PDA

View Full Version : Help! I may have asked this before--can I stream camcorder live to internet?

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Here is the possible setup:

a) Canon Vixia HF R82 camcorder. Not purchased yet. Has wi-fi capabilities. I think I need that.
b) Cell phone "hot spot."

With those two items, can I stream live to the internet? I know people do all the time with their cell phones--I'd like to think I could do it with a camcorder. I want to stream approximately 40 soccer games in the next year, so a cell phone video won't work, as zooming, panning, etc. will be needed.

Preference would be to stream it to a Youtube channel for others to access. I guess, if push came to shove, it could be done to a Facebook thingy, but I'd prefer not.

Help!

CitizenBBN
08-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Depends on the camcorder and the platform you want to use for the stream. If it has wifi then it would seem to be likely that it would support streaming, and then it has to support whatever platform you want to use.

Quick google search shows it does do live streaming, but I so far only saw it streaming to the Canon app on a smart device. Not sure if that device then pushes to youtube, but I kinda doubt it. I'll look tonight at more details to see if we can get it to make that next step through the phone hot spot. So far it doesn't look like it has youtube streaming "built in", which would be ideal.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Thanks for checking. I really want this to work if possible. I'm hoping that the biggest downside is using a lot of data and testing T-Mobile's unlimited data they promised me.

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
As an aside, I don't need to tell you I'm not looking to break the bank on buying special equipment, either. I was looking at that Canon, as I have a lower level one in the same line and it really performs well, but has no Wi-Fi capability. I figured that at least I needed the Wi-Fi capability.

It's really ridiculous that I can do this with my phone by itself easy enough, but add a camcorder to get a better video and it creates all kind of issues.

KeithKSR
08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
You can livestream via YouTube in several different ways. If the camera via the WiFi will act like a webcam you will have it made.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 05:23 PM
I have the Canon Vixia HF R800. I'm looking at the Canon Vixia HF R82. I don't know if it emulates as a webcam or not.

Here's a link I found that specifically mentioned the Canon Vixia HF R82 as "perfect for live streaming on the cheap." (Their definition is not my definition, however.)

"Canon’s Vixia HF R82 (reviewed above with the R800 and R80) is a compact and powerful camcorder option that is perfect for live streaming on the cheap. The R82, like many camcorders on the market, offers a ridiculous 57x zoom (which is awesome but possibly unnecessary for your stream). It does, however, offer some really cool features like remote compatibility with your phone and a touchscreen display. But it really shines in live streaming, which you can remote monitor as well. Overall, for vloggers and those looking to plug and play, it’s another great option."

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/5-affordable-live-stream-cameras/

Darrell KSR
08-08-2018, 05:25 PM
If I have to use my computer, and a capture card (or two), and if it's the same even if the camcorder is wi-fi enabled or not, then I'll probably just stick with my HF R700 (not wi-fi enabled, a lesser model than the R82).

But if the Wi-fi makes it easier, I'm all for it.

KentuckyWildcat
08-08-2018, 10:10 PM
You probably need something to transcode the video to stream. They make some boxes to do this. Sadly I cant of one right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
08-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Canon sure seems to be touting the r82 model as made for this somehow. I may have to try.

From their literature:

"Use the Camera Connect app1 with your compatible smart device to record remotely, and share your movies online right away for your friends and family to enjoy."

and

"Built-in Wi-Fi technology on the VIXIA HF R82 camcorder lets you easily share your HD video with friends and family. Connect with compatible networks and devices using the free Canon Camera Connect app1. Share videos and photos with CANON iMAGE GATEWAY3 – a free online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites.”

Darrell KSR
08-09-2018, 07:10 AM
I'm really not feeling the r82. Sounds gimmicky. I think your advice about the capture device is there way to go, and doesn't require another camcorder.

Darrell KSR
08-09-2018, 07:38 AM
This is intriguing.

https://youtu.be/wgYCYPjXwX4

Or this, but it requires a tablet.

https://youtu.be/_bDE7-faIKk

KentuckyWildcat
08-09-2018, 01:05 PM
At work, my setup is more complicated. But to simplify it, you can get a capture card and I use some free software call OBS. Basically makes your computer a TV studio.

Darrell KSR
08-09-2018, 04:11 PM
I think that's what I'm going to do. Seems the most straighforward, and doesn't require the purchase of a very unnecessary extra camcorder. Legitimately, the lesser camcorder I have has the same quality optics, except it also allows shooting in AVCHD, which the "better" one doesn't (that comes into play for plays and such, although I don't do that much anymore).

Anyway, at best it is duplicative, and getting a capture card makes it work, that's what I'll do.

Thank you very much for your help, and appreciate allowing me to ramble here incessantly. Thanks to all here, the comments were all good and helpful.

KentuckyWildcat
08-09-2018, 09:51 PM
OBS - Open Broadcast Software (might have changed to Studio)

It is pretty fun to use. The paid alternatives are more user friendly. But this works the same. If you have graphics or lower third text, you put those up while you stream live.

Darrell KSR
08-09-2018, 10:43 PM
You probably need something to transcode the video to stream. They make some boxes to do this. Sadly I cant of one right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TapatalkHere's what I ordered.

Elgato Cam Link - Broadcast live and record via DSLR, camcorder, or action cam in 1080p60, compact HDMI capture device, USB 3.0-10GAC9901 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748QYPX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HNqBBbTP2TG17

Darrell KSR
08-10-2018, 11:17 AM
My surface pro meets the requirements for the computer, however, I am running Windows 8.1 pro on it, rather than Windows 10. My son thinks that Windows 8.1 will run the device the same as Windows 10, but I may be forced to upgrade it. I think I'll try it first with 8.1, though.

KentuckyWildcat
08-10-2018, 12:40 PM
10 is great. Upgrade anyway

KeithKSR
08-11-2018, 10:31 PM
My surface pro meets the requirements for the computer, however, I am running Windows 8.1 pro on it, rather than Windows 10. My son thinks that Windows 8.1 will run the device the same as Windows 10, but I may be forced to upgrade it. I think I'll try it first with 8.1, though.

Go to meet.google.com on your Surface Pro and you can live stream from there through the Surface Pro camera.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Go to meet.google.com on your Surface Pro and you can live stream from there through the Surface Pro camera.

That would work, but I need a camcorder for zoom.

KentuckyWildcat
08-12-2018, 12:39 PM
That would work, but I need a camcorder for zoom.There is some software out there to make certain camcorders a "webcam"

CitizenBBN
08-12-2018, 01:01 PM
10 is great. Upgrade anyway

this. 8 is awful, get 10 regardless.

I'm clinging to 7 b/c of some compatibility stuff. It is good, 8 was a disaster, 10 is a good fix.

Microsoft loves doing that btw. now and then they drop a horrible OS into the mix IMO to make us all love the next one that at least doesn't suck. Vista with XP, 8 with 10.

KentuckyWildcat
08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
this. 8 is awful, get 10 regardless.

I'm clinging to 7 b/c of some compatibility stuff. It is good, 8 was a disaster, 10 is a good fix.

Microsoft loves doing that btw. now and then they drop a horrible OS into the mix IMO to make us all love the next one that at least doesn't suck. Vista with XP, 8 with 10.8 was probably a great idea while in a meeting. Poorly implemented.

10 pulled off the tablet feel while keeping Windows. Love it from a user standpoint. But I do hate it as an IT Director.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Will be trying it out later, time permitting.

Canon Vixia Hf r700. 2.5 hour battery + spare battery
Surface Pro 3 with decent battery
Windows 10
4th generation i5 processor
Elgato cam link with software

TBD: additional software if needed. Additional power source for surface pro if needed (12v battery with power inverter?) Generic YouTube channel, unless minimum number of subscribers are needed.

Darrell KSR
08-12-2018, 01:19 PM
There is some software out there to make certain camcorders a "webcam"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TapatalkThat's what the Elgato camlink does, supposedly easier than anything on the planet. We'll see. I'm the lowest common denominator here.

KentuckyWildcat
08-12-2018, 01:19 PM
YouTube channel, unless minimum number of subscribers are needed.

Used to be. Not sure now. let me know please.

kingcat
08-12-2018, 01:26 PM
There will be some stream latency involved. At best there will be ten seconds even using powerful and complex software.
Quite a lot more for a entry level setup. Of course that's when video conferencing around the world without a half a million dollar setup

I'm confused on one aspect of the stream. Is the audio and video converted and streamed together or separately? I dont see how it can remain synced without passing through some production software and syncing it on separate tracks. The process otherwise seems pretty daunting for a normal PC and budget software.
Then again, something like VMix may be the answer there. The free stuff like OBS that's available has some trouble with syncing I hear. If the audio sync is not so important it should work fine though.

I know virtually nothing about streaming video but my Pro Tools recording software does accommodate video/audio live streaming. Even then there is audio latency correction allowing you to set an audio delay either positive or negative.

The PT video editing where needed is limited though, since it works alongside other dedicated AVID programs.

By the way, dont let this confuse you. I know nothing about the video stuff. It could be much more simple than what I am thinking. But converting analogue audio and video separately will likely lead to sync problems. A digital cam with a mic attached may be the cheaper way to go in the long run depending on how simple you want it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=ESWTcbtWq7U

CitizenBBN
08-12-2018, 02:58 PM
8 was probably a great idea while in a meeting. Poorly implemented.

10 pulled off the tablet feel while keeping Windows. Love it from a user standpoint. But I do hate it as an IT Director.

If anyone can explain to me why they felt a need to put a tablet interface on their server OSes I'd be grateful. What the hell are they thinking putting that on 2008/2012 Server? Do they think a lot of servers have touch screens, or that we're even AT the server when working?

It's getting me back to command line, that's for sure. Swore by that in the old days, but with about 10 billion settings in something like Exchange Server I would rather work GUI on a lot of stuff. Obviously other than the shell I can still do that and Do, but it cracks me up how they stuck that interface layer on servers.

KentuckyWildcat
08-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Totally agree on the server OS. I cuss everytime I rdp in and have to get my mouse just right in the corner to log off.

Sorry Darrell...we are hijacking your thread, back to streaming videos... :)

Darrell KSR
08-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Totally agree on the server OS. I cuss everytime I rdp in and have to get my mouse just right in the corner to log off.

Sorry Darrell...we are hijacking your thread, back to streaming videos... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TapatalkNah, I'm good. When I try this out and have my questions, it will be handy to have you guys around. So keep talking.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Spending a few minutes this morning at work trying to figure it out....Here is the propaganda from the site.

Plug ’n’ produce.
Coupled with Cam Link, your camera appears as a webcam in all your favorite apps, including Game Capture, OBS, and Skype. Superb quality up to 1080p60 keeps your stream professional. Ultra-low-latency technology gets you up and running in no time on YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitch, or any other platform you choose. And your camera has never felt more powerful.

KentuckyWildcat
08-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Spending a few minutes this morning at work trying to figure it out....Here is the propaganda from the site.

Plug ’n’ produce.
Coupled with Cam Link, your camera appears as a webcam in all your favorite apps, including Game Capture, OBS, and Skype. Superb quality up to 1080p60 keeps your stream professional. Ultra-low-latency technology gets you up and running in no time on YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitch, or any other platform you choose. And your camera has never felt more powerful.

OBS is what I use to record and stream at work. The Tricaster can do this for me, but I prefer OBS. You should try it out.

Tricaster is basically a TV studio in a box.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2018, 11:04 AM
I am currently downloading OBS Studio version 21.1.2 now.

I left my Camcorder plug in my car, and left the instructions manual for the Cam Link at home. I may run home at lunch and get it, because otherwise, I'm just clueless.

KentuckyWildcat
08-13-2018, 11:21 AM
I am currently downloading OBS Studio version 21.1.2 now.

I left my Camcorder plug in my car, and left the instructions manual for the Cam Link at home. I may run home at lunch and get it, because otherwise, I'm just clueless.

It is a neat little program for free. You may not have a need for it, but I use it for every event here. It could in theory replace my Tricaster as well.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2018, 02:24 PM
I struggled a little with it today, but I do have the camcorder up and running as a webcam, and I do have live streaming working on my Youtube.

My battery died on my Surface Pro, and for some reason, I don't have my extra power adapter here, so my experiment is over. I was struggling with the video coming in being not very good, but I suspect I have mismatched settings or something. According to all the specs, I should be fine. Also, my internet connection in the office is suspect; not as good as my hotspot on my phone.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Phone: download 69.1 Mbps, upload 25.7, latency 83ms
office wi-fi: download 9.27 Mbps, upload 18.8, latency 10ms (checked again, and gave it the faster of the two).

I guess the upload is the one that matters, and it's closer than I thought. Or is it the download and the upload that matters if I'm streaming to youtube?

Darrell KSR
08-13-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out some of the definitions as well. At first, I thought Ultra low latency sounded great. But it seems that the viewers might have to tolerate more buffering.

There really won't be any interaction, but just a streaming of an event that I want them to see. I don't even care if it is in real time or not. Wouldn't bother me if there were a delay of however long before it begins streaming.

5 Seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, heck 5 minutes wouldn't be too much delay. I guess 5 minutes would be a long time, but seriously a little delay wouldn't matter as long as they could view it streaming smoothly.

KentuckyWildcat
08-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Upload matters. I'll read the rest later.

Darrell KSR
08-17-2018, 09:24 AM
I'm going to play with it some more this weekend. I need to get it down "pat" before September, but I still have a couple of weeks before I go "live" with what I'm planning to do.