PDA

View Full Version : What did you call your grandparents?

KSRBEvans
12-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I was reading this Appalachian Magazine article about the origins of the words "Mamaw" and "Papaw" (http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/11/30/mountain-lingo-where-did-ma-maw-and-pa-paw-come-from/) (which apparently are nearly exclusively Appalachian terms) and thought I'd throw the question open to the group.

My father's parents we called "Nanny" and "Poppy." My maternal grandmother we called "Mamaw"--my maternal grandfather died when my mother was only 7, so we didn't know him but generally called him "Grandpa O'Brien" when we referred to him.

Even though my parents were from Appalachia (Mingo County, WV), they chose "Grandma" and Grandpa," I think to keep "Mamaw" for my mother's mother. My in-laws, who were from western Kentucky and Louisiana, chose "Granny" and "Buddy" (which was my father-in-law's nickname everybody called him, anyway).

Catfan73
12-06-2017, 11:13 AM
I didn't know my paternal grandfather and my Mom's dad passed away when I was 2 or 3. They called him Popeye but that was what everyone called him. We called both our grandmothers "Mama", Mama Katherine and Mama Barber (her last name). I guess she demanded more decorum or something lol. I think the mama stemmed from the fact my dad and his siblings all calling their parents Mama and Papa. This was in Morgan County in east-central KY.

BigBluePappy
12-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I am Pappy and Peg is Grammy to our grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
My Maternal grandparents were Grandaddy and Grandmother, my paternal grandparents were Mamaw and Papaw.

As a neat little aside, when my siblings had grandchildren (I was the baby of the family by some 29 years) it was explained that my father and mother were their grandparents too so they were Mamaw2 and Papaw2.

dan_bgblue
12-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Grandpa and Grandma on both sides of the family. My mom was a yankee

kingcat
12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Mamaw and Papaw both sides. I am PawPaw and Donna is Nana.
My Great Grandmother on my Moms side was “Mom” to all of us and Great Grandfather was Pap

badrose
12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Pa & Granny Rose and Mammy on my mom's side.

Darrell KSR
12-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Grandmom and Jack. My grandfathers both passed before I could remember, even though one died during my lifetime. Jack was my step-grandfather. Really good guy.

KSRBEvans
12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
I didn't know my paternal grandfather and my Mom's dad passed away when I was 2 or 3. They called him Popeye but that was what everyone called him. We called both our grandmothers "Mama", Mama Katherine and Mama Barber (her last name). I guess she demanded more decorum or something lol. I think the mama stemmed from the fact my dad and his siblings all calling their parents Mama and Papa. This was in Morgan County in east-central KY.

Mrs. BEvans, who grew up in western Kentucky, called her maternal grandmother "Mama Bea," and her paternal grandmother "Mama Nette."

KentuckyWildcat
12-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Muhleberg County here and said Mamaw and Papaw.

My little girl says Nana and Paw. The in-laws are Ma and Anddad (no gr yet and may not at this point)

blueboss
12-06-2017, 06:58 PM
I'm a Papaw.

We called my mothers parents Mamaw and Pampoo.

My Dads parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My daughter and my sisters kids call my parents Nanny and Paw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Mrs. BEvans, who grew up in western Kentucky, called her maternal grandmother "Mama Bea," and her paternal grandmother "Mama Nette."

interesting.

I guess I grew up in the middle of the state b/c my maternal grandmother was Mamaw, and my paternal grandmother's name was "Eva C" and I called her Mama C. That grandfather was "Daddy Frank". Didn't know my maternal grandfather, though mom says I'm a great deal like him.

So that's one eastern, one western one?

UKFlounder
12-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Grandma and grandpa mostly. We would add a last name to differentiate them.

When I was very little I said “tata” I guess in place of papa. My maternal grandmother is named Geneva, but people call her Nevie. Apparently when I was young I could not pronounce that, so I called her Nene. Now, my nieces and nephew (her great-grandkids)call her Nene. They call my mom (their grandma) Grammy and my dad Pop, which is what I still call him

My great-grandparents were Pa Rob and Ma Ruthie, which I think everyone, children and grandchildren, called them. I think even some family called them that as he was a country preacher and they had a big family, as patriarch and matriarch, starting in the hills of Breathitt County. I wish I had known them more as they were apparently exceptional people.

Doc
12-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Dead

Darrell KSR
12-08-2017, 09:20 AM
DeadI should not have laughed.

But did.

Forgive me lol.

CitizenBBN
12-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Dead

Dauumnn. Tough room. :)

KeithKSR
12-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Grandma and Grandpa on both sides of the family, though both of my grandfathers passed away when I was very young.

AshCat
12-13-2017, 07:28 PM
My parents are Mamaw and Papaw as were my grandparents, Nanny and Papaw on my wife's side. I'm Paps and my wife is Grammi.