PDA

View Full Version : What's you winter soup go to?

CGWildcat
12-29-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup in the crock pot. Dump a bunch of stuff in, walk away. A few hours later, deliciousness abounds. Love it.

dan_bgblue
12-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Chili and Chicken noodle are my go to soups

KentuckyWildcat
12-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Really miss chili, developed a tomato allergy in 2010. I'll sneak a few bites when the wife is not looking. White chili is good, just not the same. But she will occasionally make this one soup, that is along the lines of white chili that is pretty good. Spicy, but not the peppery flavor of chili.

For convenience now, I'll just heat up some cream of chicken on those cold days.

We had cheeseburger soup at work the other day. I had never had that and was really hoping I would like it. But to me it was bland.

Darrell KSR
12-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Had chili Wednesday night, chicken taco soup (probably similar to your tortilla soup) last night.

suncat05
12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Chili, pasta fagioli, chicken noodle soup.

BigBluePappy
12-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Oh, your pasta fagioli is one awesome recipe...

Catonahottinroof
12-29-2017, 09:08 PM
We do the very same...very simple to concoct...

I'm making Chicken Tortilla soup in the crock pot. Dump a bunch of stuff in, walk away. A few hours later, deliciousness abounds. Love it.

Catfan73
12-30-2017, 07:27 AM
I like Bearcreek brand’s cheddar potato. Just add some freshly ground black pepper and maybe crumble in a little bacon. And some hearty bread.

MickintheHam
12-30-2017, 08:08 AM
According to my daughter, I make the world’s best Chili, but I don’t put chili in the soup category. My go to soup is Italian lentil soup.

Krank
12-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Really miss chili, developed a tomato allergy in 2010. I'll sneak a few bites when the wife is not looking. White chili is good, just not the same. But she will occasionally make this one soup, that is along the lines of white chili that is pretty good. Spicy, but not the peppery flavor of chili.

For convenience now, I'll just heat up some cream of chicken on those cold days.

We had cheeseburger soup at work the other day. I had never had that and was really hoping I would like it. But to me it was bland.

FWIW, the best chili I have ever eaten was NOT tomato-based and it was not White. It was a chili that I concocted out of a few recipes I found and then adapted due to lack of ingredients deemed "necessary".

Ever heard of Green Chili?

That's how they do it in the Southwest. Also very popular in Colorado.

Traditionally, most Green Chili recipes have a base of Hatch Peppers. You roast them, puree them with other ingredients, etc. Also, no ground meat (even Texas Chili is not supposed to have ground, rather chunks of beef), but in this case chunks of pork (most call for pork shoulder, but I made mine with pork loin that I trimmed), dredged in flour and seared before slow cooking in the green base.

In my case, not having Hatch Peppers, I improvised by using a LOT of Tomatillos, roasted them along with some Poblano and Anaheim Peppers, used a fair amount of canned Green Chiles, blended it all up, and combined with some typical chili spices like Cumin, etc. I just kept adapting it as it slow cooked, with salt, and other spices. I also used a LOT of Serrano and Jalapeño Peppers, ground into a paste and folded into the chili to give it a ton of heat.

Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedges, melted quesadilla style cheese, and blue tortilla chips as "spoons"/dipping implements.

Krank
12-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Otherwise, my go to soups beyond a range of chili styles I like to try, would be Cuban Black Bean Soup, Navy Bean Soup, and Split Pea with Ham.

KentuckyWildcat
12-30-2017, 10:58 AM
FWIW, the best chili I have ever eaten was NOT tomato-based and it was not White. It was a chili that I concocted out of a few recipes I found and then adapted due to lack of ingredients deemed "necessary".

Ever heard of Green Chili?

I have not, but will certainly look into it! Sounds spicy which is fine with me :)

suncat05
12-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Oh, your pasta fagioli is one awesome recipe...

Thank you, but I cannot take the credit for it. It was my Sicilian Grandmother's recipe. And it's not Sicilian in origin, it has Tuscan roots.
But it is pretty darn good soup. ☺

CitizenBBN
12-30-2017, 04:11 PM
You may also try some texas chili recipes, I've had a few that have no tomatoes in them. Very beef based, basically beef broth replaces the liquid from the tomatoes. Some have beans, some don't (and some people get shot over the debate), but no tomatoes.

If we count Chili then yes that's my go to. I don't think of it as a soup, but I prefer it over about any soup. I make a pretty good chili.

FOr soup I just buy commercial soups. I like New England clam chowder (I do add a little butter, paprika, etc if available to flavor it up), or Campbells' vegetable beef. I had that as a kid, always hits home when I'm sick, which is about when I have soup.

blueboss
01-02-2018, 09:18 PM
French onion has always been a favorite, but I can never pass up a good bisque. Lobster, shrimp, crab, craw fish etc.

I've never really considered chili a soup, but I do like me some chili, both red and white, never tried green.

Damn!! Now I'm hungry!

KSRBEvans
01-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Beef Merlot (an easier version of Beef Bourginon, basically a beef stew with red wine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7wBsbEh7M

Darrell KSR
01-03-2018, 09:12 AM
I watched the whole video. It looks great, but around my house, I'm not sure we can even give it that much attention, even as easy as it is. We are more of the "throw things in the Crock-Pot" type variety.

KentuckyWildcat
01-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Curious as to what you guys consider chili if not a soup?

Darrell KSR
01-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Legume.

KentuckyWildcat
01-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Seems some call it a soup, some a stew, and some say it is just chili. Per Google...

KSRBEvans
01-03-2018, 10:27 AM
^Yeah, I always think of chili as its own category, for some reason. Like hot dogs--sandwich or no? I usually just think it's a hot dog.

KSRBEvans
01-03-2018, 10:30 AM
BTW, tonight is Chicken Enchilada Soup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zKvD5WpVc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup/

Doing it in my Instant Pot, an electric pressure cooker. I used it a few times last year and like it but got away from it for some. Going to use it a lot more this month.

Catfan73
01-03-2018, 11:10 AM
My favorite Mexican restaurant serves two chili’s, rojas and verde. The verde is my favorite. They’re not soup or stew, just strips of beef (probably flank) in a sauce, served with soft flour tortillas.

CitizenBBN
01-03-2018, 02:16 PM
^Yeah, I always think of chili as its own category, for some reason. Like hot dogs--sandwich or no? I usually just think it's a hot dog.

Yep. Chili is like barbecue, it's it's own food group. :)

KeithKSR
01-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Our go to soups are homemade vegetable soup and chili. My oldest daughter has the flu, so my wife fixed up a care package of her homemade vegetable soup. The son-in-law just left with it.

Doc
01-04-2018, 07:47 AM
My winter soup is Bourbon...same as my summer soup

suncat05
01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
My winter soup is Bourbon...same as my summer soup

Doc, I like your style!

blueboss
01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

For me chili is too hearty to be a precursor to a meal.

Like first an appetizer followed by a soup, then the salad, and then the entree. I would consider chili to be more of an entree type thing... especially the way I eat chili with the cheese diced onions, and of course spaghetti pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suncat05
01-04-2018, 01:33 PM
For me chili is too hearty to be a precursor to a meal.

Like first an appetizer followed by a soup, then the salad, and then the entree. I would consider chili to be more of an entree type thing... especially the way I eat chili with the cheese diced onions, and of course spaghetti pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueboss, I like how you roll! I like my chili like that too.
There are so many different variations of how to consume chili, and most of them are good.

Catfan73
01-04-2018, 02:23 PM
No onions, just some minced garlic. Onions are for bean soup, or "soup beans" as they call it in East KY. And no pasta!

CitizenBBN
01-04-2018, 07:42 PM
I grew up with chili having spaghetti, but now I can't stand it. No pasta at all in it. I can go without beans, without tomatoes, but can't do spaghetti any more on chili.

Just about cut out pasta completely, even though I like it, but don't like it on chili no matter what.

Now I can eat a sleeve of crackers with a bowl of it...

CGWildcat
01-04-2018, 08:59 PM
I've never liked chili with spaghetti. No way no how. However, like Citizen, gimme some crackers with it. Speaking of...who eats their spaghetti with crackers and not bread?

During the holidays we went to a friends home for dinner. They made Tortellini soup. It was fantasmic!!! Never really had it before, but WOW!

KSRBEvans
01-05-2018, 12:47 PM
This coming week I'm making my new favorite go-to recipe, Beef, Bean & Beer chili (http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2015/06/beef-bean-and-beer-chili-what-great-way.html), plus a new Instant Pot recipe, Green Chili with Chicken (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html). (In the mood for some spicy food, as you can tell.)

CitizenBBN
01-05-2018, 08:37 PM
This coming week I'm making my new favorite go-to recipe, Beef, Bean & Beer chili (http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2015/06/beef-bean-and-beer-chili-what-great-way.html), plus a new Instant Pot recipe, Green Chili with Chicken (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html). (In the mood for some spicy food, as you can tell.)

I use beer in my chili. I make a pretty good chili. Depending on my mood I'll use porters or pilsners.

Darrell KSR
01-05-2018, 09:17 PM
I use beer in my chili. I make a pretty good chili. Depending on my mood I'll use porters or pilsners.... Said the guy who uses beer on his cornflakes.

CitizenBBN
01-05-2018, 09:20 PM
... Said the guy who uses beer on his cornflakes.

Unless I get the frosted ones, which are better with tequlia and Cointreau.

The trouble with booze in cooking is it burns off the alcohol. I do my best to put it back in through supplements, during both the cooking and eating.

TRUCKERCATFAN
01-13-2018, 01:16 AM
I’m just a plain old country boy so give some old fashioned vegetable beef soup. My father-in-law raises veggies for a living and cans what he doesn’t sell to keep it from ruining so I have unfettered access to canned tomatoes and juice along with green beans, potatoes and several varieties of peppers.

KSRBEvans
01-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Love vegetable beef soup with canned garden veggies. It's like a bowl of summer. My mamaw used to make that all the time.

Darrell KSR
01-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Had chicken tortilla soup tonight, but it was at chick Salad Chick restaurant. It was still very good, and hit the spot.

kingcat
01-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Donna makes historically great chili. She made it yesterday!

https://www.lavenderandmacarons.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/the-best-chili-recipe-745x450-min2.jpg

suncat05
01-14-2018, 01:48 PM
I grew up with chili having spaghetti, but now I can't stand it. No pasta at all in it. I can go without beans, without tomatoes, but can't do spaghetti any more on chili.

Just about cut out pasta completely, even though I like it, but don't like it on chili no matter what.

Now I can eat a sleeve of crackers with a bowl of it...

I like it with rice, too. And sometimes potatoes. Yes, I said potatoes. Cut very small, bite size. But Mom almost always had spaghetti with it. Or elbows, or shell pasta. I never thought much about it, that's how she put it on the table, so that's how I hate it.
I never saw chili with rice in it until I was in the Army. Basic Training at Ft. McClellan, AL. And everywhere else I was stationed too. Must be an Army thing.
Adding the potatoes was a wild idea I had when I lived in Tallahassee. It's actually pretty good too, if you let it summer long enough for the potatoes to kind of cool down and actually thickens the chili a little bit. And now that I'm thinking about it, I guess you could get the same effect of you added a couple spoonfuls of instant mashed potatoes too.
Cooking is actually the original chemistry. Add a little bit of this and that and let's see what we end up with.

Krank
01-14-2018, 03:51 PM
I never saw chili with rice in it until I was in the Army. Basic Training at Ft. McClellan, AL. And everywhere else I was stationed too. Must be an Army thing.

Even though I am not TOO into having rice in chili, I have occasionally seen it served as a part of a fast food cajun menu (outside of Louisiana). Not my thing, typically, but it's not as if it changes the taste of the chili. Same goes for pasta.

Interesting what you state about the Army though. I wonder if their reasoning was that pairing rice with beans (assuming the Army served theirs with beans since it's so common outside of Texas and the Southwest) is a very healthy one-two punch, as well as being inexpensive, thus easily used in mass quantities.

What do you think?

Darrell KSR
01-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Never ate rice with chili until marriage. Wife from New Orleans, you eat rice with chili, red beans and rice, etc. Makes chili heartier and adds a little texture I like. Not explaining it well, but big fan of it.

Krank
01-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Never ate rice with chili until marriage. Wife from New Orleans, you eat rice with chili, red beans and rice, etc. Makes chili heartier and adds a little texture I like. Not explaining it well, but big fan of it.

I love red beans and rice. Black beans and rice too. Have made both homemade before, but when I make chili, I find rice or pasta superfluous, but then my chili is not "made for" it. Others maybe more so. Like I said, neither pasta nor rice takes away from the flavor of the chili.

My personal preference is to eat a big bowl with too much cheese (any good mexican cheese or mild white meltable cheese, even provolone), and some good tortilla chips.

I barely use a spoon.

CitizenBBN
01-14-2018, 05:17 PM

I like red beans and rice, but chili over rice is just funky red beans and rice to me. lol.

I like about everything cajun and creole, and much of it is over rice, but I think I'll keep my chili the way it is. If for no other reason than I spend most of my spare time trying to find ways to avoid carbs, not add them in. lol