PDA

View Full Version : New App for android and iPhone users for coaches/others for outdoors

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Man, I love this one. I don't think I ever mentioned it on the other thread we had a long time ago, but it is outstanding.

It is called, "CoachSmart."

The app was developed by Vanderbilt University Medical Center for its athletic teams/coaches, particularly for those who coach outdoor sports.

It uses your phone's gps and gives current weather, including heat index, and lightning strikes. For lightning, it gives you the strike tied to a timer and identifies it as within 6 miles, within 12 miles, or within 24 miles, and keeps a running clock on it which resets to 0 when a new lightning strike occurs. It also has a map where you can have the lightning specifically identified and tap on each strike to see where it occurred in relation to where you are.

I was told about this app the last time my son's soccer team played in Nashville by someone local. I find it very accurate as to time of lightning strikes, and it seems to be very handy if you need to stay out if there have been any lightning strikes within a certain number of minutes. Can also come in handy for trips to beach, at pool, etc.

We had bad weather yesterday, and I pulled it up just to see where the lightning strikes were occurring. We were inside, and we would "hear" a thunderous roar, and we tried to guess, based on the sound alone, how far away the lightning was. Notoriously inaccurate guessing took place.

It is "CoachSmart," and the app is free. Consider this your last Christmas gift! It is a really good one.

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 05:41 PM
CoachSmart features:

If lightning strikes nearby, the app sends an alert to the phone and the resource section provides information on what to do.
The Home Screen gives current temperature, humidity, heat index and lightning strike information.
The Map Screen is based on the user’s GPS location. One map shows lightning strikes within 25 miles, while another uses information from nearby weather stations to post current conditions, including heat index and wind chill.
The Contacts function allows the user to compile team members’ contact info and send a message to the entire team with the touch of a button.
The Resources section includes information that athletic trainers commonly dispense, such as hydration tips, injury prevention, concussion guidelines, and when to go to the emergency room. The resources will be updated as more information is needed or guidelines change.
The app includes the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) heat index guidelines.

A collaboration between Vanderbilt Sports Medicine and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the app is an extension of Vanderbilt Sports Medicine’s expertise.

PedroDaGr8
12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Excellent find D. This app (or one like it) should be required for ALL youth coaches as part of their coaching.

Darrell KSR
12-27-2012, 10:55 AM
There may be identical ones, or similar ones out there, but it's really, really good, and couldn't agree with you more that something like this ought to be required. You can input your "team" information in it, and notify them immediately with the touch of a button of a dangerous situation, and a whole bunch of other very useful features. The lightning thing is terrific. I am hopeful that my son's coaches will both download this for use in the summer and early fall in Alabama, where the heat can be stifling. My nephew plays competitive baseball in New Orleans, and they play in tournaments in the summer where they play multiple games in a day--I sent it to my brother-in-law, and hope they use it, too.

For those of us who do not know much about first aid and such, it also has a handy resource tab for injuries and such to let you know what to do as well. I'm recommending it for anybody I know who spends much time outdoors, regardless of reason.