PDA

View Full Version : Hacked again......

Doc
10-17-2018, 12:25 PM
last week I had my chevron card hacked to the tune of $375.00. Three purchases o $120.00 within an hour at a S. FL gas station. I was at a funeral at the time.

Just got off the phone with Bank of America. They wanted to see if I was in Atlanta at the Apple store. Somebody just put $6500 on my card. Usually I give attitude when I get an out of the blue call, figuring its somebody fishing. When Chevron called, they left a message and I called back. They asked for my account number and I would not give it to them, explained why (I suspected fishing). They looked it up then grilled me on the charges. My response was "You called me because you suspected fraud...now you don't believe me when a tell you it isn't me?" Who buy 40 gallons of gas, 30 min later buys 40 gallons of gas, then 30 min later buys 40 gallons of gas? On the BOA call, they gave me my acct number, didn't ask for any proof of who I was (SS#, DOB, etc) because they would not have gotten it.

Doc
10-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Coincidence or not?? My phone stopped working due to "SIM card no provisioned" Started mid morning. When I talked to BOA they stated they tried to call my cell (I asked why they called work and not my cell) and they said they did but somebody else answered. So I just got off the phone with ATT and somehow my SIM card in the phone does not match the SIM card number they have. In otherwords somehow either the card in my phone was changed (DID NOT HAPPEN as I had to google how to get the card out) or somebody got into the database at ATT and changed it. I'm now off to ATT for a new SIM card, new PIN number and to unsuspend my service.

And I do have Identity Shield so if this is a disaster then I'm covered.

KSRBEvans
10-17-2018, 02:42 PM
All I can say is "Ugh." It's tough to live in a world of "convenience," where it's also much easier to have your personal info stolen. Same thing with debit card and credit card happened to me in 2016. It's such a pain to get everything back up and running, especially since I have many of my accounts set up for automatic debit through my debit/credit cards. I don't want to even think about having to do another SIM card and go through that mess.

Darrell KSR
10-17-2018, 04:41 PM
I had the same card hacked three times in a period of less than 12 months. I really started getting concerned that the credit card company might not believe me one of those times, but they reversed the improper charges and sent me a new card each time.

A few years ago, I had $3,000 worth of clothing charged in New England. They asked if it was mine, and I told them I haven't bought $3,000 worth of clothes in 50 + years.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 09:31 PM
I have my cards with Capital One, and I must say their monitoring is first rate. Can be a pain once in a while, I was once on a trip to Pittsburgh and by the time I got there they thought it was fraud and locked my card as a precaution, but I'd much rather have that than be on the hook for charges, so no complaints.

They reach out quickly on anything suspicious, I can deal with it right away.

But you've convinced me to do more Doc.

As an aside, anyone have a monitoring service they really like? We got a lifelock package with something else, but I think I need to look at it closer.

Doc
10-17-2018, 11:11 PM
been dealing with it all night. They hack the credit card base for your phone and e mail, then get into ATT and change the SIM card number so they get your text messages. Then they attempt to log in but go to "forgot password" where the reset code is texted to you, but b/c the SIM card number is changed they get the code, not you. They then reset the password on your email and are in like Flynn. They have your email and text so can go to whatever accts you have and reset the PW. With mine they link my credit card to apple pay and went shopping. I never got the notificatoion of the applepay link because they had changed my email password. Unfortunately the also likely have my SS # from the card hack. I contacted Fed Trade Comission ID theft as well as my ID shield. I now have a year lock on where any attempt to open any credit account anywhere results in a phone call. also registered with Soc Security now so as to do it before somebody else does and pulls out my benefits.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Holy crap Doc. That's some deep level identity theft. Not even sure where you'd start to stop something like that.

how did they get into ATT?

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Read up on this, and one way they can do it is show up to the store with fake ID and transfer the number to another phone/sim.

I just added extra passcode security for that function, may slow them down some. Still wondering if they hacked you online on the account or went in and transferred the phone. That's serious, getting the phone transferred, b/c that's everyone's two stage security option.

Doc
10-18-2018, 05:19 AM
Holy crap Doc. That's some deep level identity theft. Not even sure where you'd start to stop something like that.

how did they get into ATT?

thats the question.....

Ive added the extra.securtiy of a pass code they require for everything

CitizenBBN
10-18-2018, 10:13 AM
thats the question.....

Ive added the extra.securtiy of a pass code they require for everything

I did that at 12:30 this morning after reading this thread.

From googling it sounds like one method is to just go to a store with fake ID, I guess report the phone lost and have them move the info to a new sim and phone.

I added the passcode, but didn't get the text about it till like 8:30 this morning, so I called to make sure that was for my change and not a different one. The guy assured me more than once they could help me change it if I forgot it. WTF? The whole point is to add security, not help me get around security.

Even on their website it says the extra code will be used "at some stores". So there are stores where they don't verify with that code? That's like securing your home by locking SOME of the doors and windows. Dumbasses.

Did it show you having no service on your phone? That's apparently how you find out this has happened, b/c they move the account to the new sim, the old one stops working.

KentuckyWildcat
10-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Doc, there are free versions of the websites you are paying for....those pay sites tend to get you hacked.

Doc
10-18-2018, 02:25 PM
I did that at 12:30 this morning after reading this thread.

From googling it sounds like one method is to just go to a store with fake ID, I guess report the phone lost and have them move the info to a new sim and phone.

I added the passcode, but didn't get the text about it till like 8:30 this morning, so I called to make sure that was for my change and not a different one. The guy assured me more than once they could help me change it if I forgot it. WTF? The whole point is to add security, not help me get around security.

Even on their website it says the extra code will be used "at some stores". So there are stores where they don't verify with that code? That's like securing your home by locking SOME of the doors and windows. Dumbasses.

Did it show you having no service on your phone? That's apparently how you find out this has happened, b/c they move the account to the new sim, the old one stops working.

It said "SIM card not provisioned" Could only make emergency calls (911).

MickintheHam
10-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Doc, you may want to talk with you bank about features they offer. I receive an instant text whenever my debit card is used. Before I can put the card back in my wallet I have a text giving me amount and location. I keep my credit card electronically locked. I open it when I know I am going to use it and keep it locked at all other times. Some of that is a nuisance, but it is a small inconvenience when compared to fixing a problem.

Doc
10-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Doc, you may want to talk with you bank about features they offer. I receive an instant text whenever my debit card is used. Before I can put the card back in my wallet I have a text giving me amount and location. I keep my credit card electronically locked. I open it when I know I am going to use it and keep it locked at all other times. Some of that is a nuisance, but it is a small inconvenience when compared to fixing a problem.

That would not have helped. They had my phone forwarded to their phone via SIM card so anything would have alerted them. However I'm now much more secure aware. Bank is aware and I check balance daily

CitizenBBN
10-18-2018, 08:03 PM
It said "SIM card not provisioned" Could only make emergency calls (911).

That sounds like what was described in what I read. They go into the store and get it changed there pretending to be you. The first the victim knows of it is the SIM card just stops working.

ATT should be able to tell you how the card got changed, assuming they are willing to admit it.

Doc
10-18-2018, 09:38 PM
they won't. Already asked

CitizenBBN
10-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Doc, I won't poke my nose in, but if it happened to me I'd likely be arrested in an ATT store if they refused to tell me what happened. Either that or I'd let them know I'm calling every local news channel to see if they want to come cover a story on identity theft that will be good "it bleeds" news for them.

That's just insane, b/c most two factor authentication is based on our phone, usually via text message. Hack that and, like in your case, you can really cause havoc.

No doubt ATT knows this, and doesn't want it very well known that identity thieves are now using them to get at your data and phones.

MickintheHam
10-19-2018, 01:11 AM
That would not have helped. They had my phone forwarded to their phone via SIM card so anything would have alerted them. However I'm now much more secure aware. Bank is aware and I check balance daily

Your phone is stand alone device on messaging? They would also have to have to have an ipad and macbook to keep me from knowing about the sim card swap.