PDA

View Full Version : Pro-tip on hotel air conditioning units

Darrell KSR
08-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Stayed at a nice mid-range Country Inn and Suites last night in Rome, Georgia. It had the Amana air conditioning unit that have been around for years, although a new model in this new hotel.

One thing that bothers me when I sleep is a lack of noise, followed by an air conditioning fan coming on. At some hotels, you can set the system for the fan to be on constantly. That works.

This one had no constant setting.

So I removed the face covering, and found an Aux. Set button. Turned the unit off completely with the Stop Operation button, then pressed Aux. Set.

From there it was easy. There was a guide on mine on which setting for constant fan operation (Cool, 4, with a picture that looked like a staple right side up, as opposed to upside down).

Hit Aux. Set. when done, then turn the unit back on with the On/Stop operation button.

Bingo. Now constant fan operation.

I usually bring an air purifier for noise, but left it, so I ran to the store and bought a fan as well. That, plus the constant setting, and it helped.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/ee7d84598e2896355eac305028f3d223.jpg

dan_bgblue
08-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Outstanding bit of info. Also happy that the disassembly did not require a #6 phillips screwdriver.

KeithKSR
08-26-2018, 12:48 PM
I sleep with the TV on for noise. If I don’t have noise all I hear is the ringing in my ears.

KentuckyWildcat
08-26-2018, 01:33 PM
I sleep with the TV on for noise. If I don’t have noise all I hear is the ringing in my ears.I prefer it. My wife does not. When I travel alone I turn on the TV.

At home we have comprised with ocean sounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

KSRdallen
08-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Here’s a way to override the thermostat controls that are set to have maximum and minimum temperatures as well as motion activation.

https://youtu.be/H9zV4kO_Vtg

Some of the newer models say Len rather than VIP. It’s the same thing.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Outstanding bit of info. Also happy that the disassembly did not require a #6 phillips screwdriver.If it had, I would've been in trouble. Pushing buttons, I can do.

MickintheHam
08-26-2018, 11:37 PM
I sleep with the TV on for noise. If I don’t have noise all I hear is the ringing in my ears.

Bingo, I do it all the time.

CitizenBBN
08-27-2018, 12:05 AM
I just pay a very attractive lady to sit at my bedside at night and read to me while in lingerie. I don't sleep much, but I'm not in a bad mood about being exhausted.

Darrell KSR
08-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Now that I'm back at a desk with a computer, I'll add a little to this.

It was really easy. Like I said, you remove the cover. It just comes straight up and off. I've seen that done before, years ago by a maintenance man at a hotel, so I knew it would come right off.

Then there's a button--you can see it at the far right, that says, OPERATION. It's an on/off button. Click it off, and it turns the entire unit off.

That's where you need it, because you "set" it while it is off.

Then you go to the button underneath all the set of buttons. It's immediately to the left of the white piece of paper. The button says AUX. SET.

Press it.

AU will come on.

Then you press the MODE button in the middle. Then go to the arrows, and keep pushing it until you get to the number you want. The white label to the right of the AUX. SET. button said 4 was "constant," and that's what we were wanting.

Then, when you're done, you click the AUX. SET. button again, and it's set. (More on this in a minute, as that's not quite finished).

I did that first, and then went to the OPERATION button, and turned it on. A/C and fan came on, but a few minutes later, I was disappointed that the fan cycled off.

I looked at the label again, and I had left out an important step. So I again went to OPERATION, and turned it off. Then AUX. SET. and pushed it.

There's a symbol that looked like a staple to me. It's either right side up, or upside down. When it's upside down, it's in "cycle mode." When it's right side up, it's on "constant" mode. Both "4" and the "right side up staple" had to be in place for it to work properly.

I fixed that, clicked AUX. SET. button, then OPERATION, and boom. It worked.

You may need to play with it a little to get yours right, but that worked for me.