PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Lexington hotel?

Darrell KSR
12-17-2012, 01:31 PM
At one point when we were on Scout or on Rivals, we had a "visitor's guide" to Lexington pinned on the board. I think it had places to see, places to eat, places to stay, etc.

Anyway, we probably should recreate that, especially before football season begins when we have many more visitors to Lexington. But in the meantime, for any of you who semi-regularly travel to Lexington, do you have any recommendations for hotels?

I may be going this weekend, and although I would enjoy staying downtown, I will probably just stay some place for half the price. Do you have any recommendations?

dan_bgblue
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I am thru Lex a lot but almost never stay there. Winchester, Richmond, and Maysville is where I normally stay. We do have meetings in the Ramada Inn and Conference Center so I do stay there 2 or 3 times a year. Older facility, but reasonably well kept and reasonably priced. It is right off I-75 at exit 113 (hwy 68 or Paris Pike). If you follow the signs for 68 west, it will take you right down town within spitting distance of Rupp. Probably about 2-3 miles and a million stop lights.

MickintheHam
12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
It is hard to find a very reasonably priced hotel in Lexington. I doubt you will find much half the price away from downtown. Once you consider all, you may be just as well off at the Hilton. I have found that the Residence Inn Keeneland on Harrodsburg Rd at New Circle will negotiate a bit on the rates. It's about 18 months old. Good breakfast and a basketball court. It gives both you and son a little bit of space. I also recommend the Homewood Suites in Ruccio Dr, which is near the Fayette Mall, between Clays Mill and Nick Rd. Holiday Inn Express on Virginia Av will generally give you a good rate. The main north south Southern Railway line from Cincinnati to the Gulf Coast is right next door. Mention that and they might knock a few dollars off the rate. University Inn is an older hotel, but very clean. They have little turnover in the housekeeping staff, which I always rate as a positive. It's right across the street from Chandler Medical Center and CWS. But, it is very hard to get a room under $100.

bubbleup
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I used to sit next to a guy at FB games who came up from Charlotte and always stayed at the SpringHill Suites on South Broadway. If you're up to it you can walk to downtown, campus or even FB games from there.

Catonahottinroof
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I used to sit next to a guy at FB games who came up from Charlotte and always stayed at the SpringHill Suites on South Broadway. If you're up to it you can walk to downtown, campus or even FB games from there.

The SpringHill is nice, breakfast is nice too. It's getting pricey, and the Residence Inn in Hamburg has gotten beyond stupid pricing as well. I don't stay in Lexington overnight for work as my employer has decided expenses are too high in that locale.
Is there that much demand in Lexington these days?

CitizenBBN
12-17-2012, 09:30 PM
The Radisson was bought and is now a Hilton and did a nice upgrade. Friday night $132 AAA rate.

Gratz Park Inn is a great place downtown. Not a bargain spot. Quick look says $180 for Friday night. Super location though.

Crowne Plaza is usually a little better, site says $120 but I know people have stayed there for less.

Holiday Inn Express on Virginia Avenue (Export St technically) is best I found. $100 and it's still really close to downtown. Pretty new place, should still be in good shape.

Those are all ideal places for the games as well, also the Hyatt. Hyatt needs a makeover though. Downtown b/c the touchdown downtown shuttles run from the Rupp lot so you can just ride over to the games. the Holiday Inn, Springhill, Crown Plaza you can walk.

You can also just crash on the couch at my place Darrell. Honestly I can't say I recommend it, couch is pretty comfy but my house is in a constant state of disaster. lol.

CitizenBBN
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Springhill is $120. For the $10 I'd stay at the Hilton for sure. You're right there. There's even ice skating there now if you want to go.

MickintheHam
12-17-2012, 09:33 PM

I was going to recommend Spring Hill as it is convenient and a nice hotel. But as Tin Roof said its prices have become ridiculous. For same money you can stay downtown or go to the outlying areas and get a lot more room. I always liked the fact if you got a room on the back side of SHS you could watch the activity at Big Red Mile.

ladycat92
12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Hotels.com has SHS at $99 and the Holiday Inn Express down close to Virginia Ave. at $105. Marriott Courtyard on Wall Street is $100. Marriott Courtyard Hamburg is $79.