PDA

View Full Version : In the category of "it doesn't matter," but goofy soccer tourney

Darrell KSR
03-15-2019, 10:08 PM
So...there's a "Metro" Tournament in the city in which 8 teams (I think--it isn't really publicized very well beyond your own schedule) play 3 games during the week. They play on a "point" system--6 points for a win, 1 point for each goal scored (up to 3 in a match), three points for a draw, and 1 point for a shutout. Maximum is 10 points per game.

The top two point gatherers play each other in a 4th match on Saturday.

So....Thursday we were expecting bad weather, or the potential for it. My son's team won their first two games, 1-0 (earning 8 points for each game) and were prime to advance to the championship with a win.

Following the weather closely, they moved up the game scheduled at 7:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Games are only 70 minutes long in a tournament, cutting 10 minutes off the "norm," and with a 10-minute halftime break, they can easily finish in 90 minutes.

Everything good. Until the opponent's A.D. canceled THEIR after-school activities, just blanket canceled them. They are across town from us, no real difference in weather, but the game was at our soccer stadium.

Anyway, because THEIR after-school activities were "canceled" by their A.D., they had to back out of the 4 p.m. game.

No forfeit, though. Fair enough, reschedule for today or tomorrow, right?

Nope. Their head coach also coaches their JV team. Because their JV team was in a tournament, he decided that he couldn't coach both teams Saturday, so again, they declined to play.

No forfeit.

Instead, the two teams have a regular season contest scheduled NEXT Thursday, at our opponent's own soccer field. They decided that would "count" as the 3rd Metro tournament game, and we lost a tournament game to play, as well as a home game.

Then, IF my son's school won, a game against an Area opponent who has the next most points (assuming they beat a lesser team tomorrow), which is scheduled next MONTH, will count as the "championship game." Of course, it's at their soccer field.

If they win that game, due to the other teams and records already, it would also clinch the Area championship. So it would be for the Area championship, as well as the Metro Tournament championship.

Now, put this in terms of Kentucky basketball.

UK is playing in the SEC tournament. They defeat the first two opponents, and due to a quirky rule by the 3rd opponent's A.D., they can't play the game that day. Or the next. Or any other time, except on that opponent's home floor. Say it's Tennessee.

So we'd go from Nashville to playing in Thompson-Bowling Arena for that game to count for the SEC tournament. Then pretend we had to play, say, LSU in the finals. Except instead of it being in a neutral site, it would be...yes, on thier home floor. And that game would be for both the SEC tournament championship as well as the SEC regular season championship.

I know, it's kids' high school soccer. It really doesn't matter. I just thought the whole thing was goofy gumdrops.

(As an aside, the entire team is sick, so it really worked out probably fine anyway. They need to rest. They were going to have to play Tuesday-Wednesday-Saturday 1/Saturday 2, with most of the team having respiratory ailments of sorts, and at least one with a stomach bug. My son checked in school VERY late each day, just to be eligible to play, because if you miss the entire school day, you are ineligible to play in an after-school sporting activity (I know, that makes me a horrible parent.)