PDA

View Full Version : For my friends in Birmingham

dan_bgblue
01-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Nasty winter weather is on its way. I suspect the traffic in the city will shut down before noon on Tuesday. A quick trip to the store tonight for essentials and auto fuel might not be a bad idea.

Probably not enough snow to build a snowman but enough to ruin traction on paved streets.

Darrell KSR
01-27-2019, 08:53 PM
In the Last Post wins thread, I asked for everyone's prayers yesterday. It could be bad. I'm thinking 5-10 inches.

I left out a decimal point, but for us, it's like 5-10.

MickintheHam
01-27-2019, 09:16 PM
Predicting snowfall in Birmingham is an art not a science. very seldom do they accurately forecast accumulations of snow. It takes three events to have significant snow here. Moisture from the gulf, an arctic front or dip in the jet stream and a low pressure system generally south and in front of the arctic system. All in all it will come down to the timing of all events. I'm skeptical, but I did go to the grocery.

dan_bgblue
01-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Latest NWS forecast thru Tuesday is for total snow accumulation to measure 3 inches. As Gordon Lightfoot wrote, "Boys it's been nice to know ya".

Darrell KSR
01-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Uggh. I'll cancel class early tonight. It's 60 degrees right now, so it's just fooling us.

Darrell KSR
01-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Prayers answered! 7701

MickintheHam
01-29-2019, 08:41 AM
well, I was very skeptical. there was no low pressure system feeding the storm so it just fizzled.

KSRBEvans
01-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Daughter of friends works as a teacher in Atlanta. She posted on FB yesterday that they'd preemptively cancelled classes for today based on a forecast of an inch of snow.

I think this must be how Chicagoans look at us in Kentucky when we go to Double Red Milk/Bread Alert when we're supposed to get 2-4 inches.

BTW, it's currently 41 and raining in Atlanta.

UKFlounder
01-29-2019, 02:11 PM

blueboss
01-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Cancelled schools locally tomorrow based on wind chills. Actual temps the lows expected to be single digits 4-8, wind chills in the minus teens -15 to -22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
01-29-2019, 06:55 PM
I think this must be how Chicagoans look at us in Kentucky when we go to Double Red Milk/Bread Alert when we're supposed to get 2-4 inches.
And we deserve it. I'm sure there are people who ONLY buy bread and milk if it snows. I don't know if they worry about starving to death in 1-2 days it takes for our snows to pass through or if it's some anti-jinx to try to make it not snow.

blueboss
01-29-2019, 07:22 PM
And we deserve it. I'm sure there are people who ONLY buy bread and milk if it snows. I don't know if they worry about starving to death in 1-2 days it takes for our snows to pass through or if it's some anti-jinx to try to make it not snow.

I’ve never really noticed that my milk and bread intake increases when it snows. Quite frankly I don’t consume very much of either, so I’ve always been confused by the correlation of milk/bread and snow.

There always seems to be plenty of liquor on the shelves when it snows, which doesn’t make much sense to me. After all, stuck at home, where you’re not going to be driving anywhere anyway. There’s really nothing to do that requires a lot of motor skills or thought, so it seems like a perfect opportunity to indulge in a few drinks. Or, grab a tall glass of milk and a few slices of bread, hell, you can do that pretty much any time, even at work.

The more I think about it, I can’t remember ever sitting around drinking milk and eating bread when it snows. Might have a big pot of chili going, or some ham and beans w/ corn”bread”, or maybe even throw a few steaks on the grill (see “do you grill in the winter thread”).

Even if it was going to snow on or around our usual grocery day, I could care less that the milk and bread shelves look like something you might imagine in Syria or some other sh@;/ hole place (uh oh! getting moved to the barber shop)....

Oh well, we’ve got plenty of food for tonight’s .5 forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
01-30-2019, 05:41 PM
I am sorry you folks missed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9QaOOnMvSM