PDA

View Full Version : Any real good bbq places? Lexington, BG, to Louisville, etc..

kingcat
08-25-2018, 11:54 PM
The wife and i are wanting to dine out tomorrow and have a hankerin' for some BBQ brisket with all the fixins. Any suggestions?

Catfan73
08-26-2018, 05:07 AM
I haven’t been there in awhile but I have fond memories of the brisket at Jucy’s in PeeWee Valley.

KentuckyWildcat
08-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Wood shed and others in Hopkinsville.

For fancy bbq, try bbq place off of the Harper House in Cadiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

blueboss
08-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Louisville and S Indiana seem to be void of great BBQ, at least for my taste. Mission BBQ has really good pulled pork, I’ve never tried their brisket, but a guy standing in line told me it was dry. Their ribs were so so.

If you’re in the BG area you might try Nashville, I really liked Jim and Nicks spare ribs and the wife said the pulled pork was outstanding... we were actually at one down in AL just south of B-ham. Still haven’t tried brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catonahottinroof
08-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I live outside of Louisville a bit and have to drive 100+ miles to get really good BBQ.

blueboss
08-26-2018, 09:56 AM
I live outside of Louisville a bit and have to drive 100+ miles to get really good BBQ.

Where do you travel to for BBQ?

dan_bgblue
08-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Where do you travel to for BBQ?

Go west of the lakes

Catonahottinroof
08-26-2018, 10:24 AM
If I want good pork BBQ I go to the Smokey Pig in Bowling Green. As Dan suggested, west of the lakes is good stuff. Another that we will travel to is Blue Moon in Lebanon TN.

CitizenBBN
08-26-2018, 11:03 AM
There's a newish place in Lexington called The Blue Door Smokehouse, but I think they're only open for lunch during the week or "until sold out", 8pm on Fri/Sat. I just never have gotten over there. But they say it's great. #1 on Tripadvisor for Lexington.

kingcat
08-26-2018, 11:34 AM
West of the lakes? In what area, Cadiz or Hoptown?

Catfan73
08-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Closer to home, the best brisket I’ve ever had in Louisville was from River Rd. BBQ. Better than Mark’s, Momma’s, etc.

kingcat
08-26-2018, 11:40 AM
looking at Feast BBQ in Louisville or a drive to Owensboro for Old Hickory

kingcat
08-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Closer to home, the best brisket I’ve ever had in Louisville was from River Rd. BBQ. Better than Mark’s, Momma’s, etc.

I read good stuff about that place. We want a sit down dinner though.

kingcat
08-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Ive had pretty good brisket at Bucky Bees in Cave City. Donna wants to go back and that by itself says a lot.

dan_bgblue
08-26-2018, 12:04 PM
West of the lakes? In what area, Cadiz or Hoptown?

Neither of those are west of the lakes. ;-). Hole in the wall joints and food trucks in Mayfield, Clinton, Hickman. Fulton, or Murray are all good if one knows which one to pick.

Actually, WildFire BBQ (https://wildfirebbq.net/) in Franklin Ky has really good brisket. Their hours of operation are kinda funky though. Roys BBQ in Russellville has great pulled pork and chicken but no brisket that i know of. Fried catfish is really good there also.

KentuckyWildcat
08-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Wildfire might be the place my cousin owns. Ashamed I totally forgot about it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kingcat
08-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Neither of those are west of the lakes. ;-). Hole in the wall joints and food trucks in Mayfield, Clinton, Hickman. Fulton, or Murray are all good if one knows which one to pick.

Actually, WildFire BBQ (https://wildfirebbq.net/) in Franklin Ky has really good brisket. Their hours of operation are kinda funky though. Roys BBQ in Russellville has great pulled pork and chicken but no brisket that i know of. Fried catfish is really good there also.

We dont travel West much Went to Patti's a couple of years ago for our anniversary. I thought West of the lakes was the name of a joint. ;)

kingcat
08-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Visited Bucky bees in Cave City.

Still as good of a brisket as I have had.
Only two sauces, sweet and spicy and the spicy is not all that tangy. But the meat is juicy and tender.
7.95 for a sandwich which is loaded with delicious meat.

Two out of two five star visits when it comes to flavor, portions, service, and value.
The booths needed upholstering.

Catonahottinroof
08-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Funny how mom & pop bbq places are like that. Nothing really matches, seats need recovering, but the fare they serve is usually the best there is.
Visited Bucky bees in Cave City.

Still as good of a brisket as I have had.
Only two sauces, sweet and spicy and the spicy is not all that tangy. But the meat is juicy and tender.
7.95 for a sandwich which is loaded with delicious meat.

Two out of two five star visits when it comes to flavor, portions, service, and value.
The booths needed upholstering.

MickintheHam
08-26-2018, 11:33 PM
There is a Jim and Nick's less than 2 miles from my house. I may eat there once year. It is prepared for the mass base of customers. And to say the least it is the most expensive BBQ shack where I have eaten. Mediocre.

If you are going to drive as far as Tennessee, just drive on down to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama. Other than Western Kentucky BBQ mutton as they served at Billy's in Lex, there is little good BBQ in Kentucky, Maybe Old Hickory in Oboro. I will try the place in Franklin as it is on the path I travel regularly.

dan_bgblue
08-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Smokey Pig (http://smokeypigbbq.com/) in Bowling Green is just as good if not better with the pulled pork as is Old Hickory's pork in O'boro. I did not mention Smokey Pig before as I have no experience with their brisket if they have it available.

As for Mutton, you will find it hard to get better mutton than you will find at Peak Bros in Waverly KY.

Catonahottinroof
08-27-2018, 07:44 PM
They had brisket for a stretch this spring. Limited availability. It was ok but not as good as their pork, which is legendary.

Smokey Pig (http://smokeypigbbq.com/) in Bowling Green is just as good if not better with the pulled pork as is Old Hickory's pork in O'boro. I did not mention Smokey Pig before as I have no experience with their brisket if they have it available.

As for Mutton, you will find it hard to get better mutton than you will find at Peak Bros in Waverly KY.

blueboss
08-27-2018, 10:07 PM
There is a Jim and Nick's less than 2 miles from my house. I may eat there once year. It is prepared for the mass base of customers. And to say the least it is the most expensive BBQ shack where I have eaten. Mediocre.

If you are going to drive as far as Tennessee, just drive on down to Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama. Other than Western Kentucky BBQ mutton as they served at Billy's in Lex, there is little good BBQ in Kentucky, Maybe Old Hickory in Oboro. I will try the place in Franklin as it is on the path I travel regularly.

You and Darrell have directed me to some of the best BBQ places in AL. We’ve eaten at a couple of different Jim and Nicks and I still put their ribs up against any that I’ve had in and around Ky. I haven’t eaten at the Jim and Nicks in Nashville.

I’ve been to Dreamland in Montgomery twice now, the first time two years ago, the ribs were top notch, last spring, not so much. I don’t know if it has anything to do with it, but they moved to a new location, the original place they kept catching stuff on fire in the court yard, so they moved around the corner.

Still haven’t eaten at Saws yet, but it’s on the list.

Big Bob Gibson’s, the chicken was exceptionally good, ribs were just okay. Coconut cream pie was the bomb, it was so good I took a picture of it.

I remember when I was a kid in Paducah we used to have Starn’s smoke our turkeys for the holidays, as a kid I thought it was the best turkey ever. Haven’t eaten anything from there in 50 years, maybe Paducah cat can give an update.

MickintheHam
08-28-2018, 06:49 AM
The problem with Jim and Nick's and with Dreamland is they have turned into franchises. They are the McDonald's of BBQ. The folks that have Jim and Nick's have a bunch of other restaurants. They are driven by the bottom line at the expense of quality. There is a lot of employee turnover which affects quality as well. Nothing like pitmaster turnover to kill quality. Pitmasters don't grow on trees.

TRUCKERCATFAN
08-30-2018, 09:44 AM
You mention BG which I assume is Bowling Green. If you are willing to go to Glasgow which isn’t t far from BG, I highly recommend Rib Lickers. I always get the Barnyard Brisket sandwich and hashbrown casserole for a side.

Darrell KSR
08-30-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm going to disagree with Mick a little. Calling Jim N Nicks the McDonald's of BBQ is unfair to them. I can get a pulled pork sandwich, chopped, inside meat (if that's what I'm feeling), and it's consistently good, each and every time. I don't know about the ribs first-hand, but my son and father-in-law will get them about every time we go, and they both rave. There used to be a great BBQ place in Metairie, La., "Luther's," and they had the best ribs, and my father-in-law swears JNN is the equivalent.

Maybe the one I eat at most of the time is an exception, but I have no qualms in recommending it, and I have never, not once, had someone not praise me for the recommendation.

Would I rather have Ken's in Pinson? Yeah, probably so. Saw's? If I'm in that mood, and the atmosphere is better (in a way). And I love Big Bob Gibson's, which took me forever to eat at, but when I finally did, I wondered what took me so long. But for a regular, consistently good, reliable place, JNN fits the bill.

I do have a bias that I will reveal, but I wouldn't recommend it because of this bias. I coached Nick's daughter in basketball for years. They don't need my recommendations, though. They're doing pretty good without them :).

dan_bgblue
08-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Trucker, BG = Buzzard's Gulch

blueboss
08-30-2018, 10:09 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/b69cb0db5b3eaf5832fb05e3298b63d7.jpg

Dreamland d-town Montgomery.... before they moved.