PDA

View Full Version : OMG....High School Yearbook SNAFU today locally

Darrell KSR
05-07-2019, 03:14 PM
my son received his yearbook today at his high school, but they had a recall and took all of the high school yearbooks back.

There were two main errors. The first one's not quite so bad.

1. Apparently there is a club for African–American students. It is considered quite honorable, the boys dress up in suits for the meetings, they have some very distinguished guest speakers, etc. I don't remember what the name of the club is supposed to be, but they erroneously called it the "Gentleman's Club," like it was an adult dancer establishment. I actually don't know that they're going to do anything with that.

2. The bigger error occurred with a club that has students of various races, and is designed for diversity and inclusiveness of all races. It is called the Anti-Discrimination club.

Except… they left out the word Anti-. In multiple places. I wonder if that was intentional.

No kidding. The high school has a "Discrimination Club." Apparently they are going to take each yearbook and hand – correct the name to reflect the proper name of Anti-Discrimination.

badrose
05-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Was this strictly for the students to do the work without oversight? If faculty was involved that's even worse.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2019, 10:43 AM
As far as I know, there's always a faculty sponsor for every activity.

KSRBEvans
05-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Well, there goes the chance for anyone in that club to be a Supreme Court justice.

CitizenBBN
05-08-2019, 02:03 PM
It's all in the naming. Communists call themselves "The Democratic People's Republic", etc.

Instead of "Gentleman's Club" I suggest "Single Working Mom Support Association". ;)

Darrell KSR
05-08-2019, 02:49 PM
My son came home yesterday just cracking up about it. He shares our humor. That probably doesn't speak well for him.

CitizenBBN
05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
I'm dying to see what the "hand corrections" look like. I hope there's a picture at some point. Do they just get someone with good handwriting, a Sharpie and some time? one of those little "v" things with "Anti" written above it all over the page?

Maybe do it in red. More in keeping with a school. With a "F" with a circle around it at the bottom of the page.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2019, 07:44 PM
I'm dying to see what the "hand corrections" look like. I hope there's a picture at some point. Do they just get someone with good handwriting, a Sharpie and some time? one of those little "v" things with "Anti" written above it all over the page?

Maybe do it in red. More in keeping with a school. With a "F" with a circle around it at the bottom of the page.He'll get one. I'll snap a pic when they return them and post.

CitizenBBN
05-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Cool. You are the man.

Maybe they could go the other way and do the photo-negative of all the other clubs so it will be consistent and not stand out.

Change the Glee Club to the Downer Club, The A/V Club to the Written Word Club, Debate Team to The Non-Confrontation Squad, etc.

Doc
05-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Hey, could be worse!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190511/1942c3f81ae93f91f65cc53f1285a1c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

badrose
05-11-2019, 09:59 AM
:sHa_dielaughing:

Darrell KSR
05-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Hey, could be worse!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190511/1942c3f81ae93f91f65cc53f1285a1c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh, my....lol.

I was out of town the last two days, but I asked my son last night if they had returned the yearbooks yet, and they had not. I told him I wanted to see the Antidiscrimination club picture and the Gentlemen's Club, and he said he did, too lol.

dan_bgblue
05-11-2019, 07:44 PM
my kingdom for a "d"

Doc
05-11-2019, 09:16 PM
my kingdom for a "d"

reading it, apparently she did get the "D"

CitizenBBN
05-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Guessing she had a really good GPA.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2019, 07:42 PM
It actually looks fine in person. Shows up more in the picture.

Looks like they did an adhesive label that matched the typefont and coloring of the border, etc. At first, we had to run our finger over it to notice the label.

The Discrimination Club was changed to Minority Student Association.

The Gentleman's Club was changed to Young Men on the Mountain.

Compare it to Ignite. Looks the same, but that is *not* a label. They all sort of look like they are labels.

CitizenBBN
05-23-2019, 09:34 PM
They got bailed out that a) the original layout had them kind of looking like labels as part of the style, and b) they only have the one title reference to the group. Had they had paragraphs of text with the name in it or were it tight with other stuff so they couldn't just run over the label on it it would have not worked.

but with that layout I agree they managed to pull victory from the jaws of defeat with the fix.

Darrell KSR
05-23-2019, 10:49 PM
I was disappointed lol.