PDA

View Full Version : Now the fun begins

Doc
01-28-2018, 03:41 PM
We have been wanting to purchase a second home in Colorado for some time and were out there last week...came up empty on built homes but found several lots that were ideal for building so we put in an offer yesterday, they countered today and we took it. So looks like I'm going to be the owner of a little over an acre of hill top real estate just outside of Breckenridge CO that we are going to build a second/retirement home on. Anybody ever built a home from scratch, from 2,054 miles away? Looks like I'm going to give it a whirl... Any advice? We don't have water or sewage so will be on a well as septic...but that's what I have in FL. Of course its a different animal at 11,000 feet up in the Rockies, but we do have electricity and phone service. Plus its in a development per se. Numerous houses around, all with acre lots. INCREDIBLE VIEWS.

http://www.homesincolorado.com/img/mls/MLSPhotos/COLLND/6653250_4.jpg?mw=1000&mh=1000

http://www.homesincolorado.com/img/mls/MLSPhotos/COLLND/6653250_10.jpg?mw=1000&mh=1000

http://www.homesincolorado.com/img/mls/MLSPhotos/COLLND/6653250_13.jpg?mw=1000&mh=1000

Darrell KSR
01-28-2018, 04:10 PM
That. Is. Spectacular.

BigBluePappy
01-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Absolutely. Gorgeous.

UKFlounder
01-28-2018, 04:48 PM
No advice, but in that type of country, it has to be a log cabin diesn’t It?

MickintheHam
01-28-2018, 08:51 PM
I would hire a project manager to oversee the General contractor or builder. Alternatively, hire the architect to do it. Don’t attempt it by yourself.

CitizenBBN
01-28-2018, 09:33 PM
A real man would just go up there with a bowie knife and a pack of matches and live it up. Your first wife might not care for that though.

Doc
01-28-2018, 10:46 PM
No advice, but in that type of country, it has to be a log cabin diesn’t It?

Absolutely. Thinking 3 bed, 2 bath. Will rent out when not there

Doc
01-28-2018, 10:48 PM
I would hire a project manager to oversee the General contractor or builder. Alternatively, hire the architect to do it. Don’t attempt it by yourself.

I'd not considered that. But what is the advantage of having that and working with a project manager rather than directly with the contractor? Isn't the contractor basically a project manager?

MickintheHam
01-29-2018, 07:49 AM
I'd not considered that. But what is the advantage of having that and working with a project manager rather than directly with the contractor? Isn't the contractor basically a project manager?
Sometimes! But you want someone to visit the site regularly to do what you would do if you were there. Frequent inspections. Makes minor decisions. He can take pictures and videos of all the work as it progresses and send them to you. Makes sure there are minimal cost overruns. Inspects materials. Reviews change orders.

You are the visiting team in a hostile gym.

Doc
01-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Sometimes! But you want someone to visit the site regularly to do what you would do if you were there. Frequent inspections. Makes minor decisions. He can take pictures and videos of all the work as it progresses and send them to you. Makes sure there are minimal cost overruns. Inspects materials. Reviews change orders.

You are the visiting team in a hostile gym.

Makes sense...sort of an impartial person to keep an eye on the contractor. HOWEVER that keeps ME from going out there and checking myself. I was willing to make that sacrifice! But maybe a project manager isn't a bad idea. What are you doing the next few months?

Darrell KSR
01-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Hey, you may need to meet with the project manager from time to time, too.

Never done that, but Mick's suggestion sounds like a terrific idea. Almost your advocate on the ground. Don't know what that adds to the cost, but my guess is that the project manager can save their cost in construction costs, making sure you get what you want, etc.

MickintheHam
01-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Im not that guy, but if you hire female let me know I could check on her.

We had to take this approach in China manufacturing. Your biggest risk in thr project is the GC could take advantage of your situation. You need an advocate on site. In the Vai, Breckinridge, Beaver Creek area you should be able to hire a retired engineer who would be willing to take it on.

kingcat
01-29-2018, 12:06 PM
You can certainly save a lot of money by overseeing it yourself.

Id first contact the local building supply or lumber company if I were you and operate from a template. Not so much a Lowes or the like,, but a family owned company preferably.
They should have a project manager in house.

And they will be on top of things and make sure they expedite moving their product and keep you satisfied as well. Basically, serving as your built in project manager.

Doc
04-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Phase two today...we just took a counter offer on a new house in FL. Will now put our house on the marked and should clear up some funds with the downsizing to start on the house in CO. If course that is dependant on phase 3, seeling our current home for what its worth

VirginiaCat
04-09-2018, 02:17 PM
No advice on building but can you really go wrong with those views?!?!

Oh, and I love Breckinridge Brewery...

KentuckyWildcat
04-10-2018, 02:22 PM
Awesome Doc (somehow just seeing this thread)