PDA

View Full Version : Who likes egg nog?

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm not a fan. Had some wine this Christmas and enjoyed that; would've enjoyed some nice bourbon but I didn't have any in the house. But egg nog?

I know there are some fans...check in here.

KSRBEvans
12-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Love it, esp with Kentucky Bourbon for "taste." :happy0001:

Next year I'm going to try homemade egg nog--Alton Brown's recipe (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/154902) looks intriguing.

suncat05
12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I like it. And it is especially good with a healthy shot of good 'ol Kentucky bourbon in it for 'taste', as 'Evans stated previously. :happy0001:

CitizenBBN
12-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I like about an old fashion glass worth on occasion. Wouldn't down the carton but I like a nip of it here and there.

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm just not much on a sweet alcoholic drink. Never have been. Maybe I need more bourbon.

suncat05
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm just not much on a sweet alcoholic drink. Never have been. Maybe I need more bourbon.

LOL! Try 2 shots instead of 1........... :happy0005:

CitizenBBN
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm the same way generally, which is why I only drink a glass of it. It's like an ice cream cone. I like them but I won't eat more than 2 scoops.

One exception is the Moscow Mule which is made with ginger beer. I can drink a LOT of those, esp. if Bobbi is making them.

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
It's funny, because I like sweet drinks, just not "adult" ones. Give me a Cherry Berry Chiller, and I love it. Hurricane, not so much. I think I am a boring adult beverage drinker anyway. Not a mixed drink fan to begin with, although I will do it.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

CitizenBBN
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Not a mixed drink fan to begin with, although I will do it.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Oooo, a challenge. Maybe you just haven't met the right mixologist b/c I wasn't either but I've become a huge fan of the old school drinks. No Choco-tinis or similar nonsense, but the moscow mule, gimlets, the perfect martini, a few others. The problem is 95% of bartenders aren't really drink makers, thus the need for the new word mixologist to define a bartender who is a true maker of drinks. Also have to have a bar properly equipped. Fresh fruit for the drinks, a full range of things like Angostura bitters.

Versus a badly made drink I'd rather just have a Miller lite.

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 01:24 PM
I'll take any number of "regular" beers...Bud Light, like the Michelob products, and enjoy the lagers if I'm just going to have one while sitting in the den kiinda thing, over most "drinks."

Let me sip on some bourbon neat, or on the rocks if I want it watered a bit, and I prefer that to most mixed drinks. I don't think it's a product of the mixologist, although that plays a part. I like consistency, too, and since I won't be found at the same place too often (harder to hit a moving target, you know), it won't do me much good if the mixologist at "Joe's" really knows how to fix something that the one at "Philly's" doesn't know how to do very well.

Really want a "mixed" drink? OK, give me a bloody mary at the right time, of course. Basic screwdriver, I guess. Does a margarita count?

Told you, boring.

CitizenBBN
12-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Of course a Margarita counts. After the martini the hardest drink to get made correctly. People butcher the classic drink with sweet and sour, other weird juices, non-fresh lime juice, cheap liquors like cheap Triple Sec and worst of all nasty tequilas.

As you can tell I'm a top shelf guy. Life is too short for cheap liquor and cheap toilet paper. If I can't afford a quality liquor I'll stick to beer. In the margarita I personally prefer blanco b/c they give a crisper taste when mixed with the lime juice. For sipping I prefer reposado or anejo depending on my mood. Petron is a good blanco for margaritas b/c it's very crisp. There's one called Yeyo they say is really good but I haven't had it. For the older tequilas Don Julio's top stuff or Tres Generacions.

The fruffy stuff is fine, to each his own, but the classic "cocktail era" version is tequila, fresh lime juice, a sweetener (optional) and Cointreau. I cut it with water for most folks. That's where bars do it wrong, they cut it with sweet and sour or some other thing. It' loses the clean taste of the blanco tequila. For a non-sicky sweet drink use sweet and low or something, it actually works great. otherwise a dash of simple syrup as in mojitos.

On the rocks, shaken, with salt. Properly made the margarita is a classic 40s style cocktail, not some "order one of these b/c I don't like hard liquor" drink.

Yes, I'm opinionated on my drinks. Open to any new combo and have changed my mind over the years, but as a fan of the classic cocktail I like drinks that are crisp and have a purpose for being mixed, not just "what can we put into this thing". I think most people have never had a properly made cocktail made by a true expert.

Also a devotee of quality liquors in them. Too many slip bottom row stuff into mixed drinks thinking it covers it up. It doesn't. The liquor should be the foundation of the drink, can't scrimp on it.

PS - don't even get me started on how the martini is butchered. Not just the weird ones with "tini" stuck on the end, but how almost no bartender can make a proper martini. I love a martini but never order them except in one bar.

End rant.

Catfan73
12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Great discussion. I'm with Cit, a bad cocktail isn't worth the drinking, which is probably why most people avoid them. Its just too hard to get a good one unless you make it yourself. My wife had pretty much given up on getting a drinkable Margarita until I advised her to splurge and try Patron. Now she tells the order taker exactly how she wants it made.

Egg nog is good with a couple of shots of good bourbon, but you have to mix it really well to keep the alcohol from causing the nog to separate. Put a dash of nutmeg on top. Real egg custard, pass.

PedroDaGr8
12-26-2012, 06:09 PM
My opinion on eggnog is well summed up by Dave Attell:

Eggnog, who thought that one up? “I wanna get a little drunk, but I also want some pancakes.”

Plus I absolutely HATE nutmeg. I don't know why, used to love nutmeg but around 3-4 yrs ago discovered nutmeg makes me nauseated. So yeah in summary I think eggnog is about the most horrible drink ever invented.

Doc
12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm with Pedro on that. I hate egg nog. Give me a bourbon OTR

Got another small batch for Xmas, Bernheim which is a wheat based whiskey (not a true bourbon though) which is next to my birthday bottle of 20 year old Pappy. Anybody ever had Bernheim? I'm intrigued but will wait to crack it til a few of my other bottles are empty.

anyway, I don't eat or drink raw eggs. I had salmonella once, that was enough!

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't mind being outnumbered; just glad I'm not out here on an island now!

CitizenBBN
12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I should also say if you give me a glass of Bailey's or eggnog it's Bailey's every time. I rarely drink coffee but after a really fine meal an espresso or nice coffee and a side of bailey's with one ice cube is a wonderful ending.

So I like a bit, but other such things like Bailey's or a DQ blizzard are well above it on the list. You'd be surprised all the things you can put liquor in.

Darrell KSR
12-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Reeses Pieces & Rum blizzard? Tequila blizzard? Vodka and gin in those babies? You're a power guy.

Man, I love me a good DQ blizzard, but I'll have one of them for dessert and the other for a pre-dessert or after-dessert thing. I can go either way with the drink. ;)

kritikalcat
12-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Pedro, you may already know this, but nutmeg IS psychoactive (supposed to be a pretty nasty trip) and toxic. it takes some quantity above what one would normally find, but maybe some people are susceptible to effects from smaller doses? Nausea is one effect.

suncat05
12-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Here's one for you guys: Creme de Cocoa & milk. I do not know the actual name for it, but it sure does taste like chocolate milk..........with a slight bite! :winking0011:

blueboss
12-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I enjoy egg nog during the holidays, instead of wasting good bourbon on egg nog you might try it with a nice dark/gold rum.

BarristerCat
12-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Boiled custard > egg nog.

CatinIL
12-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I've never had it...what does it taste like?

CGWildcat
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Egg nog but only certain brands!!! Hood and Berkley are tops (east/west coast). Usually drink it straight but sometimes add nutmeg and put in freezer for a couple hours and have an egg nog slush!! Tried it before with different "additives" rum and bourbon both. Take it or leave it that way.....Doc, I also received some Bernheim for Christmas....will wait to open though. Came highly suggested.

KSRBEvans
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Boiled custard > egg nog.

I wonder if it's a regional thing. I'm from Eastern Kentucky--my wife's from far western Kentucky (Carlisle County--it doesn't get much more "western Kentucky" than that). I'd never even heard of boiled custard until I spent Christmas over there. That's all they drink--no egg nog, just boiled custard.

I like boiled custard fine--I just prefer the "eggy" taste and extra sweetness of egg nog a little more.

BarristerCat
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I wonder if it's a regional thing. I'm from Eastern Kentucky--my wife's from far western Kentucky (Carlisle County--it doesn't get much more "western Kentucky" than that). I'd never even heard of boiled custard until I spent Christmas over there. That's all they drink--no egg nog, just boiled custard.

I like boiled custard fine--I just prefer the "eggy" taste and extra sweetness of egg nog a little more.

Hmmm...interesting. I'm from Eastern KY and so is my whole family and we never drank egg nog. It was always custard. Lots of people around home even make their own custard, but I don't know that I have ever heard of anybody making any egg nog.

I'm surprised that you see nog as being sweeter than custard. I'd say it was the other way around. Some custards taste more or less like melted ice cream. It's hard to get much sweeter than that. As an older lady back home once remarked: "People's tastes is just different."

KSRBEvans
01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
^The custard I've drunk is home-made, and maybe the family recipe is not as sweet as the store-bought egg nog I've drunk.

Like I said at the top, I think I'm going to try homemade egg nog next season and see what I get. That recipe calls for rum, brandy and bourbon, so even if it doesn't turn out right it should have some redeeming value. :evilgrin0007: