PDA

View Full Version : Shooting inside Birmingham Federal Courthouse

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
About 20 minutes ago a man shot himself in the head at the first floor clerk's office.

No idea how he got a gun in. There is strict security, metal detector at the federal courthouse building as you go in.

FBI, B'ham police on scene. Hasn't hit TV yet, but B'ham News twitter reporters are there, with pics and "tweets."

CitizenBBN
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I assume you have to go through security to even get to that part of the building. Good question, I'd like to know that too.

Dramatic way to go but sounds like he didn't harm anyone else, other than someone having to watch that scene. Suicide is selfish enough, doing it in public you're just being overly dramatic.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Guy I work with was there; saw them carry the guy out on a stretcher. Didn't know if he was alive or not. "Somebody" said the guy was an employee--maybe one of the guards? Would explain how the gun got in.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Bomb-sniffing dogs called out as a precaution. Doesn't seem to have any tie to the incident. Sort of like checking your tires if your battery is being replaced. I guess you can do it, but why today as opposed to any other day?

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 10:36 AM
U.S. Marshalls confirm he was a federal employee.

suncat05
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
All U. S. Marshal's carry guns. Regular Marshal's and contract Marshal's too. Especially inside a Federal Courthouse. Would love to know the story on this one.
I wonder if this particular Courthouse has a separate employee entrance that the public does not have access to?
I have been to several Federal Courthouses here in Florida, and trust me, the U.S. Marshal's do it right as far as security is concerned. If you get anything that is even remotely dangerous into a U.S. Marshal's protected Federal Courthouse you have done something.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
"Regular" employees did not have to pass through security.

I suspect that policy will change, effective tomorrow.

40-year-old David Lee Williams, the director of building services for the federal courthouse, walked into the office of U.S. Clerk of Court Sharon Harris and shot himself in the forehead

By the way, not to make light of a tragedy, but as a 52-year old white male, I am troubled by the description of the shooter as an "older white male."

40 years old.

Sigh.

MickintheHam
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM

40-year-old David Lee Williams, the director of building services for the federal courthouse, walked into the office of U.S. Clerk of Court Sharon Harris and shot himself in the forehead

By the way, not to make light of a tragedy, but as a 52-year old white male, I am troubled by the description of the shooter as an "older white male."

40 years old.

Sigh.

Agreed. You should be at least 45 to be classified as older. :indifferent0020:

CitizenBBN
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM

40 years old.

Sigh.

I said I was glad he only shot himself. Now I wish he shot the guy who described him as "older" while he was at it.

Seems like kind of a big hole in security for a federal building. Without checks you not only have this sort of thing but also someone who really wants to kill a judge in his courtroom having an area of lax security to target.

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I've dealt with the U.S. Marshalls here, and they are outstanding. Smart, well-trained, etc. But they can only do what they are allowed to do. Some pointy-headed pencil pusher probably decided it was too inconvenient for "regular" Joes to have to go through a metal detector each morning, so they got their own dispensation with the rules.

I'm sure you have to pass all kind of security clearances and background checks to be hired there, but it boggles my mind that somebody could be a filing clerk and bring a gun into a federal courthouse building.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I've dealt with the U.S. Marshalls here, and they are outstanding. Smart, well-trained, etc. But they can only do what they are allowed to do. Some pointy-headed pencil pusher probably decided it was too inconvenient for "regular" Joes to have to go through a metal detector each morning, so they got their own dispensation with the rules.

I'm sure you have to pass all kind of security clearances and background checks to be hired there, but it boggles my mind that somebody could be a filing clerk and bring a gun into a federal courthouse building.

Like you I have complete faith in the Marshall Service, and none in bureaucratic or political decision making. I'll bet good money the Marshalls have in one form or another asked to check all employees and been denied. They wouldn't be OK with such a hole in procedure.

I'm sure they have checks in place but anyone can snap and if they're being lax on checking for guns etc. it makes it all the easier to walk through with a fake ID b/c laxness breeds more laxness. I have zero doubt the Marshalls know all that better than I.

uklandrn
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
40 is not an Older Man. Until I turn 80 I am considering myself middle aged. At 80 I will be a well - seasoned citizen!

Darrell KSR
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Niki. Some of us "40++" year olds appreciate that.

uklandrn
12-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Darrell - I am over 40 myself - so if they are old then I would have to be also. Not gonna happen.