PDA

View Full Version : Gunman killed in Birmingham hospital

Darrell KSR
12-15-2012, 09:20 AM
This morning around 4 a.m.

Same hospital where my youngest son and daughter were born, St. Vincent.

Gunman shot two St. Vincent's employees and a police officer on the 5th floor, none life threatening, before a Birmingham police officer ended the threat permanently.

http://t.co/Y2GZEc0y

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

CitizenBBN
12-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I really wish these lunatics would start their killing sprees with themselves.

Darrell KSR
12-15-2012, 10:48 PM
He was a 38-year old man whose wife was in the cardiac unit located on the 5th floor. He was unhappy with her medical treatment. He was kicked out of the hospital at 8 p.m. last night, and returned at 4 a.m., telling people he was "ready to meet his maker." Took a security guard hostage, but the guard got loose.

He got into a shootout with two Birmingham policemen, who shot and killed him. He hit one of the policemen, and shot two other St. Vincent's employees, neither life-threatening.

suncat05
12-16-2012, 08:16 AM
He was a 38-year old man whose wife was in the cardiac unit located on the 5th floor. He was unhappy with her medical treatment. He was kicked out of the hospital at 8 p.m. last night, and returned at 4 a.m., telling people he was "ready to meet his maker." Took a security guard hostage, but the guard got loose.

He got into a shootout with two Birmingham policemen, who shot and killed him. He hit one of the policemen, and shot two other St. Vincent's employees, neither life-threatening.

Here we go again: yet another incorrectly based argument that the gun control crowd will try to make points with.........

truecatsfan
12-16-2012, 08:31 AM
I just wonder how many of these fools are on durgs.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I just wonder how many of these fools are on durgs.

A lot. Ironically those who need to be on drugs aren't on them.

We have a lot of troubled people in this country, and we're worried about everything but how to treat those troubled people.

The numbers on depression and every related negative disorder are climbing fast and we're surprised we see these things. They estimate borderline personality disorder may affect as many as 2% of the population and that's just one disorder. Fortunately the vast majority aren't a threat to others, but enough are that we see far too many of these incidents.

Fortunately there are police at hospitals routinely. Unfortunately they can't be everywhere all the time, which means we have to plan on defending ourselves from these people in most cases.

Darrell, I have to ask. Do you know if this hospital is a "gun free zone" or are people/employees allowed to carry in it?

Darrell KSR
12-16-2012, 05:30 PM
No idea, CBBN.

I know there are no metal detectors at that one, at least until today. I am only aware of one hospital locally that had a sign prohibiting guns, with a metal detector as you enter. I have been to seven different ones here, and don't remember any prohibitions except at one, but that doesn't mean anything.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks D. Just curious.

Finally got a stat I wanted today. Every shooting of more than 3 people in modern times except one has been in a "gun free zone".

uklandrn
12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I truly worry this will happen to me one day. Just the nature of the world and my job. When newborns are involved people get nuts - and when the people are not stable to begin with - there is no where to go but down. I have told Alec and my husband Doug to just kind of prepare themselves if they ever get the phone call saying I've been shot, killed, or taken hostage while at work. Most people probably think this is overdramatic - but after being threatened as many times as I have - and the way things are going in the world today - I do not.

Darrell KSR
12-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I worry about my daughter, too, Niki. You'd be pleased that she is in your line of work, 18 months now as a NICU nurse at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville. December 1 she got her dream assignment and transferred to the pediatric oncology/hematology division, although she can't leave NICU, and will continue to work two shifts a month to take care of those little babies. As you know, some of those high risk infants came from those high risk births you help deliver, and (some) of the parents are not the most stable.

I worry every day. I look for her tweets on twitter, her blog, her emails, her text and phone calls daily. I sound fanatical about it, and I'm not, really, but I stay concerned.

jazyd
12-20-2012, 11:46 PM
One of, and I think the first, shootings in a school was Pearl HS 5 min from my house. The shoo ter killed his mom first at home by beating her w ith a bat and. Stabbing her.....I know we should ban bats and knives...then went to school and killed 3 and wounded 7 and left to go to the middle sch to kill more. But a teacher was outside and went to his truck where he had his hunting rifle and stopped Luke until the police arrived. How many lives where saved b excuse a teacher had a gun handy

Thanks D. Just curious.

Finally got a stat I wanted today. Every shooting of more than 3 people in modern times except one has been in a "gun free zone".

Darrell KSR
12-20-2012, 11:47 PM
.....I know we should ban bats

St. Louis Cardinals got a head start in the NLCS... :(