PDA

View Full Version : O'Reilly does pretty good job on issue

CitizenBBN
12-19-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't watch the shows, but watched the website segment on this issue. He covered some very important facts.

-- This will happen again, no matter what we do. Doesn't mean we don't do anything, but let's understand our situation.

-- Mass murders are in fact declining in the US. The peak decade was the 90s, and has declined thereafter. What's interesting there that he doesn't directly say is the Clinton Assault Weapons ban that included the high cap magazine ban was in effect from 1994 to 2004. Columbine was right in the middle of it fwiw. Worst year for mass murders? 1929.

-- Murders of school age children have declined by 42% from 1992 to 2008. 1% of children who are killed are killed at school.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2044283840001/

Good piece on the issue. The need for smart solutions versus emotional reactions. Not supporting useless legislation which makes us feel good but does nothing to protect children from future risk.

Also a big key: including questions about the mental health issue and video games and media gun culture. One thing I see maybe happening in response to the push by the left: if we're going to talk about the impact of guns, lets' talk about the impact of entertainment/video games that desensitize kids to violence.

I notice Feinstein (d-CA) doesn't talk about limits of any kind on the 1st Amendment. Oh wait, she comes from a state that makes billions on the entertainment industry's marketing of guns and violence, just not the guns themselves.

The position is if those who support the 2nd Amendment have to give then those who so support the 1st Amendment need to give too. The gun culture isn't just about gun ownership, it's about the constant entertainment industry focus on violence as well.

Their position will be that it should all be on the table, not just the things they want to curtail but everything that could impact the risk of this happening again.

Also covers the far Left's motives to scrap the Constitution. I'm no alarmist but I have no doubt the far Left wants far more government power than the Constitution allows.

CitizenBBN
12-19-2012, 01:16 AM
To reinforce that for those unfamiliar with video game popularity the Xbox's most popular sellers:

4 of the top 5 sellers, 8 of the top 10 and 12 of the top 16 are first person shooter games with detailed military operation simulations using guns far more powerful than the guns they want to ban. Except Grand Theft Auto where you not only shoot people, you get to be a felon as well.

Top 3 movies this year? The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall. None are viciously graphic, all 3 are still violent with guns.

I"m not one to blame video games for our problems, but if we're going to ask why these kids and young adults are committing such violent acts it would seem the Left's favorite amendment may need to be on that same chopping block.

If nothing else it's a good shift by the gun supporters. Those video games are far less popular with people than gun ownership, and IMO may be more causative of these problems than just which weapon they happen to obtain. Something sends them in search of one first and at that point it's too late.

CattyWampus
12-19-2012, 07:32 AM
The biggest task the pro-gun advocates have is getting the issue framed properly. Typically, that's how Conservatives lose most of the arguments on issues. Look at how the Left use terms that are designed to garner support for their positions. (Take note that when I use the term "Left", I include the MSM.)

"Gun Control" is used by both sides of the argument, but has entirely different meanings depending upon which side of the issue you support. To advocates of the 2nd Amendment, "gun control" means keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, minors, or those who have been proven to lack the mental/emotional capacity to responsibly own or handle firearms. To many on the Left, "gun control" means ignoring the 2nd Amendment and actually banning guns. For many on the Right, "gun control" is a slippery slope because they know what the Left really wants.

"Assault Weapon" is largely a term of ignorance. Firearms that look like military weapons are deemed assault weapons by the Left, regardless of their mechanics. Unless a firearm is functionally a fully automatic weapon, it is silly to deem it as an "assault weapon". Most people will hear the term "assault weapon" and think that it's something it's not.

Arguing the 2nd Amendment as giving us the right to bear arms will not get the traction needed unless we find a way of getting through the filter of the media and to educate the masses as to overcome the dishonesty used by the anti-gun lobby. We can't depend on the GOP or the RNC to help us win this debate. We just can't.

Doc
12-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I actually like O'Reilly's show. It usually fairly logical and balance as he occasionally strays from the conservatives talking points. I do find his constant interruptions, the "snake tongue" and him telling me he is the _____ guy around (fill in the blank with "funny" or "balanced" or etc) more than a bit annoying.

Mostly I watch Wed for Miller. Love Miller. Also Jessie Waters because he usually shows how dumb people are. Corolla is funny too although he occasionally stick his foot in his mouth.

On the issue at hand, BO is correct. Nothing could have prevented this. The guy was a loon and loons will find a way.

CattyWampus
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM

KeithKSR
12-19-2012, 09:49 PM
We live in a society where a large segment of the population does not want to place responsibility where it belongs, the individual. Constantly making excuses for those that do wrong in order to excuse their behavior is the downfall of society.

As I tell my students at school when I grew up there was no A-D-D...... we had the P-A-D-D-L-E.

I had a kid tell me he was going to be hyper, because he had chocolate. I looked at him and said, "Not in my class." Not another peep out of him that class period.

Way too many kids are medicated because parents don't want to parent. I see very few real cases of ADD; but a crapload of medicated kids. I'd like to see a study done on how many of these youth and young adults are or have been medicated for ADD or ADHD. I'd wager the bulk of them have been on meds.

jazyd
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
bingo on that Keith.

I watch BO for his guests, not for him. He is one of the more arrogant, conceited people on TV. He constantly interrupts people and the topper was one he told Megyn Kelly, who clerked for a Supreme Court Justice, that she didn't know what she was talking about on a point of law. But he does have good guests. Same reason I watch Hannity, for hte guests.

But I do like watching Greta because..she does not interrupt, she is very smart, and she will not let her guests try to spin their way out of an answer.

We live in a society where a large segment of the population does not want to place responsibility where it belongs, the individual. Constantly making excuses for those that do wrong in order to excuse their behavior is the downfall of society.

As I tell my students at school when I grew up there was no A-D-D...... we had the P-A-D-D-L-E.

I had a kid tell me he was going to be hyper, because he had chocolate. I looked at him and said, "Not in my class." Not another peep out of him that class period.

Way too many kids are medicated because parents don't want to parent. I see very few real cases of ADD; but a crapload of medicated kids. I'd like to see a study done on how many of these youth and young adults are or have been medicated for ADD or ADHD. I'd wager the bulk of them have been on meds.

CitizenBBN
12-19-2012, 11:46 PM
O'Reilly was pretty good when he started. He called people on their BS but wasn't interrupting to launch into a speech and he didn't just interrupt for the sake of it. He wasn't the story, he was ripping the story apart if it was BS. like most everyone who gets that big he starts thinking he's the story.

It's a shame. We desperately need people to call out the pat answers and nonsense of both sides. Make them really address things and not just spout that day's talking points.