PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think about Lance vs USADA/WADA?

Doc
08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
If you don't know the story, its time for you to leave your cave...LINK (http://www.chron.com/news/article/US-doping-agency-erases-Lance-Armstrong-s-titles-3811806.php)

I have two problems with the anti-doping agencies actions. First, Lance never failed a test. Not one, and its not for a lack of trying. He has some "enemies" and to me these enemies are people who are in charge for the anti doping. I see that a bit like Emmert and UK. You have somebody or an authorative organization with a personal vendetta attempting to crush somebody. They have all the tools to be judge jury and executioner. Yet despite that, they have yet to catch him. Second, the evidence is a bunch of guys who have already been caught cheatin. Some of those have an ax to grind concerning Lance (see Floyd Landis) yet this is the basis of the evidence against Lance. One thing mentioned by Cowherd is that bad people hang around bad people. As he correctly noted, you are not going to catch a murderer by hanging around Mother Theresa. However the evidence is based on the assumption that everybody in cycling dopes and the testimony of "unidentified witnesses".

I don't blame Armstrong for "giving up". He has been targetted for 3 years and has not been actively competing for years yet still they continue. Personally I respect him for standing up as long as he did. In a way I see it a bit like Johnathan Vilma of the Saints, who steadfastly denies he did anything wrong and won't accept a plea because he feels he did nothing wrong. I appreciate one who stands on principles even at their own detriment. If there was any hard evidence against L.A., I'd be the first to jump off his bandwagon. I deplore cheaters. Even with his charitable work for cancer, where he found to be dirty then I'd never support his charity. To support that, see my views on Jimmy Valvano and the "V foundation". To me, this looks like a witch hunt/vendetta where the target finally said "this isn't worth it". Too bad because if he is clean, its a shame.

jazyd
08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Doc, I agree with 99% of what you wrote, the only part I disagree with is on Vilma as I think he was in on the bounty..but on LA I think he got tired of fighting something that was totally stacked against him and had the weight of the government behind them.

Like you said he never failed to pass a test and somewhere along the line with as many as he took one would think at least one of them could have caught him if he was dirty. And those that would testify against him, all are looking for a deal to help them out.

Why spend millions more in legal fees when it doesnt' matter, he knew he would lose, his word against actual cheats. Somehow I can't imagine him admitting to lots of people that he was actually cheating knowing any or all could turn on him instantly. He isn't that dumb.

On Vilma he knows if he loses this year he doesn't have a lot more left in him. Williams nor Payton put up a huge fight and accepted their penalties as did the GM and owner. Watching the game against Favre, there is not doubt they were doing dirty hits on him and Vilma was the leader of that defense. There is a reason he got a year when the rest got limited number of games. Payton suspension was for lying and telling his coaches to lie. After all Vilma played at Miami where they had a degree in cheating and then lying. :)

SalsaKat
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
So, if I get this right, they have absolutely no evidence beyond hearsay from biased/unreliable persons?

Catonahottinroof
08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
He's never failed a drug test as far as I have heard. What grounds exist?

Doc
08-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Unnamed sources, one of which is Floyd Landis, who were his teammates that did test positive. According to them they witnessed him using PED. Of course Lance never tested positive so apparently he didn't share his secret elixir that rendered his urine and blood free of compounds tested for. The dirty bastard failed to share his secret with his teammates. He wasn't concerned enough to do his doping in private but was concerned enough not to share how he manage to fool the system over 500 times.

Yeah, this makes sense (DWS)

Catfan73
08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
The most ridiculous thing is when the head of the USADA says we can't prove he's done anything wrong, but we know he has anyway.

Lance knows his legacy is set; they've already raised an astounding half a billion dollars for cancer research. The USADA on the other hand will go down in history as the organization that wanted to win a turf war pissing match so badly that they used an American hero to do it.

badrose
08-27-2012, 12:03 PM
It's a witch hunt, pure and simple. The Emmert/UK analogy is spot on.

KSRBEvans
08-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Continuing to go after the guy even after he's retired makes these agencies look like Inspector Javert from Les Miserables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javert). If I were him I think I'd do the same thing: tell them "To hell with you, I'm going to use my time and resources to fight cancer" and move on.

Doc
08-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Continuing to go after the guy even after he's retired makes these agencies look like Inspector Javert from Les Miserables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javert). If I were him I think I'd do the same thing: tell them "To hell with you, I'm going to use my time and resources to fight cancer" and move on.

I was thinking more Inspector Clouseau

jazyd
08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
That is all they have. The guy is retired, never to race again so they go after him. Hell leave him alone so he can raise more for cancer but NOOOOOOOOOO, they want to strut their stuff. Idiots.

So, if I get this right, they have absolutely no evidence beyond hearsay from biased/unreliable persons?