PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian spree killer sentenced to 21 years

SalsaKat
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/world/europe/norway-breivik-trial/index.html

Wow, I... I... I don't even. I mean, I'm very much against the death penalty and I realize we are overly penal in this country but what am I missing here? Like, this person, who willingly and wittingly killed 77 people in one go, most of them teenagers, will be back on the street someday. Is there an exploding head smiley?

And yes, I know that what he was given is the maximum sentence in Norway but maybe they'll rethink that now? Probably not.

Darrell KSR
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Have no idea if this is used with regularity, but it might help your concerns, from the article:

The sentence could be extended, potentially indefinitely, in the future if he is considered still to pose a threat to society.

I said "might." I don't know if they do that or not. For those against capital punishment, at least this might--might--equate to life in prison in the right circumstances.

SalsaKat
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
^^Saw that, I'm skeptical. But yes, it could be the case.

I don't feel like he needs to be in prison as "punishment" because that doesn't really get you anywhere as a society or as "rehabilitation" because that's probably out of the question with this nutter, but rather to keep all Norwegians safe in the future. Sorry, but you just can't trust a person like this with freedom.

Darrell KSR
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Well, he's the ideal candidate for that extension--as long as Norway agrees with you. I would, certainly. But I'm not Norway.

CitizenBBN
08-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I see the point though, at what point does "throw away the key" enter into the Norwegian criminal system? Even though he may never get out, I'd think this is one where there doesn't even need to be a debate, and it's hard to imagine a justice system that doesn't have some kind of life without possibility of parole for a crime like this one.
Maybe that's why the US has such high incarceration rates. We'll give you 20 years for wearing stripes with plaids.

SalsaKat
08-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe that's why the US has such high incarceration rates. We'll give you 20 years for wearing stripes with plaids.

That explains why they haven't done an American adaptation of Doctor Who.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/SalsaKat/f2a96efa370bf2a46961bd47d98ea3bb.jpg