PDA

View Full Version : 30 Seconds With Anthony Davis: Unique Twist to Hoops Trifecta

imsoblue
08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
30 Seconds With Anthony Davis: Unique Twist to Hoops Trifecta
By JOE BRESCIA

Anthony Davis has had a spectacular year. After leading Kentucky to the N.C.A.A. championship in April, Davis, a 6-foot-10 power forward, was chosen in June by the New Orleans Hornets as the first pick of the N.B.A. draft. This month, Davis helped the United States men’s basketball team win the gold medal at the London Olympics.

Davis, 19, was named the Associated Press men’s college basketball player of the year after averaging 14.3 points, 10 rebounds and 4.6 blocked shots for the Wildcats.

He recently joined members of the N.B.A.’s rookie class to try on their official Adidas team uniforms for a photo shoot for their Panini N.B.A. trading cards, stickers and sticker albums.
Q.

How did you like being the only rookie on the United States Olympic team?
A.

It was cool. It was a great experience learning and getting a chance to play with all the N.B.A. superstars.
Q.

Were any particular players helpful to you?
A.

LeBron and Kobe and Melo were the main guys who took me under their wings and talked to me and told me about what the N.B.A. is like.

Q.

What’s your scouting report on yourself?
A.

I can shoot the midrange. Finish around the rim. A great defender. Can run the floor. And plays hard for the whole game.
Q.

What part of your game do you want to improve?
A.

I want to get stronger. Improve my ball handling and become a better shooter.
Q.

What do you want to accomplish in your first season in the N.B.A.?
A.

Win rookie of the year. Make first-team all-rookie, first-team all-defense and defensive player of the year.
Q.

What player do you compare yourself to?
A.

K. G. Kevin Garnett. And I like how hard he goes, and he plays good defense along with his offense.
Q.

Are you looking forward to playing with Eric Gordon this season and trying to turn the Hornets into playoff contenders?
A.

Eric is a great player. One of the best in the league. He doesn’t get enough credit. He’s the whole package. Shoots and plays defense. We have to find the right pieces and approach the season as winners.
Q.

Kentucky had six players drafted, including Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Why do you think you and your former teammates will make good N.B.A. players?
A.

Coach Calipari coached in the N.B.A., so he had that experience that he shared with us. We go hard in practice all the time. He runs his program in a style that’s attractive to the N.B.A. teams.
Q.

Your older sister Iesha played basketball at Richard J. Daley College in Chicago and was drafted by the Harlem Globetrotters. Did she play you tough as you were growing up?
A.

She could really shoot it. She used to beat me all the time.
Q.

You trademarked the slogans “Fear the Brow” and “Raise the Brow,” referring to your unibrow. Will you ever trim it?
A.

No. It’s like an icon. It’s its own self. Maybe for a billion dollars.
Q.

In addition to playing basketball, what are you looking forward to doing in New Orleans?
A.

Trying all the awesome food. I’m going to try everything.
Q.

Do you have a hobby?
A.

I like to draw. I enjoy drawing cartoons.
Q.

What’s on your iPod?
A.

A little bit of everything. Drake, Lil Wayne, Frank Ocean.

NYT (http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/30-seconds-with-anthony-davis-unique-twist-to-hoops-trifecta/)239