PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Systems??

blueboss
10-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Not sure if want to go the monthly monitoring fee or what.

I’ve heard ADT is a bit of rip off, but it was second hand info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
10-14-2018, 03:56 PM
http://kgab.com/files/2015/06/GettyImages-697945-630x429.jpg?w=980&q=75

blueboss
10-14-2018, 09:01 PM
http://kgab.com/files/2015/06/GettyImages-697945-630x429.jpg?w=980&q=75

Funny, that’s the same thing I told CBB when he was making security inquiries.

I suggested the same to Mrs. boss, she wants something that doesn’t require feeding.

blueboss
10-14-2018, 09:30 PM
To make a long story short, my wife testified in a trial over thirty years ago. The person was ultimately convicted and got 80 years. The prison system being what it is called and told us the person was granted parole and will be getting out in mid November.

She’s a bit nervous and would feel better if we had some type of security system in the house.

KentuckyWildcat
10-15-2018, 10:37 AM
I have two dogs much like the one above. I'll gladly give them to you :)

CitizenBBN
10-15-2018, 07:16 PM
None of my business boss, but 80 years cut to 30 doesn't sound like jaywalking. But that much time does take a lot out of someone.

First, I'd want it monitored. Most companies use third party monitoring. I use a local company here for my business stuff, but they still use a 24/7 company out of New York state.

Next is just what level of detection you want. it's easy enough to put in a wireless system on doors and windows, but I'd also recommend motion across window areas b/c breaking into one of them you can go through without hitting the sensors, esp. if you have any big windows.

Also, lights on motions around the house. Those don't need to be monitored, but it makes people think twice and lets you see what's going on.

ADT is well known, but very mixed reviews. In Lexington area I could recommend my local company. They're OK. Have had no issues with the monitoring, and I pretty much spec my own designs but they do OK too. I think they do residential, but I have that with another system.

Last thought, honestly at home I don't worry too much b/c frankly, I'm well armed. If anyone breaks in while I'm there one of us will be dead long before the cops can get there. For some reason I was born a good shot with a firearm, long or short, and nothing says you aren't welcome like a .357.

But I can recommend a range of guns for home defense as well, including what I think is a great option for people who aren't experienced shots. I'm esp. fond of .410 shotgun self defense loads, and you can get them in a small shotgun or in something like the Taurus Judge or S&W Governor, which is a 5 shot revolver shooting .410 shells.

I may in fact break down and get one for myself b/c I like the new self defense loads so well.

Anyway, those are my 30,000 feet observations. Let me know what you're thinking as far as how much security, and location, and maybe I can help with some details.

blueboss
10-15-2018, 09:07 PM
I’ll know more after Wednesday, I’m having a local security company coming in to evaluate the lay out and offer suggestions.

I agree with monitoring, plus the peace of mind for the wife knowing the police would be alerted if there was an occurrence.

I’m a little fuzzy on whether I actually need cameras, or motion sensors, along with window and door sensors, or all of the above. I like the idea of light motion lights so you can see what’s going on.

As far as personal security, I’m like you, somebody is going to end up with a hole. I’m not sure Mrs boss is ready to actually grab, cock, and shoot, in a lickity split situation. I’ve got a 20 ga. I think she could swing around, plus it’s a pump, and nothing says run away like the sound of a pump shot gun getting a shell racked up.

CitizenBBN
10-15-2018, 09:29 PM
The motion sensors are really for a backup to the contact sensors. Depends on how much glass you have, and how likely it is someone could come through that versus tripping the contacts.

Sliding glass doors are a great, classic example. if the contact sensor is on the frame but someone just throws a yard chair through the glass and walks in, it's not tripped. Now it makes a Hades of a racket, but the alarm won't go off.

Also depends on animals, as they can bugger up motion sensor planning, and location and layout.

Re firearms. one reason I like the 410 for women is it's not so intimidating for them. Very little recoil even in a pistol grip configuration, and of course aim doesn't have to be very good.

I'm also a big believer in people getting trained and getting their concealed carry. When I taught the class regularly 50% or more of my students were women. I always encourage women to get trained and experienced with a weapon they may need to use, so they are ready and not hesitant. that's obvious of course, but worth encouraging IMO.

Also, be sure there are nice loud alarms locally along with monitoring. Just don't have a lot of false alarms or the neighbors will put a torch to your place. lol.

blueboss
10-16-2018, 05:52 PM
The motion sensors are really for a backup to the contact sensors. Depends on how much glass you have, and how likely it is someone could come through that versus tripping the contacts.

Sliding glass doors are a great, classic example. if the contact sensor is on the frame but someone just throws a yard chair through the glass and walks in, it's not tripped. Now it makes a Hades of a racket, but the alarm won't go off.

Also depends on animals, as they can bugger up motion sensor planning, and location and layout.

Re firearms. one reason I like the 410 for women is it's not so intimidating for them. Very little recoil even in a pistol grip configuration, and of course aim doesn't have to be very good.

I'm also a big believer in people getting trained and getting their concealed carry. When I taught the class regularly 50% or more of my students were women. I always encourage women to get trained and experienced with a weapon they may need to use, so they are ready and not hesitant. that's obvious of course, but worth encouraging IMO.

Also, be sure there are nice loud alarms locally along with monitoring. Just don't have a lot of false alarms or the neighbors will put a torch to your place. lol.

Going to need something for the Mrs. Something light weight, non complicated, with stopping power.

Darrell KSR
10-16-2018, 05:59 PM
The Judge or the Governor.
Going to need something for the Mrs. Something light weight, non complicated, with stopping power.

blueboss
10-16-2018, 06:07 PM
The Judge or the Governor.

Might be just a tad too rowdy...

Darrell KSR
10-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Chuck is the expert there, but I'm not sure you can ratchet it back much from a 410 shell and still have stopping power, can you? Get her some PDX defense loads and call it good. I have gone back and forth on it myself, but I always end up with the idea that when push comes to shove, I always have my Glock 36 nearby and I'm very comfortable with it.
Might be just a tad too rowdy...

blueboss
10-16-2018, 06:29 PM
At one point I came close to getting her an XD Springfield subcompact 9mm

blueboss
10-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Now I’m thinking .380

CitizenBBN
10-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Go to a range. They'll let you shoot the .410 revolver, buy a box of self defense loads for it and go shoot it. Find out what she's comfortable shooting.

The benefit is you don't have to have much aim. a SD load 410 shoots 3 copper disks plus some 00 buckshot. Great stopping power, aim is less of an issue.

Downside is the power is much more than a 380, but I think you'd be surprised it's not as bad as some think. They're heavier guns but that helps the recoil.

CitizenBBN
10-16-2018, 08:59 PM
FWIW, I also suggest going for the 9mm or 380 or whatever. Find out what works for her. If you're near Lexington go to Buds. Good range, good selection of guns you can rent.

My gallery is close, come by and say hey before or after. I had a Judge, but sold it, or I'd let you go try it. Should have probably kept it. Picked it up new, but made good money turning it over.

blueboss
10-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Anybody got a gently used .380 Colt Mustang sitting around they’re not using anymore??

blueboss
10-23-2018, 07:07 AM
FWIW, I also suggest going for the 9mm or 380 or whatever. Find out what works for her. If you're near Lexington go to Buds. Good range, good selection of guns you can rent.

My gallery is close, come by and say hey before or after. I had a Judge, but sold it, or I'd let you go try it. Should have probably kept it. Picked it up new, but made good money turning it over.

Thanks, I think we’re getting zeroed in on what would best work for Ms boss. I think now we’re going to a range so she can actually run a few rounds through a couple of different options to see how she handles them.

We’re also going to start the permitting process...carry license.

blueboss
11-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Well, I went with Ring Security. Two cameras with motion sensor, flood light and audio. Door sensors on all external doors, and several key windows. Motion sensors indoors with key pad, base unit and range extender, I added a WiFi booster to ensure enhanced service for the outdoor cam in the back of the house. I also signed up for 24/7 monitoring service

Set up was relatively easy, everything is controlled through an app, which I loaded on our cells laptops etc. The equipment setup was pretty easy as well. Ring provided all mounting hardware, along with tools and even threw in a masonry bit in case there was brick or mortar to drill through.

Let me know if anyone is considering a Ring System, I’m still learning and tweaking but overall the setup is pretty slick. Plus I get referral discounts.