PDA

View Full Version : Oh, joy...another food allergy

Darrell KSR
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Deathly allergic to shellfish, and now I see I have rashes and hives breaking out all over after eating my homemade chocolate candy...with huge doses of peanuts in it. It is a crockpot recipe, and used almond bark, German's chocolate, semisweet chocolate chips, and 2 lbs of dry roasted salted peanuts.

Delicious...but apparently, I can't have too much of a good thing. I assume it is the peanuts.

50mg of benadryl in system. Epipens at close hand if needed. Joy, oh joy. Know how bad it was to be living in New Orleans, without kids, and having to stop eating shrimp, lobster, crawfish? So bad, I had to move.

Where do I go to avoid peanuts?

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

KSRdallen
01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Remember John Travolta in "The boy in the plastic bubble"? . . .

dan_bgblue
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Hope you do not develop an allergy to cheetos. You might starve.:671:

Sorry for the humor as the condition you have is not funny at all. Will you have an allergen test run to make sure it is the peanuts? Might be the almond bark, or God forbid, dark chocolate.

Darrell KSR
01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
It could be the almond bark, Dan. Peanuts is just a guess.

With two benadryl, the lip is returning withiut numbness and the rash is dissipating. I doubt I will get a test done, but I may try small amounts of almond bark and then peanuts.

I know what a horrible reaction is, and that is what I experienced with shellfish that put me in the hospital in an anaphylactic situation. This wasn't bad. I'm generally only a few feet from benadryl, epipen, and 911 at any given time.

And I don't mind joking about it. Unless I'm in the hospital. Then I would appreciate waiting til I get out and can enjoy it with you.

dan_bgblue
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
I have had the same reaction to the mycin family of antibiotics. I know what the shortness of breath, rash and blotches is all about. Fortunately for me, that is the only thing that has affected me that way.

CitizenBBN
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
I know what the shortness of breath, rash and blotches is all about.

Wow, apparently I was allergic to making out with girls when I was 15.

Darrell, definitely hope it's not the peanuts. A lot harder to accidentally eat almond bark. I assume you've had just peanuts and such before so this would be a new reaction? I'm not familiar with such things and whether they can develop that way.

I'm lucky allergy wise. Basic hayfever, and apparently a nasty one to lavender bush blooming. No foods or drugs that I know about. Almost got my geek application denied.

Glad you're OK Darrell.

BigBlueBrock
01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
No food allergies, or allergies of any kind, that I'm aware of. Which probably means I'm allergic to some common general anesthesia and the first time I have to go under for surgery, I have a heart attack or something.

MickintheHam
01-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Deathly allergic to shellfish, and now I see I have rashes and hives breaking out all over after eating my homemade chocolate candy...with huge doses of peanuts in it. It is a crockpot recipe, and used almond bark, German's chocolate, semisweet chocolate chips, and 2 lbs of dry roasted salted peanuts.

Delicious...but apparently, I can't have too much of a good thing. I assume it is the peanuts.

50mg of benadryl in system. Epipens at close hand if needed. Joy, oh joy. Know how bad it was to be living in New Orleans, without kids, and having to stop eating shrimp, lobster, crawfish? So bad, I had to move.

Where do I go to avoid peanuts?

For how many years did you work across the street from the peanut depot? When I worked downtown I went by there at least once a week. Can't be the peanuts D. It just can't be.

Darrell KSR
01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Used to get a bag and bring home at least once a week. I don't think I've ever had more fun than going in there and just watching them fill up a sack. Something just right about the world walking down a "cobblestone" (bad brick, but ok) street in your suit, walking in there and being taken back 40 years.

It took 27 years before my shellfish allergy unsurfaced. 25 more, and a new one has occurred. It is either peanuts (most likely, but not a certainty), almond bark, german's chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips. The reaction was not nearly as severe as the shellfish reaction, but I hope it is not peanuts, either.

Darrell KSR
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
No major problems tonight. Had kung pao chicken (with peanuts) in it, watched carefully. Didn't have "that" much, but enough. No reaction at all. Had some of the almond bark tonight as a follow up. No reaction. Read the ingredients--stuff is basically sugar and some oils; not sure why they call it "almond bark" anyway.

After a little research (I know, scary), I think I must have an intolerance, rather than an allergy, to peanuts. Came home and had a dry, hacking cough, for no apparent reason. Read that could be related to the peanuts. The quantity of peanuts I consumed when I had the "allergic" reaction was pretty substantial. Several pieces of candy with loads of peanuts in them, and a handful of roasted peanuts on top of it created the issue.

Still going to watch it carefully, but I don't think--think--I'm going to have a major issue with it, although the rash and swelling and hives I had was significant then.

CitizenBBN
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Not sure what I'd do without peanuts. Trying to cut down on carbs leaves very few choices in munchies.

At least it's not an outright allergy where you could accidentally eat some and be in trouble.

jazyd
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
My granddaughter is allergic to anything peanut. We really have to watch everything we buy. She knows she cannot have anything from the the box of sweets that has the little girl on it....little debbies

Darrell KSR
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
My granddaughter is allergic to anything peanut. We really have to watch everything we buy. She knows she cannot have anything from the the box of sweets that has the little girl on it....little debbies

Man, I hate that. It scares me to death to think of a child with an allergy like that.

We took my son to a hospital at Sandestin when he had some shrimp on vacation and had an allergic reaction, but he was 16. He knows better than to eat anything and be very wary now (at age 20) of those things.

But if you're a 1st grader, 2nd grader, etc.--it's awfully dang hard. Bless her heart.

jazyd
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Darrell, I remember you telling us about your son on that trip.

We have to read the back of every box we buy at the store to make sure it does not have peanuts or had anything peanut near it when made. Hersheys is a chocolate we can't have but doves we can have at the house. Our daughter is teaching ms Sophia really well on how to look for something she can't have, the idea of the little girl on the box was a good one.

Man, I hate that. It scares me to death to think of a child with an allergy like that.

We took my son to a hospital at Sandestin when he had some shrimp on vacation and had an allergic reaction, but he was 16. He knows better than to eat anything and be very wary now (at age 20) of those things.

But if you're a 1st grader, 2nd grader, etc.--it's awfully dang hard. Bless her heart.