PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mass shooting in elementary school in Connecticut, 27 dead

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Per CBS News, 27 are dead, at least 14 children.

Don't know if that number is correct, but horrific tragedy unfolding.

One gunman is dead. May have been two gunmen.

akaukswoosh
12-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Terrible

TonyRay
12-14-2012, 12:17 PM
As one that sends three to school everyday, I couldn't imagine he pain.

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Physically ill.

Saw a video of a 3rd grade little girl describing the shooting.

3rd grade.

Darryl
12-14-2012, 12:20 PM
This is simply hard to believe. The reports coming in are the shooter was the father of one of the children.

Darryl

Bakert
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
It's so horrible I can't even begin to describe my feelings.

I only wish the person who did it had not been killed so that he could have been used by the CIA for exploring new advanced torture techniques. Being killed was to easy for someone like this.

VirginiaCat
12-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Why is the only think one can think of to say. I am more happy we are homeschooling when I hear these stories. I cannot imagine the loss or feelings of the parents.

UKHistory
12-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Dear Lord. What a horrible, horrible thing. I have no words.

Darryl
12-14-2012, 12:39 PM
A little boy was just interviewed and said he "was happy we are alive"

Darryl

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
School is locked. Required I.D. before entry. Video surveillance when entering.

As much security as you'll usually find at a school.

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 12:46 PM
By the way, what do you guys think about interviewing the kids during a tragedy like this? I watch their interviews, listen to them, while not happy they exist. So I am feeding the beast, I guess.

wes011
12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Shouldn't interview the kids. This blows my mind....there is nothing that can be done to anyone that warrants taking your frustrations out on any child. I am the father of a 5 year old and a 7 week old....so this stuff hits me pretty hard. I think all schools need to enhance security and make you enter a security code to enter the schools. Either that or put armed military at the entrances and include a sniper tower. Just senseless violence.

blueboss
12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Spineless evil bast&#@

CitizenBBN
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't even know what you do with that kind of pure evil. I don't know how you stop it and I don't know of any torture harsh enough if you kept him alive for 100 years to do it.

akaukswoosh
12-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Reports indicate the 24-yo shooter is dead. His mother was a kindergarten teacher at the school. He went to the school, started shooting in the principal's office then went to his mother's room, and killed her along with many kindergarten age children in the room.

VirginiaCat
12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Killed his mother who was a teacher at the school....then went to the school to do this. My daughter is 5 and would be in KG if we were not home schooling. Simply, a tragedy carried out by a sick individual...

VirginiaCat
12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Now confirming he killed his mother and father in their house before going to the school...

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 02:14 PM
According to police, Lanza, 24, is suspected of killing 27 people -- 8 adults and 18 children -- at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryan-lanza-identified-as-connecticut-school-shooter

Don't know if it's the police that were the math majors, or the newspaper reporter....

Darrell KSR
12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
VirginiaCat, I wouldn't feel comfortable because my kids were home schooled. Could've been a home invasion just as easily. Had one of those in our fair hamlet not too long ago, too (fortunately, the person at home had the gun, rather than the invader.)

Only way to protect is in an enclosed bomb shelter. And don't go shopping at the mall. And don't go to the movies. Well, you get the idea.

VirginiaCat
12-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Now saying Brother of shooter found dead at apartment in Hoboken...

CitizenBBN
12-14-2012, 02:27 PM
This guy's girlfriend and another friend are currently missing. The person they arrested in the woods nearby in camo is this guy's younger brother. This is going to end up one twisted tale even more senseless than before.

The Fox news reports aren't clear where the mother was killed yet. Doesn't mean a thing of course as most of this is coming from off the record reports.

CitizenBBN
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Now saying Brother of shooter found dead at apartment in Hoboken...

Fox is saying his younger brother was the one in the woods. Wonder if he had 2 brothers. Imagine his GF is dead somewhere too.

Bakert
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Now confirming he killed his mother and father in their house before going to the school...

Just FWIW, I've not seen this confirmed anywhere. What I've read is that he killed his mother, who taught at the school, at the school before killing the students in her classroom. Also, unlike what you indicate below, I've not seen that his brother has been found dead but rather that he has been taken into custody. That by the AP at 3:01.

MTcatfan
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
This just gets me so emotional. I have 5 kids aged 17, 14, 10, 5, and 3. I just can't imagine dropping my kindergardner off at school and he never returns. I am really at a loss for words...what a tragedy...

Crazy4Blue
12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Horible, horrible, horrible. I just can't understand people that can go this far.

akaukswoosh
12-14-2012, 02:56 PM
State police says 20 kids killed at school, 6 adults, & the killer himself. One adult killed in NJ, probably the killer's brother.

Padukacat
12-14-2012, 03:16 PM
My heart breaks for these poor babies and their families. Children are so innocent and pure in a world of sick people and in this case the evil spawns a sicko. Just so sad.

VirginiaCat
12-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Just FWIW, I've not seen this confirmed anywhere. What I've read is that he killed his mother, who taught at the school, at the school before killing the students in her classroom. Also, unlike what you indicate below, I've not seen that his brother has been found dead but rather that he has been taken into custody. That by the AP at 3:01.

You are right..lots of bad info coming out..one minute brother dead,, another he is under arrest, another etc etc.

Need to step back from the emotion. Sorry guys. This really had me in tears. I simply cannot imagine dropping my baby off to school and then never seeing her again.

suncat05
12-14-2012, 03:34 PM
As everyone that's been on here for awhile knows, I am a Deputy Sheriff working for a small agency in SW Florida. I work Court Security in the county Courthouse.
Our county high school, one of our middle schools and the elementary schools are across the street and a block over from the Courthouse.
This is one of the scenarios that absolutely concerns me above all others that could happen here. And trust me, just because I live and work in a relatively quiet community, we still have our share of people that are not "quite right", if you follow my meaning. We have an inordinately high number of sexual offenders here, but we keep very close tabs on them. I mean very close. But we have not had a gun related crime around here in a couple of years now(we did have a retired Deputy Sheriff that was working as a bail bondsman get killed with a .270 rifle by a criminal out on bond that he was going to revoke bond on and return to jail), and before that it had been well over ten years since we'd had a homicide here.
I know that all it takes is one incident, and it can happen anywhere. I am as prepared as I possibly can be for a shooting in the Courthouse. I have already mentally prepared myself for what I know I may have to do. But with all of these school shootings lately, I too am concerned about having to go over to the school and deal with an active shooter. I keep extra handgun rounds in my patrol car, as well as my shotgun and AR-15 and plenty of 5.56 mm for just such an occasion.
I pray and hope that I NEVER have to use any of them. However, being as I am the closest Deputy to the school besides the School Resource Deputy, I also realize that I may be the first or second Deputy to have to confront an active shooter at the school if it were to ever happen here. Should I ever have to I know that I will have probably arrived too late to save some of those precious children, but I will stop that shooter by whatever legal means necessary to end the incident.
I hope it never happens here. This one particular scenario of an active school shooter is the one that concerns me above all other things.
Now we'll here all of the usual crap about needing more "gun control". These kinds of incidents are almost impossible to prevent. And there will ALWAYS be guns around, no matter the amount and scope of "gun control" in place. And these kinds of incidents have happened all over the world(Russia, Africa, Philippines among places that come to mind)so it is clear that gun control is not the answer. So how do you stop this stuff? I don't know, except that stopping the incident is always an after-the-fact result of response with the way these incidents always play out.

MTcatfan
12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
As everyone that's been on here for awhile knows, I am a Deputy Sheriff working for a small agency in SW Florida. I work Court Security in the county Courthouse.
Our county high school, one of our middle schools and the elementary schools are across the street and a block over from the Courthouse.
This is one of the scenarios that absolutely concerns me above all others that could happen here. And trust me, just because I live and work in a relatively quiet community, we still have our share of people that are not "quite right", if you follow my meaning. We have an inordinately high number of sexual offenders here, but we keep very close tabs on them. I mean very close. But we have not had a gun related crime around here in a couple of years now(we did have a retired Deputy Sheriff that was working as a bail bondsman get killed with a .270 rifle by a criminal out on bond that he was going to revoke bond on and return to jail), and before that it had been well over ten years since we'd had a homicide here.
I know that all it takes is one incident, and it can happen anywhere. I am as prepared as I possibly can be for a shooting in the Courthouse. I have already mentally prepared myself for what I know I may have to do. But with all of these school shootings lately, I too am concerned about having to go over to the school and deal with an active shooter. I keep extra handgun rounds in my patrol car, as well as my shotgun and AR-15 and plenty of 5.56 mm for just such an occasion.
I pray and hope that I NEVER have to use any of them. However, being as I am the closest Deputy to the school besides the School Resource Deputy, I also realize that I may be the first or second Deputy to have to confront an active shooter at the school if it were to ever happen here. Should I ever have to I know that I will have probably arrived too late to save some of those precious children, but I will stop that shooter by whatever legal means necessary to end the incident.
I hope it never happens here. This one particular scenario of an active school shooter is the one that concerns me above all other things.
Now we'll here all of the usual crap about needing more "gun control". These kinds of incidents are almost impossible to prevent. And there will ALWAYS be guns around, no matter the amount and scope of "gun control" in place. And these kinds of incidents have happened all over the world(Russia, Africa, Philippines among places that come to mind)so it is clear that gun control is not the answer. So how do you stop this stuff? I don't know, except that stopping the incident is always an after-the-fact result of response with the way these incidents always play out.

I work at a small community college and I just got on the safety committee at my school, and in response to a school killing at a community college in Casper, Wyoming(a deranged son brought a high powered bow and knives into a classroom and killed the teacher, who was his father. Before the father died he attacked the son and caused the killer to be mortally wounded, therefore no students were hurt. The son had killed the father's live in girlfriend before he went to the school, and yes this is eerily similar to today, just without guns) , we were meeting today to discuss our emergency response procedures for this type of attack. I found out about the attack today 5 minutes before our meeting, and needless to say it definitely put a pall over our meeting. What I think this shows everyone is that you can't stick your head into the sand and act like it can't happen in your community because it most certainly can, and you have to be prepared. I know that I know what we need to do and now we just need to get it implemented and make sure everyone understands how to react to reduce the loss of life. Unfortunately I am not sure that you can prevent loss of life, you just have to have a plan in place with people who can react to that plan in an effort to reduce the casualties. I hate being that dark, but this type of thing takes you to dark places.

All I know is that with my kids I have a hard time even talking about it, I just get to emotional...

KMSBball
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
My granddaughter goes to elementary school in N KY. Her school has been holding drills to teach the kids what to do in case something like this happens. It just blows my mind that an 8 year old has to learn this may be a reality that she will face. What will it take for the US to reexamine our gun laws. I'm not talking about taking them away but putting some common sense into the laws.

blue2ksr
12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
This tragedy is more than a tragedy, whatever that is called. I can't imagine or fathom such a thing. This has shaken me up and breaks my heart. There is nothing more pure than the innocence of a child. May God bless and comfort all those touched by this madness.
When will it end?

LakeCat
12-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Those precious little children are with God and we are left to pick up the pieces. This world seems to be getting more evil by the day and it will come all to a end someday maybe sooner than many think and no I am not talking about the Myan Calendar.

CitizenBBN
12-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Those precious little children are with God and we are left to pick up the pieces. This world seems to be getting more evil by the day and it will come all to a end someday maybe sooner than many think and no I am not talking about the Myan Calendar.

This is one of those times I actually hope there is a hell and a special place for people like this. Some things are beyond reason, they are just unrefined evil.

In the Middle Ages it would have been attributed to possession by a demon, and honestly they may have been right. What human could stand there and do such a thing?

uklandrn
12-15-2012, 05:38 AM
I work in a hospital - in labor and delivery. Every day I worry about this type of thing occuring on my unit. I work with people who are having babies taken away by social services - people who are addicted to drugs, and people who are mentally unstable (both patient and significant other). I have been threatened by a drug dealer who told me and my fellow nurses he wanted to make sure we were all "Taken out of here in body bags". I have been hit, kicked, spit on, and had a FOB (father of the baby) carry a pistol into the room to watch his baby born. He refused to give up the weapon and I had to call security and the police to have him removed from the building. I say all that to say this = I can not imagine EVER sending my little one to school and being informed they were killed. As an adult - I know this is a horrible world. Bad things happen. Not all people are good. Not all people are mentally stable. Yet - when we speak about 5 year olds - we expect everyone will recognize their innocence. May God be with all the families who lost loved ones. I for one will pray harder for all of us.

cattails
12-15-2012, 06:27 AM
A little boy was just interviewed and said he "was happy we are alive"

Darryl

I may step on some toes but this is a time to leave people like that little boy alone, they don't need to relive the experience. Freedom of press sometimes goes to far, give these kids a break. And America does not have to know and does not need to know what it was like for an 8 year old child.

cattails
12-15-2012, 06:31 AM
It's so horrible I can't even begin to describe my feelings.

I only wish the person who did it had not been killed so that he could have been used by the CIA for exploring new advanced torture techniques. Being killed was to easy for someone like this.

Not me, glad they put an end to that life. No chance to do it again, live 15 to 20 years in prison, millions of dollars spent on process before death chamber. And it could go on and on.

UKHistory
12-15-2012, 10:51 AM
It is so bad on so many levels. I guess I am struck with even more disbelief that the man killed his mother at her home AND then went to the school and killed children and a substitute teacher.

I am asking why in an attempt to better understand madness and cruelty.

That is an impossible thing or at least I really don't want to understand that point of view.

Babies. Just babies.

Hold yours tight. Love those around you. Make the world a better place because of the evil we have just been confronted with facing.

jazyd
12-15-2012, 02:23 PM
More guns will not stop evil. But we as a country need to do a better job of identifying mentally ill people who are capable of this type evil. This young man was mentally unstable who stole his moms guns....that we're bought legally....killed the mom and then slaughtered those babies. No gun law would have prevented this.

We continue as a country to adopt more and more liberal anything goes attitude, no right and wrong but just grey areas. We have kicked God not only out of our schools but in every phase of our government even though out founders had a strong belief in Him. We have allowed millions of babies to be killed and call it abortion and women have rights to do what they want with their bodies without regard for the baby

We give more and more money to those who refuse to work and take from those who ar doers.

Our country is changing and IMO. Not for the better and look where we are now.

I was sick whEn I heard the news, I thought about my 2 young grandchildren and how I would feel if this happened to them

This is not the time to be like the liberal politicians who rush to use anY tragedy for thei political views w/o knowing the facts

Instead of worrying about laws we all should have been praying for those babies, their parents and families, and for those that survived. I prayed a long time last night for all of them and then had a long conversation with God asking Him how this could happen. I was not happy with Him but know He understands and like a good Father He listened and now I have to listen to whatever His answer is.

This is evil pure and simple and we all, liberal and conservative alike, need to work together to do what it takes to solve this problem

BigBluePappy
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Just got through putting under dash lights in my grandsons car and talking to him about this.
Thankful I have all 8 to still call my own.

Lord, I am so thankful, and so sorry for what the parents and grandparents are going through right now.
Please be with them and comfort them as only You can.

truecatsfan
12-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Jazy, i agree with you on the goverment taking God out of everything. One other thing is the games these kids play today on the game systems is nothing but killing.

MickintheHam
12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
There are a lot of ills in this society that we are incapable of addressing. Kids are being raised in non traditional family units. Our public schools are completely failing kids. Take away guns if you wish and you'll still have a country of sick people. We need some fundamental societal changes.

ETWNAPPEL
12-15-2012, 08:59 PM
I can't help but think this all is the result of a total decrease in respect for life. Kids play video games where they become desensitized to firing away at people. Movies glorify killing. The press immortalizes the killers. Babies can be killed up to the point of birth. Just so sad. Will be interesting to hear the motive. Reports say the police have one.

dan_bgblue
12-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Mick, I hope you do not mind that I changed this quote a bit to reflect my thoughts.

Kids are being allowed to grow older in non traditional family units

KeithKSR
12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Ten years ago next month a sixth grade student took another student hostage at our school by gun point. Thankfully one of our teachers and our SRO talked the kid into releasing the hostage. After releasing the hostage he exited the building, still armed. I was on cafeteria duty, with 150+ students. I had them lined up against the walls away from windows and doors. I took a position at the doors to the cafeteria, had them closed, but there was no way to lock them. As the armed student exited the school he walked within feet of me, not knowing I was watching him as he walked by.

Every time an incident like this happens I shudder and think of what might have happpened.

MTcatfan
12-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Yep lets blame the liberals because the know it all my **** doesn't stink conservatives know everything...this type of crap after this type of tragedy just makes me sick. The last few posts in this thread make me seriously reevaluate whether or not I want to spend my time around this board.

I have 5 kids in my nontraditional family because for one his traditional family had a mother so mentality ill she couldn't take care of him and a father who left and wanted nothing to do with him, another one had a traditional family with an alcoholic dad 20 years older than mom, then mom died, and he went to another traditional family where the wife died of cancer and the husband molested his older sister, I have another one who's traditional family got a divorce, dad wants nothing to do with him, mom remarried and her and stepdad blamed every problem they had on the kid and said he was a lying, deceitful, violent child of which in the year I have had him he was been the most gentle most honest child I have, I have another child whose mother was from a traditional family who's father went away for molesting his children, and then the sons followed suit and my child is a product of a most unholy union, my youngest's traditional family had dad beating mom, both to young, both drank to much and they let a 2 year old escape the house in below zero weather to wander the streets until luckly found before any damage was done.

Look I have nothing against traditional families, I am from one, but just pisses me off to see such caring conservatives try to take such a tragic thing and act like a bunch of know it alls, like only they know how to fix things. Well guess what the fix for these tragic shootings is much more complex than getting back to "traditional" family values and to suggest that it is that simple is insulting. Plus to act like only liberals try to take advantage of this type of situation is just as insulting. I have no friggin clue what the answer is but I can guarendamntee you it is not as simple as liberal/conservative bull.

blue2ksr
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Yep lets blame the liberals because the know it all my **** doesn't stink conservatives know everything...this type of crap after this type of tragedy just makes me sick. The last few posts in this thread make me seriously reevaluate whether or not I want to spend my time around this board.

I have 5 kids in my nontraditional family because for one his traditional family had a mother so mentality ill she couldn't take care of him and a father who left and wanted nothing to do with him, another one had a traditional family with an alcoholic dad 20 years older than mom, then mom died, and he went to another traditional family where the wife died of cancer and the husband molested his older sister, I have another one who's traditional family got a divorce, dad wants nothing to do with him, mom remarried and her and stepdad blamed every problem they had on the kid and said he was a lying, deceitful, violent child of which in the year I have had him he was been the most gentle most honest child I have, I have another child whose mother was from a traditional family who's father went away for molesting his children, and then the sons followed suit and my child is a product of a most unholy union, my youngest's traditional family had dad beating mom, both to young, both drank to much and they let a 2 year old escape the house in below zero weather to wander the streets until luckly found before any damage was done.

Look I have nothing against traditional families, I am from one, but just pisses me off to see such caring conservatives try to take such a tragic thing and act like a bunch of know it alls, like only they know how to fix things. Well guess what the fix for these tragic shootings is much more complex than getting back to "traditional" family values and to suggest that it is that simple is insulting. Plus to act like only liberals try to take advantage of this type of situation is just as insulting. I have no friggin clue what the answer is but I can guarendamntee you it is not as simple as liberal/conservative bull.

Maybe it's bad to compare one tragedy to another, and that's not my intention, but this thing is probably the worst tragedy I have seen in my 55 years on this earth, what with so many pure, innocent lives being lost. What an emotional topic!

Everyone is upset, the entire nation and most of the world.

No one has the complete answer of how to prevent this from happening again. It's going to take many things to fall in line, only one of which is returning to traditional family values, but I'm afraid those days are long gone (for the most part).

KentuckyCane
12-16-2012, 12:47 AM

Well said and I agree with the first statement very much.

UKHistory
12-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Purely "traditional" values as I think we describe them ended with two bites of fruit.

Adam and Eve had a son who killed his brother.

Evil has been around for a long time. Nothing new is under the sun and our innocense was lost a race with our understanding of being.

This person's sickness is horrific on many levels not the least of which is the cowardice to kill women and children.

I carry the Constitution with me. I am a firm believer in the second amendment. What does this sick bastard do if he doesn't have a gun?

How is he killing the children? How many does he kill?

We got problems in this country. Folks need love. They need a hug. Some need a kick in the ass and others a good shake. All of that with love.

But folks need love before they hurt others. Before they embrace a darkness that overcomes their spirit and leads them off.

CGWildcat
12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
For thos of you familiar with the "elf on the shelf" a friend of mine just posted this picture on FB.1371

CitizenBBN
12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Man, it's going to be a pain in the butt to fix this thread.

OT on the premy board is fine for this topic, focused on our feelings about it and thanking our lucky stars we didn't lose anyone.

The political and religious side of it is why we have the Barber Shop. There you can go and discuss this to your heart's content away from the sports focus that draws us all together.

I'm going to copy this thread there, then delete the Barber Shop area posts from this one.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
MTcatfan --- Don't worry. First this stuff is NOT for this board. We come from all walks of life here and those differences are set aside here. We have a place for their discussion and it's not here b/c just like people in general we need to learn to set aside differences when we can.

Second, my life is pretty dang non-traditional in a lot of ways, and all but devoid of religion. I don't accept that such things are the source of this problem just like I don't accept that the weapon he chose to use has anything to do with this problem. This was a mentally ill person who was a threat to others allowed to walk among us. Whether he came from a divorced home or a white picket fence home, whether he used guns or pipe bombs or whatever, none of that matters to the situation and NONE of it is relevant to the discussion of this incident on this board.

Just wanted to say you're not alone on this board. We come from all walks of life, and now it's time to take this discussion away from those who don't want to participate and go to the Barber Shop with it, where it is clear what will be discussed and can be thus avoided or engaged in as one wishes.