PDA

View Full Version : Oledon's Memorial Service (pic and card included)

Darrell KSR
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Our beloved friend, Don Lewis, aka "Oledon," was honored in memory Sunday afternoon in Elizabethtown. Although I was unable to attend, his ex-wife, who was terrific to him, and to Don's friends, in his final days, relayed to me that the service was well-attended by family and close friends. There were many more of us who attended it in spirit.

Lyn also shared with me one of the cards from the service, and I thought you may enjoy seeing Don as a young man. Chuck and I were fortunate enough to spend some time with Don at the hospital, meet Lyn, and go through some scrapbooks she had assembled chronicling Don's life. It reminds me how truly special life is, and makes me appreciate everyone here even more, thinking of the lives you all touch with your sharing of your precious time with us all.

Donald Ray Lewis. Rest in peace, Oledon. We miss you greatly.

dan_bgblue
11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks Darrell

bigsky
11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
We are past the point where this community is confronted with the loss of our friends and neighbors. Nice to see oledon remembered on the board, full name, accomplishments, very traditional and respectful.

Philly Cat
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Great to see "youngdon." Thanks, Darrell.

MickintheHam
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Darrell, thanks to you and Lyn for updating us. I wish so much that I could have attended. Don ran counter to the "blue hair" stereotype of older UK fans. We endured rain and cold weather at the games. I never one time heard Don complain. And when my kids decided we would all stand throughout the football game, he and abud stood there with us for 3 and 1/2 hours. I know it was difficult for both of them to do that, but I used it as a measure of their friendship to my kids. Oledon was a great, great fan. My life was enriched by his friendship. But for this message board community, I wouldn't have known him. I know we have a lot of Dons out there.

UKHistory
11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Don was a great fan. He is missed. Being a UK fan is as much about the connection we have with one another as it is our love for UK and our love for of the Bluegrass.

We will say a prayer for his loved ones and friends--including those here.

Darrell KSR
12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Thought uklandrn might like to see "YoungDon" as well.

uklandrn
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Darrell. I really appreciate you posting this. Like I said before - he was a wonderful guy.

Rainman
12-16-2012, 11:03 AM
We all loved oledon. He was a true gentleman and a great UK fan. He will be sorely missed