PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon Red Hot Applesauce

Darrell KSR
12-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Cored and peeled 5 pounds of apples, threw a box of movie Red Hots in it, a little (not much) unsweetened apple juice, toss in slow cooker for 8 hours, mix to desired consistency.

Gotta be an adult beverage that goes well with that, huh?

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

dan_bgblue
12-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Uh, no.:4chsmu1:, at least not one I would consume.

PedroDaGr8
01-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Cored and peeled 5 pounds of apples, threw a box of movie Red Hots in it, a little (not much) unsweetened apple juice, toss in slow cooker for 8 hours, mix to desired consistency.

Gotta be an adult beverage that goes well with that, huh?

Yeah Goldschlager.:evilgrin0007:

My mom makes hot apple cider that way. A coffee percolator, a bag of red hots, some cinnamon sticks and apple juice.

DanISSELisdaman
01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
My mom used to make apple butter and put red hots in it. It was some kind of good!

Darrell KSR
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
It's just something that hit me yesterday. Mom used to make it, and decided I would.

I have heard it works well with apple butter. Will have to try that, too.

CitizenBBN
01-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Never heard of such a thing. Probably involved some adult beverages to come up with the idea. That and a bare pantry.

I'm game to try it though at least in apple butter. Not a big applesauce guy.

Darrell KSR
01-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Big hit with wife and twin 20-year olds (and me). 12 and 13- yr old didn't like it. Almost would have expected the opposite.

I thought it was delicious. Made it almost "chunky," pretty substantive. Ate half of a large batch, so I am pleased.

Catfan73
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
My mother not only makes apples with red hots, they're also good (with lots of brown sugar and butter) on sweet potatoes. Yum. Yams.

CitizenBBN
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
My mother not only makes apples with red hots, they're also good (with lots of brown sugar and butter) on sweet potatoes. Yum. Yams.

out of curiosity how do you cook them with redhots?

Catfan73
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
AFAIK, she bakes them first and then adds the brown sugar, butter, and liberally sprinkles the red hots over the top before putting them back in the oven to get everything all melted together.

CitizenBBN
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
AFAIK, she bakes them first and then adds the brown sugar, butter, and liberally sprinkles the red hots over the top before putting them back in the oven to get everything all melted together.

Thanks. May have to give it a try sometime.