PDA

View Full Version : Any private pilots here?

Darrell KSR
02-08-2019, 12:50 PM
I'm just talking here, and my wife would not be happy with me, but I've been thinking about getting some flying lessons. I have several things that (may be) changing in my business potentially where I may be traveling for personal and business reasons more often, and would love to have a lot of flexibility in travel plans.

Anybody here have a pilot's license and can tell me how you use it? Pleasure, business or both?

My GENERAL idea is that I would be using it for about the following:

250-300 mile trips (each way) - approximately 8 per year.
500 mile trips (each way) - approximately 8 per year.
150 mile trips (each way) - approximately 10 per year. Those would likely be car trips, but just trying to lay the cards on the table just in case. One would be to a small town area; the other to Atlanta.

I may have a couple other trips to add to that as well, but probably commercial flight, as they are 500-700 miles. The 500 mile trips might be a little too long; not sure.

Anyway, any general thoughts out there? I know I would enjoy it, but I just don't know....it would be expensive as heck as well, even renting a plane.

KentuckyWildcat
02-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Wish I did. Would have built a smaller house, got my license, and traveled more if it was up to me. Obviously I lost that discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
02-09-2019, 08:10 AM
This will not be popular in my household, but if my job changes, I'm going to at least get the pilot lessons and then see. It actually may be more popular than I think--I'll have 5 kids, three grown, and two more in college out of state, and it could allow some additional personal visit time.

We'll see. If job doesn't change, the travel need won't exist, so it will be harder to justify.

CitizenBBN
02-09-2019, 11:51 AM
I have always wanted to do it. And I did research prices on planes and such, and honestly the 2 and 4 seaters you can get are not unreasonable. Of course there are a number of time share and rental type deals out there, both with a pilot and just the plane.

But no I haven't done it. Keep hoping to get there some day. I do know how long it will take to get from Lexington to Key West in various models of plane however. :)

Darrell KSR
02-09-2019, 12:12 PM
I have always wanted to do it. And I did research prices on planes and such, and honestly the 2 and 4 seaters you can get are not unreasonable. Of course there are a number of time share and rental type deals out there, both with a pilot and just the plane.

But no I haven't done it. Keep hoping to get there some day. I do know how long it will take to get from Lexington to Key West in various models of plane however. :)That's what I'm finding, too. In fact, you could even start by renting planes. But the cost of them is not outrageous,

KentuckyWildcat
02-09-2019, 06:41 PM
It is not cheap. But nothing is. But the cost is not nearly as bad as most assume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kingcat
02-10-2019, 12:23 AM
?? You mean like down at Shaky Pete's airplane rental and Hookah lounge
Planes that fit your budget!

BREAKING NEWS...A two-seater Cessna 152 plane crashed into a cemetery early this afternoon in North Korea. NK search and rescue workers have recovered 200 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.

Darrell KSR
02-10-2019, 04:36 AM
?? You mean like down at Shaky Pete's airplane rental and Hookah lounge
Planes that fit your budget!

BREAKING NEWS...A two-seater Cessna 152 plane crashed into a cemetery early this afternoon in North Korea. NK search and rescue workers have recovered 200 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.

Lol.

dan_bgblue
02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
NK search and rescue workers have recovered 200 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.

:lmao:

dan_bgblue
02-10-2019, 09:49 AM
True story. Back in the mid 80's I was involved in some "cutting edge" photography of agricultural crops. Our company did not have a plane nor a pilot, so we hooked up with a local crop duster to do the flying. Fortunately he had 2 airplanes and I did not have to fly with him in the single seater crop dusting plane.

One day we had flown further from home than normal to reach the target crop fields and I had the pilot twisting and turning to get the views I wanted to photograph. I finished the job and told him I was done and we could head for home. He nodded to me and turned the plane, leveled off and I thought we were headed home. We had been flying at a constant 2,000 feet for the photography and he maintained that altitude for the homeward bound portion of the trip. I was busy with the camera, film canisters, and a small ice chest. I had been using infra red film and for proper results it was important to keep the film as cold as possible so I would unload a full roll drop it back in the can and stick back in the cooler for the return trip. Also to limit any stray light that might sneak in to the roll, I unloaded the camera inside a black cloth bag so I was working by feel not being able to see what I was doing. I look outside the plane and see we are much closer to the ground than we were just a bit ago and I expected to be able to spot the runway ahead of us. There is no runway in sight but I can see a small town approaching. The pilot says to me, do you see that water tower, and I said yes, he said he was going to fly low enough so that I could get a real good look at it and he wanted me to see if it had the town's name painted on the side of it.

Darrell KSR
02-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Whew. Kinda scary.

Catfan73
02-10-2019, 02:23 PM
I have no desire to fly myself anywhere now but when I was 8 or 9 my goal in life was to become a blimp pilot :)

MickintheHam
02-10-2019, 02:35 PM
My business associate had his license and we flew together to a number of job sites together, most in the 600 mile or less range. Owning a plane is pretty expensive and flying a couple of times a month is almost not enough to justify the expense. And, after age 60 the physicals and license renewal process become much more difficult.

kingcat
02-10-2019, 03:21 PM
I have no desire to fly myself anywhere now but when I was 8 or 9 my goal in life was to become a blimp pilot :)

Mine too. I got half of it..but Im no pilot.

dan_bgblue
02-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Whew. Kinda scary.

That was really tame compared to locating and flying around pop up thunderstorms and running into strong thermal updrafts in the summertime, which is when we did all our flying and picture taking.

blueboss
02-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Whew. Kinda scary.

After participating in the insomnia thread I might suggest you take a train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
02-12-2019, 10:32 PM
After participating in the insomnia thread I might suggest you take a train.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTalked to my wife about it tonight, and I told her I could sleep while it was flying because of the lack of airplanes at the altitude I'd be flying.

She, uhh, didn't agree.

dan_bgblue
02-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Most people would be surprised to know how little effort it takes to fly a plane once the pilot gains the desired altitude, gets the nose pointed in the proper direction, and gets the control surfaces set to maintain level flight and a proper heading. Crosswinds and thermals make it important for the pilot to not nap very often, but on good flying days, as the Geico commercial once told us, even a caveman can do it.

Takes offs and landings are another matter altogether.

Darrell KSR
02-13-2019, 07:17 PM
I've done a lot of research on it. And sure, there's some risk, but with proper training and equipment, it's not nearly what people think. My business partner thinks I'm nuts. He races race cars.

CitizenBBN
02-13-2019, 08:58 PM
I think it's very reasonable D. But then again you know how I drive, so maybe that shouldn't be reassuring. :)

Darrell KSR
02-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Well, the planes I'm looking at cruise at around 120-140, so they're a little slower than you are used to...

CitizenBBN
02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Well, the planes I'm looking at cruise at around 120-140, so they're a little slower than you are used to...

Yeah, I'd feel a need to get out and push Sunday driving at that speed.

Darrell KSR
02-15-2019, 08:53 AM
The only way I'd have a chance of catching up to you at that speed is that it flies in a straight line. But at the speed you go, I'm not sure you take curves anyway.

Catfan73
02-15-2019, 11:56 AM
I keep thinking this says Any PIRATE pilots here. Aargh.

CitizenBBN
02-15-2019, 06:28 PM
The only way I'd have a chance of catching up to you at that speed is that it flies in a straight line. But at the speed you go, I'm not sure you take curves anyway.

I take them. Usually not with all 4 wheels touching, but it turns.

Darrell KSR
02-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Well, I passed the first hurdle. I broached the subject of buying a plane. That idea got torched. But I did that intentionally as a negotiating ploy. Then it was, "you can get lessons, but you're not buying a plane."

Which, of course, was what I wanted in the first place. Made her think she won.

I'll know in the next 3-4 weeks if I'll have a "need" for this or not. Oh, it won't be a super-need. But at least a plausible reason. If I don't reach that point, I won't even bother seeing if I like it.

Catfan73
02-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Lol she’s probably three moves ahead of you and you think you’re winning :winking0011:

Darrell KSR
02-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Lol she’s probably three moves ahead of you and you think you’re winning :winking0011:Probably lol.

dan_bgblue
02-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Probably lol.

Obviously she did not tell you I called.

Darrell KSR
02-17-2019, 11:11 PM
Obviously she did not tell you I called.Lol. She doesn't tell me a lot, obviously!

Darrell KSR
04-15-2019, 03:41 AM
Just waiting for the summer to begin lessons. Wife still nixing the plane, but ok with lessons.

The business reason I had to take them and get my own plane did not materialize, at least for the time being. So that takes a little air out of my balloon, so to speak. But still ready to move forward with it. I'm not getting any younger.

CitizenBBN
04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Keep me posted how it goes. I'm very curious.

UKFlounder
04-15-2019, 06:58 PM
that takes a little air out of my balloon, so to speak. But still ready to move forward with it. I'm not getting any younger.

Well, whatever floats your boat, to keep the mixed metaphors going. I don't want this thread to get off-track...

Darrell KSR
05-04-2019, 05:27 PM
I'm still planning on starting lessons this summer, but purchasing a plane may wait a little longer. In addition, as I drove into the middle of the country two weeks ago to Prattville, Alabama; this past week into Cherokee County, with the capital a city of about 3400, and traveling this weekend to another small town, I started wondering about my transportation if I took my plane to the FBO airports. I know that on some of the occasions, I will be able to have someone meet me at the airports and pick me up, but on others that will not be available. I have not started doing my research yet on how inconvenient this may be to arrive at these tiny airports without transportation on the ground. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I know that if the outlying and surrounding areas are large enough I should be able to find a taxi or Huber or something to meet me there, and that might just be the only solution.

In my fantasy world, when I made a 100 mile trip to Centre, Alabama this week, I would drive 15 min. to the airport, hop in my plane, and fly 45 min. to my destination. Basically, it would make a two-hour trip into one hour, saving one hour each way. In reality, probably a little as a half hour, but saving some time and making the trip enjoyable, assuming I enjoy flying. But if you look up Centre, Alabama, you won't find any taxi companies in the 3400 population town. I'm not sure what the nearest taxi might be, and I'm certain there will be no Uber type of availability. For this particular trip, I was not meeting anyone, so I could not count on someone meeting me there without making a prior arrangement. I guess I would just be out of luck, because the little airport strip they have there, I am certain would not have any rental car availability, either. Maybe I'm wrong, and they do have rental car availability. I was sort of thinking that trips 100 miles or more would start to be advantageous to fly, but if ground transportation will be an issue, it will not be worth it in those instances.

EDIT-by the way, both 200 mile round-trip excursions I made in the last two weeks (100 miles each way) were not included in the original post I made about trips that I anticipate possibly being able to fly. It actually made me think that I could even use it more if I include my semi-frequent 100 mile one-way trips during the year. I usually do several of those.

blueboss
05-04-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm still planning on starting lessons this summer, but purchasing a plane may wait a little longer. In addition, as I drove into the middle of the country two weeks ago to Prattville, Alabama; this past week into Cherokee County, with the capital a city of about 3400, and traveling this weekend to another small town, I started wondering about my transportation if I took my plane to the FBO airports. I know that on some of the occasions, I will be able to have someone meet me at the airports and pick me up, but on others that will not be available. I have not started doing my research yet on how inconvenient this may be to arrive at these tiny airports without transportation on the ground. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I know that if the outlying and surrounding areas are large enough I should be able to find a taxi or Huber or something to meet me there, and that might just be the only solution.

In my fantasy world, when I made a 100 mile trip to Centre, Alabama this week, I would drive 15 min. to the airport, hop in my plane, and fly 45 min. to my destination. Basically, it would make a two-hour trip into one hour, saving one hour each way. In reality, probably a little as a half hour, but saving some time and making the trip enjoyable, assuming I enjoy flying. But if you look up Centre, Alabama, you won't find any taxi companies in the 3400 population town. I'm not sure what the nearest taxi might be, and I'm certain there will be no Uber type of availability. For this particular trip, I was not meeting anyone, so I could not count on someone meeting me there without making a prior arrangement. I guess I would just be out of luck, because the little airport strip they have there, I am certain would not have any rental car availability, either. Maybe I'm wrong, and they do have rental car availability. I was sort of thinking that trips 100 miles or more would start to be advantageous to fly, but if ground transportation will be an issue, it will not be worth it in those instances.

EDIT-by the way, both 200 mile round-trip excursions I made in the last two weeks (100 miles each way) were not included in the original post I made about trips that I anticipate possibly being able to fly. It actually made me think that I could even use it more if I include my semi-frequent 100 mile one-way trips during the year. I usually do several of those.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/0be2d5cf09520fc476bedbdcee3030e6.jpg

Darrell KSR
05-04-2019, 05:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/0be2d5cf09520fc476bedbdcee3030e6.jpg

That is actually not the worst idea I've ever seen. Would probably work great, if you needed to get only 5 miles or so and didn't need to carry anything. And also didn't mind how you looked, sweating, rained on, etc. now that I think about it, it's a terrible idea. Thanks a lot, blueboss.

blueboss
05-04-2019, 05:38 PM
That is actually not the worst idea I've ever seen. Would probably work great, if you needed to get only 5 miles or so and didn't need to carry anything. And also didn't mind how you looked, sweating, rained on, etc. now that I think about it, it's a terrible idea. Thanks a lot, blueboss.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190504/07bac5b8b4cc97d0582b861388915a3d.jpg

Darrell KSR
05-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Now we are talking!

dan_bgblue
05-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Are wings important?

blueboss
05-04-2019, 07:39 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/ce1e4f1aef85d52da807737dd998e004.jpg

Derby’s over, we can all pile in, Darrell is driving/flying!

Darrell KSR
05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Are wings important?I don't know, haven't had any lessons yet.

dan_bgblue
05-04-2019, 08:10 PM
I don't know, haven't had any lessons yet.

Oh my. Wish I could be there when you first encounter your instructor.

CitizenBBN
05-04-2019, 09:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XC3Hc-rAkk

Darrell KSR
05-04-2019, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XC3Hc-rAkk

Classic. You realize that after watching that video, I had to watch three more Dean Martin, Foster Brooks (and Don Rickle) videos, too. Like a Lays potato chip; you can't watch just one.

CitizenBBN
05-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Yep, I did too, lol. Foster Brooks could bust Dean Martin up with a look. Like Tim Conway and Harvey Corman.

seriously go get this thing:

http://www.invisiblethemepark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Man-With-the-Golden-Gun-Flying-Car-Model.jpg

Doc
05-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Darrell "Wrong Way Feldman" Cartwright