PDA

View Full Version : PSA: 40th anniversary of "The Shootist" Pyramid Air gun special

Darrell KSR
10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
The handle really needs to be tea-stained, but you can paint it yourself when you get it.

Pyramid Air has a special today on their Duke Shootist C02 weathered Pellet Revolver. Regular price $179.99, on sale for $129.99.

Six-shooter pellet gun. Get about 100 shots per C02 cartridge.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Duke_Shootist_CO2_Weathered_Pellet_Revolver_Limite d_Edition/4081

https://www.pyramydair.com/images/PY-4081_Duke-Colt-CO2-Pellet_1461962291.jpg

I'd prefer this one for the looks, but it's $499.99. Gulp.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Engraved_Duke_Colt_CO2_Pellet_Revolver_Blued/4085

https://www.pyramydair.com/images/PY-4085_Engraved-Duke-Colt-CO2_1489434856.jpg

I probably won't get it, but I really enjoy my Crosman 2260 SE CO2 pellet rifle, and something like this would be super fun to plink around with, and cheap as heck. It shoots .177 pellets (I prefer .22, but that's because I use it for true pest control and it's better). For plinking, .177 pellets are fine.

Darrell KSR
10-17-2018, 12:35 PM
Back to $179.99 today.

I'm semi-irritated I didn't get it. If the handle had been tea-stained already, I would've.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 04:15 PM
I'd pick up a real Colt remake Shootist anniversary piece. Not much into collecting air guns, though I've had a few guys who are avid about it. I just never cared for the feel of them I guess.

It's good looking though, and they've done a good job hiding the air gun aspects. I've sold some air guns that will absolutely fool you from farther than a couple of feet. They have working slides, hammers, safeties, slide stops, the works. Not sure I'm all for them, b/c I can see a kid thinking it's no big deal and a cop or someone thinking they have a real gun all too easily.

Darrell KSR
10-17-2018, 04:28 PM
They've got a glock 19 and a Sig that the military adopted that they are touting now. It actually is not a bad looking air pistol, and for somebody like me with woods in my backyard but neighbors to my sides, I can shoot air guns all day and not cause any issues, including getting rid of pests if needed. These are little underpowered for that use, though. I can literally walk outside my kitchen on to my deck, which is on the second floor overlooking 40 yards of clear space to shoot backing with woods behind it. It is an air gun enthusiast haven, not that I take advantage of it very often..
I'd pick up a real Colt remake Shootist anniversary piece. Not much into collecting air guns, though I've had a few guys who are avid about it. I just never cared for the feel of them I guess.

It's good looking though, and they've done a good job hiding the air gun aspects. I've sold some air guns that will absolutely fool you from farther than a couple of feet. They have working slides, hammers, safeties, slide stops, the works. Not sure I'm all for them, b/c I can see a kid thinking it's no big deal and a cop or someone thinking they have a real gun all too easily.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 05:21 PM
In your situation I'd definitely shoot them. You could get a really top notch competitive level gun and have a lot of fun. The "real" air rifles are deadly accurate of course, and easy to shoot. They can get real pricey really fast, but they're outstanding guns and more than enough to get rid of varmints.

I also like the 22 shooting the Calibre (sp?) low velocity low load rounds, as we've also discussed. Both are good options and super accurate, which is why it's pretty much all they shoot in competitive rifle.

Personally I think that takes some of the fun out of blasting big holes in targets, but that's just me. I used to shoot full cans of soda with shotguns for fun. :)

Darrell KSR
10-17-2018, 09:17 PM
I may pull out my Crosman 2260 SE in the morning before I head to work. I keep it beside my desk at home but haven't shot it in awhile. It's a little more potent as a 22 pellet rifle, but I wish it had a little more pop.

I bought some subsonic 22 ammo (CCI?) for my Mark III pistol and it was still a little too loud. Not illegal to shoot, but neighbors get skittish. Wouldn't cycle either so I didn't push it. Shot it a couple of times in the back yard in early afternoon when not many people are around but still felt a little like I was pushing it.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 09:37 PM
The low velocity won't cycle in most any semiauto. Some of them don't cycle with regular 22 LR, and need the CCI high velocity (the Walther P22 is a great shooting gun, but needs the extra pressure).

But for a bolt action, which is what you were contemplating, it would of course work, and in a rifle I'm betting the sound would be OK. Maybe not, neighbors can get nervous easy, lol.

Honestly the high power CO2 guns are not quiet either, at least not much different from low velocity 22 IMO. I got one through a sale that wasn't even competition quality but it was pretty loud. Not really as loud as a 22, the sound is so much less sharp, but a lot louder than I was used to from the toys.

Darrell KSR
10-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Yup, there's a crack when I shoot the CO2 pellet rifle too. It's not quiet either.

CitizenBBN
10-17-2018, 09:43 PM
I was going to send you the air gun, but it wasn't accurate. It was really in the toy category, and still made quite a noise.

It's funny when in the movies the assassin puts on a small silencer and gets a "ffffttttttt" little sound out of a 9mm or something. Silencers do make a world of difference, but not so much you can shoot the guy on one side of the door and not hear it on the other. Nothing short of a knife is as quiet as those movie silencers.

Darrell KSR
10-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Plinking at 25-yards today at lunch. Took a minute to get back with it, but pretty reliable gun when you get used to it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181018/e8e622b5f7f17bdab0a6c56b61a73f1c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181018/269c634ffedc61dafd9ef14937561bd0.jpg