PDA

View Full Version : Ruger EC9s

suncat05
02-06-2019, 07:58 AM
I finally had the opportunity to shoot my new Ruger EC9s.
Before I did though, I treated it with the Militec-1 lubricant, three different times in the oven at 250 degrees after I had field stripped it and thoroughly cleaned it.
I put about 100 rounds through it, of varying brands, and had no malfunctions or misfires. The slide was smooth as glass on the rails. The trigger is very smooth, which has not always been a hallmark of Ruger handguns.
Folks, I cannot tell you how impressive this handgun is. It fits in my hand perfectly, has good grip texture, and shoots like a very expensive, high dollar handgun. And for the price, I highly recommend this handgun.
The only negative I can tell you about is on the field stripping procedure. I absolutely DO NOT LIKE having to use a punch to remove the takedown pin. I don't get why Ruger's engineers thought this was such a great idea, but in my humble opinion having such a small but important piece of the pistol being completely disconnected from the pistol is asking for trouble during field stripping and cleaning.
Aside from that one little negative, Ruger hit a home run with this concealed carry gem of a handgun.

dan_bgblue
02-06-2019, 01:49 PM
What practice distances did you try at the range? I suspect it is fairly accurate out to 10 yards, but was wondering what happens after the distance increases. Pretty much like other snub 9s or maybe a bit better?

suncat05
02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
I went out to about 15 yards away from my target.
The gun is accurate out to that distance, absolutely. But the abilities and training of the shooter play into this as well.

suncat05
02-07-2019, 08:07 AM
dan, this is a "no frills" gun. The sights are milled into the slide, with no colors on either front or rear. That said, it is accurate. And
For the price, you can't beat it.
I bought it to carry off-duty, and my wife has the same exact model as well. I bought the first generation model for my daughter as a present about 4-5 years ago.
This is one that Ruger got right.

Catonahottinroof
02-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Being a conceal/carry gun I’d think within 20-30 feet is all the distance that would be necessary for it.
I’m a fan of Ruger stuff. That pin with the punch is a head scratcher though.

suncat05
02-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Like I said, it just makes me wonder what the Ruger engineers were thinking. It is actually a very small piece, and I can certainly see it getting lost if you don't put it someplace where it is protected.
But aside from that, very nice shooting handgun.
Ruger makes some very good, serviceable firearms. Their AR-15 variations are good rifles, as is their newer versions of the Mini-14 & the Mini-30. Their newer polymer pistols are very nice handguns. But some of their older model handguns, like the P-89, while they were serviceable were just too big and blocky to be practical. Those might as well have been boat anchors, that's how big, heavy and bulky they were.

Owenchon
02-21-2019, 01:42 AM
"Like I said, it just makes me wonder what the Ruger engineers were thinking. It is actually a very small piece, and I can certainly see it getting lost if you don't put it someplace where it is protected."

Also have the same thought. They could have done something more to prevent something like that from happening.

suncat05
02-23-2019, 11:10 AM
I like this gun a lot.
This gun is smaller & lighter than my J-frame, and I have 3 more rounds in the gun. AND......the spare magazines are a lot more efficient to carry than the speedloaders for the J-frame, not anywhere near as bulky and don't seem to be as heavy, either. The trigger is smoother, the gun fits in my hand perfectly, and it is not at all heavy. I
Where the heck was this for all of these years?? 😎

By the way, as a side note, a lot of the younger guys in my agency have been teasing me about being the last of the dinosaurs because I actually carried a wheel gun for so many years. But it's okay, when we go to the range to qualify they like watching "Pops" shoot the 'old school' gun and are amazed at how accurate with it that "Pops" is.

Don't mess with the "old guys". They 'know stuff'.