PDA

View Full Version : Issac the storm

dan_bgblue
08-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Folks from Mobile to the west coast of FL should be watching this storm over the next 24-48 hours. The final storm track and potential intensity will likely be known by the end of 48 hours. If it stays east and hugs the western FL coastline, hurricane development is not likely beyond a weak Cat 1 at most, but if the track is 100-200 miles west of that, a Cat 2 at landfall on the western FL panhandle or central AL coastline is much more likely. It could track straight up the center of FL and bring high winds to the Keys and south FL with lots of rain thru the central part of the state, but I think that is the least likely course.

Regardless it is gonna be a rainmaker for all in that vicinity.

Darrell KSR
08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Keeping an eye on it. Was supposed to go to the coast for some business; kinda playing it by ear right now.

suncat05
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Might want to delay that for a couple of days, if you can Darrell.
My girls @ Emergency Management are telling me it will be mostly a rain event, with some front side winds where we're at. Myself, I kind of hope it does hug the west coast of Florida, as it will give us plenty of much needed rain and some winds that will help clear out some areas of brush/trees of weak limbs and so forth, and it also might disrupt the fall cycle of love bugs too, hopefully.
My agency has us on stand-by until we know something for sure, so I'm not wandering too far from the house. Spent all morning tidying up loose ends outside and securing everything that could potentially become a missle/projectile if picked up by the wind. We have an emergency Commission meeting @ 4 PM that I will have to attend for the Sheriff's Office.
I think we're going to be okay. I just don't see this storm turning into another "Charlie" or "Wilma", but you never know with these things. :eek:

dan_bgblue
08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
From the NWS Hurricane Center 11 AM Discussion (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/251502.shtml)

FWIW, and I know that is not much, I completely agree with them this time.

WTNT44 KNHC 251502
TCDAT4

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC DISCUSSION NUMBER 18
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092012
1100 AM EDT SAT AUG 25 2012

ISAAC HAS BEEN SOMEWHAT DISRUPTED BY ITS PASSAGE ACROSS HAITI. THE
LAST REPORT FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT
SHOWED THAT THE CENTER PRESSURE HAD RISEN TO 998 MB...AND THAT THE
STRONGEST FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS WERE 60-70 N MI FROM THE CENTER. THESE
WINDS SUPPORT AN INITIAL INTENSITY OF 50 KT. THE CONVECTIVE
PATTERN IS DISORGANIZED...WITH LARGE CONVECTIVE BANDS SOUTH OF
HISPANIOLA AND LITTLE CONVECTION CURRENTLY NEAR THE CENTER. IT
SHOULD BE NOTED THAT ISAAC IS AT THE EASTERN END OF A LARGE AND
ELONGATED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN
SEA...WHICH IS CREATING A LARGE AREA OF STRONG EASTERLY LOW-LEVEL
WINDS WELL TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE CENTER.

THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER HAS JOGGED WESTWARD DURING THE PAST FEW
HOURS...AND THE INITIAL MOTION IS A SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN 315/15. IN
THE SHORT-TERM...A MID/UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED
STATES IS LIFTING OUT TO THE NORTHEAST AS A UPPER-LEVEL LOW MOVES
SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO. THIS EVOLUTION...
COMBINED WITH THE LOW-LEVEL RIDGE NORTH OF ISAAC...SHOULD STEER THE
CYCLONE GENERALLY NORTHWESTWARD NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF CUBA AND THE
FLORIDA KEYS DURING THE NEXT 48 HR AS INDICATED BY THE TIGHTLY-
CLUSTERED MODEL GUIDANCE. AFTER THAT...THE CYCLONE IS EXPECTED TO
MOVE AROUND THE WESTERN END OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE AND TURN MORE
NORTHWARD OVER THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. WHILE THE GUIDANCE
GENERALLY AGREES WITH THIS SCENARIO...THERE IS A SPREAD IN
POTENTIAL LANDFALL LOCATIONS BETWEEN THE EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE
AND SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA...WHICH LOWERS CONFIDENCE IN THE FINAL
LANDFALL POINT. THE NEW FORECAST TRACK FOLLOWS THE CENTER OF THE
GUIDANCE ENVELOPE AND THE CONSENSUS MODELS IN CALLING FOR LANDFALL
IN THE WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE BETWEEN 72-96 HR.

LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS EXPECTED TODAY DUE TO A COMBINATION OF
LAND INTERACTION...SOME WESTERLY SHEAR...AND THE CURRENT LACK OF
CONVECTION. THE SHEAR IS FORECAST TO DECREASE AS THE CENTER MOVES
AWAY FROM LAND...WOULD SHOULD ALLOW FOR STRENGTHENING AFTER 12 HR.
THE NEW INTENSITY FORECAST IS SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS FORECAST
THROUGH 48 HR...THEN CALLS FOR A LITTLE MORE STRENGTHENING THAN THE
PREVIOUS FORECAST OVER THE NORTHERN GULF. THE CYCLONE SHOULD
WEAKEN TO A DEPRESSION AFTER LANDFALL ON THE NORTHERN GULF COAST.

THE NEW NHC FORECAST NECESSITATES THE ISSUANCE OF ADDITIONAL
TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS AND WATCHES FOR PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA
PENINSULA.

IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO FOCUS ON THE EXACT TRACK OF ISAAC DUE TO THE
UNCERTAINTIES IN THE FORECAST AND THE FACT THAT ISAAC HAS A LARGE
AREA OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 25/1500Z 20.1N 74.6W 50 KT 60 MPH
12H 26/0000Z 21.7N 76.4W 50 KT 60 MPH
24H 26/1200Z 23.3N 79.0W 55 KT 65 MPH
36H 27/0000Z 24.7N 81.3W 65 KT 75 MPH
48H 27/1200Z 25.9N 83.1W 75 KT 85 MPH
72H 28/1200Z 28.5N 85.5W 85 KT 100 MPH
96H 29/1200Z 31.5N 86.5W 65 KT 75 MPH...INLAND
120H 30/1200Z 33.0N 86.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND

dan_bgblue
08-25-2012, 02:30 PM
If anyone would like to have a Lat/Lon chart of the Atlantic hurricane basin, Carri bean, and GOM, it can be gotten here (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/tracking_chart_atlantic.pdf)

Makes following the track of the storm easier for most folks.

dan_bgblue
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Since distance between the Lat/Lon lines varies depending on distance from the Equator, Here (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gccalc.shtml?) is a nifty tool to use to convert Lat/Lon numbers to distance. km, nm, and sm distance scales can be chosen by user.

Doc
08-25-2012, 04:27 PM
We are expecting lots of rain but are far enough out of the "cone of uncertainty" to not be too worried. However I did fire up my generator today to be sure all was working as well as dumping about 3 inches of water out of my pool (big rains tend to flood my patio which in turn fills my pool until the overflow reaches my house and into the living room, hence we lower the pool with acts as a reservior).

Darrell KSR
08-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Might want to delay that for a couple of days, if you can Darrell.

Yeah, it's pretty flexible, too, so no need of even riding in a lot of rain. I can postpone it a week.

Catonahottinroof
08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm due on the coast next weekend. Here's to hoping its a rain event and nothing more.

Doc
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
So far its not moving all that rapidly, only around 15 mph. IMO the worse storms are the slow moving ones. I prefer them to come in and move on quickly. A slow one dumps rain and more rain. They were predicting us to be in the windfield by now but still calm.

dan_bgblue
08-25-2012, 10:13 PM

jazyd
08-26-2012, 12:06 AM
In some ways this storm is needed as long as it does not intensify, the rain is needed in Fl, Georgia and Ala, and we could use some in Miss. We shall see what happens.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2012, 12:39 AM

I have little to complain about living that far from the coast, but looks like it'll be passing through me pretty good later in the week.

dan_bgblue
08-26-2012, 11:03 AM
NHC bumped the storm track just a bit west at 11. They are not confident on the track at all. Once the TS completely forms an eyewall and intensifies into a hurricane, they will get a better handle on the track. The current cone of uncertainty is still very wide and truthfully extends from NO to the central FL panhandle. 1 of the most reliable computer models still is predicting a move east once the storm passes the Keys, but many others are forming a consensus for a track further to the west. I suspect at the end of the 48 hour period mentioned yesterday, we will all know much more about the track.

Catonahottinroof
08-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Hoping for speed now. The slower it gets, the more havoc, both for my trip and subsequent workload after it happens :/

Doc
08-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Hoping for speed now. The slower it gets, the more havoc, both for my trip and subsequent workload after it happens :/

Yep, it needs to get rolling. We are now getting hit with band after band. Hard rain and moderate winds. Gusts around 50 mph. I'm on the east coast of fl so this is as bad as this storm should get us. Good chance no school tomorrow for kid as buses don't run if wind over 35 mph

suncat05
08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
I just left work. Winds are not too bad at this point, but we're getting a ton of rain. Just band after band of hard, driving rains. But aside from that, nothing much to report from the day shift here.
There were hardly any radio calls for service today, most everybody is doing the right thing and staying inside.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2012, 05:49 PM
There were hardly any radio calls for service today, most everybody is doing the right thing and staying inside.

Occasionally people use good common sense.

Occasionally.

dan_bgblue
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I hope the rain ceases soon, so flooding will not be an issue for most areas. Right now the center of the track is between Nola and Mobile, but the mets are still in a quandary as some models indicate a turn to the east within the next 12 to 36 hours

5 PM update from NHC

WTNT44 KNHC 262102
TCDAT4

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC DISCUSSION NUMBER 23
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092012
500 PM EDT SUN AUG 26 2012

ALTHOUGH SATELLITE AND RADAR IMAGES HAVE SUGGESTED THAT THE TROPICAL
CYCLONE WAS BECOMING A LITTLE BETTER ORGANIZED...AN AIR FORCE
HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING ISAAC THIS AFTERNOON HAVE
FOUND THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO STRENGTHENING OF THE STORM.
FLIGHT-LEVEL AND SFMR-OBSERVED WINDS SUPPORT AN INTENSITY OF 50 KT.
THERE IS STILL A WELL-ESTABLISHED UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW PATTERN OVER
THE SYSTEM...AND VERTICAL SHEAR SHOULD REMAIN FAIRLY LIGHT FOR THE
NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. INTENSIFICATION STILL SEEMS LIKELY AS ISAAC
MOVES OVER THE EASTERN GULF...AND POSSIBLY OVER THE HIGHER HEAT
CONTENT OF THE LOOP CURRENT. THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FOREAST IS
CLOSE TO THE LATEST LGEM GUIDANCE...AND NOT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THE
PREVIOUS NHC FORECAST.

ISAAC HAS MOVED A LITTLE TO THE LEFT OF PREVIOUS PROJECTIONS AND
CENTER FIXES YIELD A 6- TO 12-HOUR AVERAGED MOTION OF 295/15. THE
TRACK FORECAST CONTINUES TO BE CHALLENGING. THE DYNAMICAL MODELS
SHOW THE TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE GRADUALLY TURNING TO THE RIGHT
AND HEADING FOR A BREAK IN THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE. HOWEVER...THERE
ARE SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MOST RELIABLE MODELS AS TO
WHERE ISAAC MIGHT CROSS THE NORTHERN GULF COAST. THE U.K. MET.
OFFICE AND ECMWF MODELS ARE ABOUT 300 N MI TO THE EAST OF THE GFS
AT LANDFALL. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT NEARLY ALL OF THE GFS ENSMEBLE
MEMBERS ARE EAST OF THE GFS CONTROL TRACK. BECAUSE OF THE WIDE
MODEL SPREAD...THERE CONTINUES TO BE GREATER THAN USUAL TRACK
FORECAST UNCERTAINTY.

THROUGHOUT THE PERIOD...IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO FOCUS ON THE EXACT
FORECAST TRACK DUE TO FORECAST UNCERTAINTIES AND THE FACT THAT
SIGNIFICANT HAZARDS EXTEND WELL AWAY FROM THE CENTER.

THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK AND WIND RADII NECESSITATE THE ISSUANCE
OF A HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN GULF COAST AT THIS TIME.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 26/2100Z 24.2N 82.3W 50 KT 60 MPH
12H 27/0600Z 25.1N 83.9W 55 KT 65 MPH
24H 27/1800Z 26.3N 85.9W 60 KT 70 MPH
36H 28/0600Z 27.7N 87.6W 70 KT 80 MPH
48H 28/1800Z 28.9N 88.5W 80 KT 90 MPH
72H 29/1800Z 30.7N 89.5W 85 KT 100 MPH...INLAND
96H 30/1800Z 32.5N 90.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
120H 31/1800Z 34.5N 90.0W 20 KT 25 MPH...INLAND

Doc
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I just left work. Winds are not too bad at this point, but we're getting a ton of rain. Just band after band of hard, driving rains. But aside from that, nothing much to report from the day shift here.

Are folks lining up for free **** yet? That is the thing about hurricanes that always cracks me up. Usually before the storm stops, folks are lining up for free water and food.

dan_bgblue
08-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Track still moving west

suncat05
08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Are folks lining up for free **** yet? That is the thing about hurricanes that always cracks me up. Usually before the storm stops, folks are lining up for free water and food.

No, surprisingly. But then too, the shelters that were open here have already closed, and aside from some mild flooding there have been no reports of property damage, no injuries or weather related deaths.
Only one knucklehead was arrested yesterday, on a child support warrant.

Darrell KSR
08-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Katrina-like track, Dan?

Wife's family making decision today, but think they ride out anything less than a "3." Have reservations here in Birmingham as well as Baton Rouge, as is their norm, but I anticipate they will cancel both.

Doc
08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Ugh, we are getting absolutely slammed here. The rain is incredible. There is a good chance I'll be sleeping at work tonight as my development is literally underwater. I went home at lunch to dump my pool for the third time and had a heck of a time getting in. By the time I left an hour later I nearly could not make it out (and my daughter boyfriend did in fact get swamped, his car is abandoned on the side of the road). I'd not have left home except for I have to pick my son up at 3:30. I likely will have to walk a mile thru 2 foot deep water to get home

http://www.weatherstreet.com/ridge/Stuart-FL-34996-radar.htm

I'm half way between west palm beach and fort pierce

dan_bgblue
08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Katrina like enough to make lots of folks nervous. The track is similar but the developmental conditions are vastly different, or at least they were this morning when I last looked at it.

Catonahottinroof
08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
This will be a major flooding event. It's moving so slowly and the landfall cone is already flood prone without 15-20 inches of rain occurring.

Doc
08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
School here cancelled tomorrow due to the flooding. Did not dismiss early however the school did an auto call to all parents...elementary and middle school kids had to have a parent at the bus stop or they would not let the child off and would take them back to school. First time I ever heard that happen.
We literally are standed in our development. The gate street by the gate house is basically a parking lot as folks pull in and park their cars, then walk to their homes because the streets are a lake. Cars flooded all over the place

dan_bgblue
08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
My best guess. If it intensifies over night into a moderate Cat 1 it will turn more NNE and NOLA will be on the west side at landfall which will be close to Mobile or a little east of that. If it does not intensify over night, then it will move more north west at a 6-8 mph crawl and the gulf coast from Lake Charles to Pensacola will get soaked over the next 24-48 hours. TIFWIW as I don't do this for a living:D

jazyd
08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
We are going to get a lot of rain here in central Miss, but what I hope we don't get is the tornadoes. People were lined up 4 deep at every pump last night and this afternnon.

doc it looked like you had a huge yellow band of rain on your side of the state.

Lfbj00
08-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I hope you guys are faring OK down there. My buddy and his wife flew down to Daytona Saturday and are staying with his wife's parents. He called me today and said it rained all day, but they were expecting it to be better tomorrow.

It looks like Issac may track north/northeast after it makes landfall. It could be pretty interesting on Sunday for the game here in Louisville.

dan_bgblue
08-28-2012, 05:16 AM
I hope the pumps at NOLA are in excellent working order.

jazyd
08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Supposed to go Northwest into Ark which badly needs rain. We are on the east side of the storm so we will get maybe 10-12 inches of rain and winds, like doc got on the east side in Florida.

I hope you guys are faring OK down there. My buddy and his wife flew down to Daytona Saturday and are staying with his wife's parents. He called me today and said it rained all day, but they were expecting it to be better tomorrow.

It looks like Issac may track north/northeast after it makes landfall. It could be pretty interesting on Sunday for the game here in Louisville.

CitizenBBN
08-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Doc, is your house OK? Sounds like it's between your development and the main road but the house is OK?

Doc
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Doc, is your house OK? Sounds like it's between your development and the main road but the house is OK?

Yes, we are good. They opened the development front gate of our development, as the waters have receded so now we can get to our house. My daughters boyfriend's car is toast though as he sucked water thru the engine and poss bent the rods. 21 year old kids never listen (I told him not to try to drive thru the floodwater). Saved any flooding in my house by about a half inch as the flood waters had made it to the tracks of the sliding glass doors but not above the lip bottom of the tile. Kids had no school and my wife had the day off as well. Good thing about storms is they suck the weather out once they get thru.

Darrell KSR
08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I hope the pumps at NOLA are in excellent working order.

They are a lot better prepared today than they were seven years ago. Not there seven years ago was a massive structure with 11 flood gates and eight massive pipes connected to pumps at the 17th Street Canal district--the ones where the levees breached.

Each pipe has the capacity to pump out more than 8,000 gallons of water.

Each second.

Can you imagine something like that? Of course, the idiots in New Orleans will think this makes them bullet-proof now, when in fact, it's just a better preparation.

My family members are there; I'm sure we'll be touching base with them late tonight and tomorrow. My in-laws live on Lake Pontchartrain. I have walked from their house with the kids to the lake, literally less than 1/2 block to the levee, many times, and walked around the Lake. Fortunately, they have never flooded. But it scares me to death.

My father-in-law is in Houston right now on business, and mother-in-law at least has gone to stay with my sister-in-law in Metairie--who, coincidentally, *did* have flooding from Katrina on her street. Go figure.

Anyway, they are hunkering down and ready to roll with the hurricane. I don't know, the rain in a slow-moving "1" would bother me more than the winds in a fast moving "3," but they typically stay for "1" and "2" hurricanes; leave on "3."

Catonahottinroof
08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Katrina was a man-made disaster. A levee failure of sorts, either by failure of the earthen levee, or by the barge that helped to break the earthen levee.
I've heard conjecture on news broadcasts today that 20 inches of rain in 24 hrs will innundate the West bank levee which hasn't been upgraded at this point, by as much as 3 feet.
Torrential rain is always the issue for New Orleans, not the wind. It wasn't in Katrina, and it will not be with this one either. Moving the water there is a shell game, fresh water rises on Ponchartrain and Borgne, sea water surges from outside the system.
I love New Orleans, but I could never live there due to this issue...

Darrell KSR
08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Lived there for five years, and hunkered down one hurricane--stayed with my (future) in-laws while I was dating my now-wife.

They've been there for 70+ years. Sorta build in a budget-line item for evacuation expenses annually. We enjoy it when they evacuate to Birmingham, which is 5-1/2 hours away or so, and we get to visit. Of course, remember the budget--they make sure they evacuate to a Birmingham HOTEL, and not to the Cartwright Residence Inn. :)

Catonahottinroof
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Love to visit The Big Easy. You just won't find much that tops the local seafood or local flair.. Did you buy any lottery tickets while you were there Darrell? You sure had good luck there :)

Darrell KSR
08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I did have great luck there, but no lottery winnings, unfortunately. It's why I drive a 20-year old Volvo. Well, that and five kids.

Doc
08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
looks like its just about to make landfall.

MickintheHam
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Jazy, went with me on a tour of my aunt's old neighborhood on the Lakefront in NOLA when we were there for the Final Four this spring. It was the first time I had returned there since Katrina. I wasn't adequately prepared for what I witnessed. (I thought I was). I had been in her home dozens of times and as a kid would stay there for a couple of weeks each summer and sometimes a week at spring break. I knew the neighborhood like the back of my hand as we were always riding bicycles all over town. As we drove down Robert E Lee Blvd. I had to read every sign to find out where I was. Seven years later there was nothing recognizable. The street was a bit rough, not the smooth concrete I used to love riding on.

Her house ran a block south of the Boulevard. When we came to the connector street I ran right by it as there was no sign. I finally figured out I went too far and turned at another street. We came to Aviator St and I didn't recognize anything. Only at Jazy's urging did I go down the street. The street was really rough. Slabs of concrete had heaved and I had to drive around many of them. Even at that it was extremely bumpy. There were very few houses on the street. What was once a beautiful upper middle class neighborhood with beautiful houses and neatly groomed lawns was a battle zone. When I came to about where I thought her house used to be, there was only one house on the south side of the street. After a few minutes I determined it was her house but it was unrecognizable. The brick was covered with a heavy dark gray masonry type of bonding or paint. What used to be a lovely old brick was a masonry mess. The once well kept front lawn was dark gray bare earth. The Pacquette's house next door was no more. Mr. Pacquette was an artist and designed all of the posters for Mardi Gras. He had all of the orignials for over 20 years stored in his attic. Not only were they gone, but so was the house. It was a sickening site.

The New Orleans I knew as a kid was completely gone. It was almost as though it never existed. I wish all of the folks there the very best. No one needs to go through such devastation twice in a lifetime.

Doc
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Fortunately it did not develop as quickly as predicted and looks like it won't get above a Cat 1. Those are definitely not a huge concern wind wise however the slow movement (10 mph) isn't a good thing especially for a city like New Orleans which is basically a bowl that sits below sea level. Hopefully the pumps can keep up. I hope they have been running full bore for the last couple days.

jazyd
08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Right now the sun is out and a beautiful afternoon, but it is coming and soon, lots of rain. And we are on the NE side of things so we have to be on the watch for tornados, lots of rain, but the winds shouldn't be really bad this time. NO was getting lots of rain and wind early this morning according to a UK friend that lives there.

jazyd
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Storm has slightly moved west, will pass between NO and BR but closer to BR, has slowed down. Over 50,000 w/o power in La right now and it hasn't even come ashore yet. NO and BR are expected to get between 22 and 25" of rain. Miss coast about 10" of rain plus the surge of water.

Darrell KSR
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Family has been without power for an hour already in New Orleans.

Darrell KSR
08-29-2012, 01:13 AM
It's 1:10 a.m. CT, and Isaac is stationary, dumping a lot of rain in the area. Sister-in-law texted at 8 p.m. CT and said they were without power. Texted around 11 and said the wind had picked up some, but wasn't bad. Don't think the wind will be an issue for them, but worried about the rain.

jazyd
08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Water is over a levee in Belle Chase area, which is on the west bank across from the city. so far pumps are working, Miss coast is getting pounded by wind and rain. Thing is just sitting there. We still don't have any rain in Jackson because of the slow movement.

jazyd
08-29-2012, 05:53 PM
This thing is moving so slow, and raining like crazy. Winds are still going out over the gulf and then bringing in more moisture, could rain for days

jazyd
08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Heard one man report he saw water coming thru the bricks of his house and water coming thru the electric outlets in Belle Chase, on the west bank in New Olreans.

Catonahottinroof
08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Some really terrible flooding in LaPlace tonight ....tornadoes in SE Mississippi too. Rough day.

Darrell KSR
08-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Funny video my sister-in-law sent me; the one that lives in Houma, La.

Isaac's eye went right through Houma. She said it wasn't bad; Houma is something like 30 miles inland and they never leave. Anyway, Isaac--which was not known for its winds--somehow picked up her daughter's trampoline, carried it over a 6-foot fence in the back yard, and placed it--apparently pretty gently--right side up in her front yard. Crazy. Even crazier, as she has trees all around, and if it had gotten much higher than just barely over the fence, it would have gone up into the trees.

She still had power earlier today; not sure if she does now or not. My sister-in-law that lives in New Orleans and that extended family of eight all lost power about 8 pm last night and are still without power--although neighbros two blocks away have power. They carried all of their electronics over to their friends house today to charge them up.

CitizenBBN
08-30-2012, 12:08 AM
They carried all of their electronics over to their friends house today to charge them up.

I'm going to get one of those radios that has a crank, batteries etc. on it that charges USB devices. I've got oil lamps for light, natural gas fireplaces for heat, but without a charge you've got no phone and that may be the biggest thing of all in this age.

Catonahottinroof
08-30-2012, 07:51 AM

I-10 at LaPlace.

jazyd
08-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Lots of flooding all over, Slidell getting it bad, Miss coast got hammered and now it is bad on the east side of the state of Miss near the Ala border.
Audobon Park in New Orleans area got 19" of rain, Gretna on the west bank where my parents lived for a long time, 18.5" of rain.
All schools in the Jackson, Ms metro area are closed today as a caution. Everything on the coast is closed. Hwy 90 along the beach was close and had up to 5' of water on it in places.

Darrell KSR
08-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm going to get one of those radios that has a crank, batteries etc. on it that charges USB devices. I've got oil lamps for light, natural gas fireplaces for heat, but without a charge you've got no phone and that may be the biggest thing of all in this age.

This won't surprise you.

We have one of those "crank" emergency radios. I don't know where it is.

I don't know if it charges USB or not--I suspect it does not. That's a great idea, though, and I will put that on my "to get" list for sure. I have a nice portable battery that is like a car battery, has jumper cables on it, etc. that can charge things, but of course, it's a limited supply since it will need to be recharged, too.

Darrell KSR
08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Spoke to brother-in-law this morning; New Orleans (Metairie) still getting a lot of rain. Said the wind has died down, which makes it very stuffy in their house, since they still lack power. Before that, with the wind and windows open, and the rain cooling the temperature, it wasn't too bad. More uncomfortable now. They are going to go over to my mother-in-law's house in Kenner, about 5 miles away, and see if she has power. No water on the streets; pumps working great in the area. Only issue is traffic lights are out, so they will have to make sure no idiots are on the road. Well, they'll have to avoid them--they'll be out.

My sister-in-law in Houma has power. Eye of Isaac passes through, she lost power for about an hour. My niece who lives there has power also. My ex-brother-in-law who lives there does not have power, but has big generators (he has a oil servicing supply company, and they have that kinda stuff for commercial needs).

jazyd
08-31-2012, 06:06 PM
still some heavy bands of rain moving thru Miss and La, will it ever stop

Lfbj00
08-31-2012, 10:12 PM

I-10 at LaPlace.

Seeing as how I'm scared to death of anything resembling a bridge with water under or around it, if I would have seen this in person, I probably would have pooped myself!! That is scary!!!

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:12 AM

I-10 at LaPlace.

While the speed limit is 70mph, I think I'd slow down.

dan_bgblue
09-01-2012, 06:37 PM
This is for Doc

CitizenBBN
09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Given the expectations it's interesting it was clear in Lex all day today. Supposed to rain tonight but the bands have gotten pretty sparse this far up. I just find it hard to believe the football game will be played in a pouring rain.

dan_bgblue
09-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Rained 1/2 inch in about 30 mins just west of BG today. NWS seems confident that tomorrow and tomorrow night will be a rain maker for much of the state. Looks like the center of the low is tracking east. Check the radar for western KY and surrounding areas and it might make a believer out of you, and than again it might not.;)

9:30 pm cdt

CitizenBBN
09-01-2012, 09:59 PM
I looked, and I guess it has to, but if it all dissipated and showed back up in Uganda I wouldn't be surprised. Never trust those weathermen. The cute female ones are OK, but those guys are all liars. ;)

I have planned to watch the game at a bar indoors as opposed to my favorite patio, so I guess my actions speak louder than my words. Either that or I'm an idiot and hypocrite, which are also definitely options.

Darrell KSR
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
MIL/FIL got power back yesterday in Kenner; BIL/SIL in Metairie still without power; SIL in Houma has had power almost continuously, except for a brief outage of about an hour.