PDA

View Full Version : I am Adam Lanza's Mom

Darrell KSR
12-16-2012, 09:03 AM
http://t.co/ULPeRrrN

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

badrose
12-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Sorry. I didn't see this before I linked it in the other thread. Definitely belongs at the top of the list of discussions on how to prevent some of these tragedies.

bigsky
12-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Violently insane people need to be institutionalized. And sometimes, it can happen before they shoot a bunch of kids or people. But someone will need to make that point to the ACLU.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Please let's get this woman on national TV so people can understand what's really going on here.

Warning. My next two paragraphs are graphic. Also 100% accurate, but if we're to learn from this we have to soberly face what happened:

People worry about the guns, what about the level of disturbance it takes to even WANT to kill 20 kids, much less stand there and methodically do it, killing one then the next then the next?

The problem is the weapon he chose to use while he stood there watching a child die, blood going everywhere, then walked over and did it again? Are you kidding? Do you think someone that sick will somehow turn into a safe person b/c he can't get a 20 round magazine at the local gun store? Because he has to use a shotgun instead of a rifle, or just drive over them with his car or beat them to death with a bat?

Yes it's time for a serious discussion on what happened Friday, but we're having the wrong discussion.

In fact we may want to go back to a move made under the administration of my favorite President, Ronald Reagan, when funding for mental institutions was cut and a lot of patients under treatment were turned away into the general population as homeless people or to families ill-equipped to deal with them.

The mental health system in this country is totally neglected while we debate the tangential but more media salable gun issue.

Wonderful story by a woman I really feel for and one who is dealing with a great burden with a maturity and toughness I could never match. PLEASE get her talking about what to do in reaction to Friday versus Mayor Bloomberg, a man who has never seen this issue in such a personal and knowledgeable way.

dan_bgblue
12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
I read recently that all but about 200 state run mental hospitals have been closed in the last 20 years. Those facilities were where they used to lock up those we are talking about to either receive treatment, or for those beyond treatment, they just kept them there to prevent them from harming others. Now they just lock those persons up in prisons as criminally insane and let them out in 5 to 10 years or as they do in Canada in 18 months.

jazyd
12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I said on the other thread that this nation has continued to cut costs to the mental health of this country, over $1 billion has been cut at state and federal levels...most states must balance their budgets...but yet the federal government especially under democrats want to continue to spend more and more on medicaid, foodstampas and freebies to illegals. The Obama administration thru Obamacare wants the state of Miss to have 1/3 of the population on medicaid, think of that for a moment, 1/3 of the population, nearly a million people, on medicaid. We continue to spend money on those who refuse to work or do anything other than take handouts...I am not talking the true needy....but we cut expenditures to those who need it like these mentally ill that end up killing so many. But those same democrats want to outlaw guns, it is the gun that is the problem. They have no problem with gangs and thugs killing hundreds in chicago, nor taking any of their weapons from them, but let a mentally unstable person kill in a random shooting spree and omg we have to outlaw guns.

I feel for this mom, what she has to put up with on a daily basis and her othe two children, plus it sounded like there is no father to help out, none was mentioned in that article. At least she recognizes the problem with her son, Lanza's mom evidently didn't nor cared.

I am mad at Lanzas mom for having that much weaponry in a house with a menatally unstable person, but I am equally mad at out government and democrats for using this tragedy to try to further their agenda.

Doc
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM
The article actually makes me thankful that I have two healthy normal children. In fact I actually have great kids. Seems I haven't told them that lately but there is a good chance I will tonight.

jazyd
12-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Amen doc

UOTE=Doc;38855]The article actually makes me thankful that I have two healthy normal children. In fact I actually have great kids. Seems I haven't told them that lately but there is a good chance I will tonight.[/QUOTE]

uklandrn
12-20-2012, 06:17 AM
I read this article and posted it on my facebook page. I only received 4 responses. I keep thinking "There but for the grace of God go I". We do not realize how truly blessed we are until we read something like this. I told my husband when talking about this family - the best thing that could happen would be for that boy to die in his sleep. There is no where for this mother to take him for help - except for calling the police. He is 13. He isn't a criminal yet - but chances are he will be. I do not think I could sleep in a house where my child had threatened not only my life but the life of my other children. I would be a nervous wreck. God help this country if we cannot find a way to improve the state of mental health care.