PDA

View Full Version : 11-11-18

UKFlounder
11-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Only a week away, it should be a major day of thanks and remembrance, the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

bigsky
11-06-2018, 09:17 AM
Good reminder

UKFlounder
11-11-2018, 08:50 AM
11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month....

bigsky
11-11-2018, 03:38 PM
I was at the groundbreaking of the new veterans cemetary, gray overcast skies leaking big soft snowflakes, with the Legion chapters and Viet Vets and Marine Corps league guys. We don’t have DoD recognition yet— but in my 2nd term I started the campaign from the city side to match a few Vets from various SW Montana organizations; we donated land next to the (we bought a travelling Vietnam wall) wall, we donated funds slowly developing the site every year, designed the 1st phase columbarium, all to DoD standards. It is a long play; when there are enough vets there we will get our Senators to prevail on DoD for official recognition.

Like usual, I cried. The Veterans are so kind to me when all I do is what should be done. A hundred years ago today silence fell on the battlefield of “the war to end all wars”.

UKFlounder
11-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Good for you.

An event I attended today included a group called “Young Marines.” They are not officially associated with the military, but are pretty impressive young boys and girls, and stood through the whole ceremony, saluted the flags and the veterans. One young girl stood and described their purpose in front of the crowd, all from memory. It was impressive public speaking for an 8 year old. The veterans in attendance appreciated the respect the kids displayed.

A couple local motorcycle groups also attended, with flags flying from their bikes.

As usual, closing with the playing of “Tapps” was really a perfect end.