PDA

View Full Version : How to play Oledon's Stupid Underdog Picks Game (& Oledon and Mac4UK history)

Darrell KSR
08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
First, a little history. Last year we KSR was saddened to lose two very fine members, Don Lewis, aka "Oledon," and Jonathan McIntyre, aka "Mac," two big Kentucky football fans and terrific people. They both enjoyed the game "Stupid Underdog Picks," a game that is one part skill, one part luck, and one part silly.

Last year's winner, bigronhahn1011, asked for them to be named in his stead as 2011 winners.

Oledon and Mac (also known as bigbluemold on the boards) both enjoyed all Kentucky sports, and especially football season. They appreciated the camaraderie of KSR members on the message boards, and the "just-for-fun" games we all played together, such as Doc's Beat the Odds, and "Stupid Underdog Picks."

Mac was a good, long-time player of the games as well, and served often to promote KSR and the people on it. He loved Kentucky football and wanted nothing but the best for his beloved blue.

Bigronhahn1011 hit the last four weeks of the season with a correct stupid underdog picks, sometimes a double-digit-dog, and won five of the last six weeks to come out of nowhere and capture this year's crown. While posting the final standings for this year, bigronhahn1011 suggested that the crown be laid at the feet of two gentlemen we lost, and so much admired, and name them jointly as the "winners" for this season. "I didn't know OleDon or Mac," bigronhahn1011 said. "But I think it would be fitting that in their honor they shall be remembered as the 2011 winners of OleDon's SUP."

Bigronhahn1011 "gets it." We thanked him for the comments, and designated Don Lewis and Jonathan McIntyre as honorary winners of the KSR Stupid Underdog Pick game for last season.

Rules to follow in the next post.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2012, 04:26 PM
TO PLAY OLEDON's STUPID UNDERDOG PICKS (What SUP?)

1. Wait for the thread to appear. It will appear no later than Tuesday of game week, hopefully beforehand.

2. Pick one UNDERDOG--i.e., the team that is NOT favored to win the game--as your Stupid Underdog Pick. Post your pick in the thread.

3. In order for you to win points in our SUP Contest, your pick must WIN THE GAME--not just "beat the spread." Hence, "stupid" underdog pick. If your SUP wins the game--outright--then you win the number of points by which they were the underdog.

Example:

Red Riders University is favored to beat Anteaters U. by 7 points. That will be shown like this usually:

Red Riders U. @ Anteaters U. +7

It could be shown instead like this.

Red Riders U. -7 @ Anteaters U.

The favorite has a + beside their name, the underdog a -.

If Anteaters U. is your "stupid underdog pick" and the game results are as follows, your result will be as shown.

a) Red Riders U. beats Anteaters U. 30-28. You get -0- points, even though Anteaters U. "beat the spread," because they did not win the game outright.

b) Anteaters U. beats Red Riders U. 31-30. You get 7 points because they won the game outright, and they were the underdog by 7 points.

c) Red Riders U. beats Anteaters U. 40-28. No SUP for you, even if you messed up and picked Red Riders U. because you have to pick the Underdog.

We will grade the contests every week and keep a cumulative season standings that we will post every week as well. First week's picks are to follow this post. Good luck!

Darrell KSR
08-13-2013, 05:15 AM
It's about that time....

jandpsdad
08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
This game reminds me of Leonard's Losers. I know I'm dating myself - but loved that radio bit!!!

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 04:08 PM
This game reminds me of Leonard's Losers. I know I'm dating myself - but loved that radio bit!!!

I remember Leonards losers well. Very entertaining and fun. Not Enough of that today if you ask me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

ram
08-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Never forget '78 we were playing #1 penn state at home. Leonard predicts a "big upset" with psu as the loser. Seems like they beat us like 30-0. Loved Leonard.

jandpsdad
08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Boy, you can say that again!