PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Game

jeffob
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Few thoughts...
When the former players visited practice, were they told to keep what they saw to themselves?.....

Both Larry Warford and Matt Smith are likely NFL players... How could our o-line be that bad?....

We lost to Louisville last year driving for the tying score.. With the worst offense in 20 years... Why are
ther perceived to be so much better?

What is the recipe for an upset.. Work hard with losts of reps on your basic offense.. Or whip up some
surprises (Ala Wildcat) ?

Jeffob

Catfan73
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Louisville should only be favored by about 5 1/2 points, and that is based on where the teams ended up last year and the fact that the game is in Louisville. I think we actually had much more room for improvement however. I'm also pretty sure that UL still has depth problems, and hopefully our staff has some surprises up their sleeves (Whitlow in the spread?) and we can keep our offense on the field long enough to take a toll on their defensive starters.

In last year's game we had 12 possessions, and averaged 6.25 plays on those possessions with 27.75 yards per drive. UL's numbers are remarkably similar, with 11 possessions (not counting the play that ended the first half and the two at the end of the game), 5.45 plays per possessions, and 28.55 yards per drive. Anyone thinking UL should be favored by 14 points should look at these numbers. The main difference in the game, other than the fact we couldn't run the ball with the state of our O-line, was the fact that UL started their drives on their 39 yard line on average; while we started our on our own 23.

I think the current point spread is more a product of the UL fanbase's everlasting delusion about how good their their team really is, and the UK fanbase's everlasting pessimism about the upcoming season. And anytime the UL faithful think their team can beat UK, they run out and bet on it no matter what the spread is. It could be 3 touchdowns and still only 5% of them would take the points.

Darrell KSR
08-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I like Charlie Strong as a coach (liked him earlier for Kentucky, but nobody listened), but I don't see the groundswell of support for UofL being a good team. An average team with a good record in the Big East, sure. But very bottom of the SEC, I believe.

We may be at the very bottom of the SEC ourselves, of course. If we lose this game, it will be a long season for us, and end still end very early.

I am optimistic. Let me put it this way--I think I have my "Stupid Underdog Pick" already. As Joker Phillips might say, "My SUP is on campus."

Catfan73
08-24-2012, 01:43 PM
If someone had told me that we would only rush for 35 net yards in last year's game, I would have said we'd get beaten by 3 touchdowns. We didn't though. We were driving for the tying score with a 1st and 10 on the UL 22 with 3 minutes on the clock. How that translates into a UL blowout this year is apparently beyond my powers of comprehension, because I don't get it either.

UL's going to get it soon though. :D

Lfbj00
08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Man I cannot believe we have to wait another week!!!

Catfan73
08-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Darrell, I think Charlies teams are very good at defending the run. I'm not too sure about anything else, but his defenses usually are pretty stout in that department.

bluesuedeshoes
08-24-2012, 06:07 PM
They will have to be good enough to slow down about 3 or 4 running backs this year! :p

truecatsfan
08-24-2012, 06:16 PM
This game will be won in the trenches.

dan_bgblue
08-24-2012, 09:54 PM
This game will be won in the trenches.

It is very likely you are right, as most games are won there, but my hope is that this one will not be in the sense that that phrase implies. If it is and UK wins I will be just as happy.

Badinage
08-25-2012, 06:32 AM
ESPN commentators dubbed Strong yesterday as the next big thing of coaching, a hot item for the next opening. They also saw UL's Bridgewater as the player to watch in the Big East, saying UL will be in the hunt for the BE title. UL is getting a lot of hype. UK gets no football hype. The pressure is on UL.

As to last year's game, UL missed clear opportunities to score, including an awful miss by a WR on the goal line. UK was not the only team to miss opportunities. We will see two better teams, I believe, next Sunday.