what I'm trying to do.

If you notice the 2nd example, no number appeared in the symbol, but it looked like something in progress or whatever. That makes me wonder if it is some sort of "version" indicator.

Anybody know?

Darrell KSR
06-05-2019, 10:48 AM
I have Google One storage space, so I have access to their experts. The first one had me identify the problem and then forwarded me to the expert in that area. He said in doing it 7 years he had never seen that or be able to recreate the issue, so he forwarded it to one of their developers.

I don't think it is as strange as the guy indicated, and my gut tells me it's something simple. But it sure is frustrating.

I prepare the document. Then download it to PDF. Then open it. Then print it. Then delete the PDF.

That's 3-4 steps too many.

KentuckyWildcat
06-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Never use Google Docs, we are 100% Microsoft. But don't rule out a print driver or firmware update. Have a 2nd printer to try? That is the first thing I'd try just to make sure the issue is isolated to the document.

KentuckyWildcat
06-08-2019, 08:56 AM
It could also be a font compatibility issue. Sometimes there is an option on the printer or software to substitute font. Or you might just try a different font and see what happens.

KeithKSR
06-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Our school district has used Google for the last couple of years. I’ve never seen anything like this. I think I would uninstall the printer and then reinstall it, you could have a corrupted printer driver.

Darrell KSR
06-22-2019, 03:33 PM
I asked a question about the time that I broke my thumb in two places, rupture the ligaments and dislocated it and had surgery. So I have just now got back to it. I think you're getting good advice about the printer drivers and / or the font. I'll give those a whirl.