PDA

View Full Version : OT: Just something to keep an eye on...unnamed 1999 Duke BB player accused of rape

Darrell KSR
02-09-2019, 08:31 AM
I don't want this to turn into a Front Porch or Barber Shop topic, but just thought it was worthy of mention here because now a Duke basketball player (unnamed) has been accused of raping a Duke student in 1999. The Duke student is the one who has accused Virginia Lt. Gov. Fairfax of raping her. The story goes, he was aware of the prior rape by the Duke basketball player, the fact that it was reported to the Dean, and she got no help, so he raped her, too.

Not passing on credibility of 20-year old claims or anything. Just something to watch.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-accuser-virginia-lt-gov-says-also-raped-duke-basketball-player-1999-055757900.html

For reference, the 1998-99 Duke team went 37-2. That was the Corey Maggette freshman year. (Brand, Langdon, Avery, Battier et al).

The 1999-00 Duke team went 29-5. Added freshmen Jay Williams, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, et al.

Harlow
02-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Gotta be careful here... I hate Duke n democratic s but everybody needs due process....remember Duke lacrosse

JPScott
02-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Shelden Williams was accused of raping a woman in high school but he didn't play for Duke until 2003-2006.

After the 1999 Duke season Elton Brand, William Avery and Corey Maggette all left for the pros and Chris Burgess transferred.

Darrell KSR
02-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Gotta be careful here... I hate Duke n democratic s but everybody needs due process....remember Duke lacrosseExactly. Just tossing it there to keep an eye on it.

bigsky
02-09-2019, 09:50 AM
I am definitely going to be careful. Yes, Virginia, there is a problem.

StuBleedsBlue2
02-09-2019, 10:21 AM
I am definitely going to be careful. Yes, Virginia, there is a problem.

The Virginia problem should be solved with the same manner as it’s been solved with the accused and the admitted that sits in our highest offices, the Presidency and the Supreme Court, right?

Just something to keep an eye on.

Doc
02-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Shelden Williams was accused of raping a woman in high school but he didn't play for Duke until 2003-2006.

After the 1999 Duke season Elton Brand, William Avery and Corey Maggette all left for the pros and Chris Burgess transferred.

That was a misunderstanding. Several Duke fans told me that....and I believe them [sarcasm off]

Doc
02-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Gotta be careful here... I hate Duke n democratic s but everybody needs due process....remember Duke lacrosse

#IBelieve and #metoo

LakeCat
02-09-2019, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=StuBleedsBlue2;549961]The Virginia problem should be solved with the same manner as it’s been solved with the accused and the admitted that sits in our highest offices, the Presidency and the Supreme Court, right?

Just something to keep an eye on.[/QUO
Wanted to say something but better keep my mouth shut since this board is supposed to be about sports not political views.

blueboss
02-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Saw it on Fox News last night and wondered why it hadn’t got any traction. The statute of limitations has expired, but they may have to dredge it up to show credibility for the accuser.

Wonder what Jay Will has to say about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShoesSwayedBlue
02-09-2019, 02:31 PM
The Virginia problem should be solved with the same manner as it’s been solved with the accused and the admitted that sits in our highest offices, the Presidency and the Supreme Court, right?

Just something to keep an eye on.

Right on.

LakeCat
02-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Didn’t realize Trump had been accused of rape like Fairfax. Six more years baby!

kingcat
02-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Saw it on Fox News last night and wondered why it hadn’t got any traction. The statute of limitations has expired, but they may have to dredge it up to show credibility for the accuser.

I doubt he would comment on that one. But Dicky V sure would.
He went on a patented rant defending of Pitino earlier, saying he was only guilty of hiring two poor assistants and deserves another job. "Nothing was linked to Rick Pitino"

KeithKSR
02-10-2019, 10:53 AM

North Carolina doesn’t have a statute of limitations on rape.

bigsky
02-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Duke to investigate. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/02/10/duke-sexual-assualt-allegation-investigation-mike-krzyzewski-comment

KeithKSR
02-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Duke to investigate. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/02/10/duke-sexual-assualt-allegation-investigation-mike-krzyzewski-comment

I can’t imagine anything becoming of this. 20 years is a long time.

Doc
02-10-2019, 01:37 PM
I can’t imagine anything becoming of this. 20 years is a long time.

Nor should it. If you are assaulted, you report it then. This allows the accuser to mount a defense and investigators to gather evidence.

KeithKSR
02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Nor should it. If you are assaulted, you report it then. This allows the accuser to mount a defense and investigators to gather evidence.

The alleged assault by the Duke player is claimed to have been reported at the time of the occurrence. Somehow I doubt a proper investigation was conducted.

Harlow
02-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Let's lock this up !!

Darrell KSR
02-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Let's lock this up !!Sounds good. Everybody is aware. I'm sure somebody will post if there are any developments that impact Duke basketball.

Doc
02-12-2019, 05:20 AM
report has it was Corey Maggette

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/fairfax-accuser-also-says-she-was-raped-by-former-nba-player-corey-maggette

Yep, same kid who the NCAA ignored the amateur status violations they apply to all other schools

ukpumacat
02-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Didn’t realize Trump had been accused of rape like Fairfax. Six more years baby!

Guessing he is referring to these:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/nov/30/donald-trump-sexual-misconduct-allegations-full-list

bigsky
02-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Myron Piggie and Maggette and Duke .