PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recommend a Fitbit Zip competitor?

Darrell KSR
10-15-2018, 03:23 PM
a) I do not want to wear it on my wrist. I wear one on my wrist now. Hate it. Just not my thing.

b) I do not want to recharge batteries. I recharge the battery on the one on my wrist now. Hate it. Just not my thing.

c) It must be able to sync with Android 9, the OnePlus 6. Fitbit does not have that as a compatible device, which means it will act with it sporadically or not at all. It has been my experience that "not at all" is closer. (The one I wear on my wrist now syncs perfectly with the phone.)

The Fitbit Zip was the perfect animal for me. I clipped it on the inside of my pocket and forgot about it. It didn't touch my skin, and was extremely accurate, based on several tests I did with GPS and other trackers that were high end, known distance sources, etc. Not perfect, but very accurate.

The CR2025 button cell batteries are extremely cheap when you buy them on Amazon. Put one in, and forget about it for months. Just works.

I'm not a huge fan of "multi-function" this/that/whatever, so the fact that it didn't measure sleep, stairs climbed, mountain goats herded or whatever didn't disturb me--in fact, that was a plus. It just very reliably measured steps and distance, unobtrusively, reliably, consistently, and for a long period of time without maintenance.

Is there another device that is a competitor to this that fits the criteria above I identified in a) through c)?

Darrell KSR
10-19-2018, 08:38 AM
I just decided to keep it and not return it. Irritating to have to sync to a computer, but there are worse things. Maybe one day they'll figure out # 3 above.

blueboss
10-23-2018, 06:58 AM
Fitbit observation

Charge 2 has a sleep tracker, I’m not really sure how it works, whether it’s based on heart rate or what. I’ve noticed that after having been asleep for a couple of hours and then waking up (which I do a lot) it doesn’t track that those two hours of sleep before waking.

For instance, last night I went to bed at around 11:30, I feel like I fell asleep pretty quickly. I woke up around 1:30, got up moved to the recliner and turned on some news, I woke up around 2:30 and went back to bed and straight back to sleep. This morning I checked the sleep tracker and it had me sleeping from 2:30 to 7:20 when my alarm woke me.

Curiously it does show periods of restlessness and REM sleep, which makes me wonder how it actually works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk