PDA

View Full Version : Florida names Joker as their new WR coach

ColonelSteve
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Drop city has arrived in the swamp

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/12/03/2430186/former-kentucky-coach-joker-phillips.html

BigBluePappy
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
He didn't drop too many as a player and he coached a few good ones (Stevie Johnson, Keenan Burton) so I wish him the best of luck until they meet again and then I say it is time to end another streak.

Catonahottinroof
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Good for Joker! He's still a Wildcat

SalsaKat
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
He will do well. Some people are cut out to do certain things. Joker is flat out not a good head coach but excels at WR position coaching and recruiting. Just like, say, engineers often make crummy managers if they get promoted because it's not their skill set. But he'll be fine.

ajp40505
12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I hope he does well, but he's a little long in the tooth to be the recruiter he was when he was 35 when he would think nothing of the endless hours on the back roads of the south chasing talent. It's rental cars, hotel rooms, and airport terminal waits. It's being out there alone for days at a time away from your family. Hungry young assistants climbing the ladder go at it like a pack of dogs after a fox. The hardest thing for Joker will be to find the fire to blunt the grind now that he's got a fat bank account.

Badinage
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I wonder if Timmons and Quick get a call from him.

SalsaKat
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I hope he does well, but he's a little long in the tooth to be the recruiter he was when he was 35 when he would think nothing of the endless hours on the back roads of the south chasing talent. It's rental cars, hotel rooms, and airport terminal waits. It's being out there alone for days at a time away from your family. Hungry young assistants climbing the ladder go at it like a pack of dogs after a fox. The hardest thing for Joker will be to find the fire to blunt the grind now that he's got a fat bank account.

Haha, I'm not even 35 yet and just reading that makes me feel exhausted and homesick. That is the main reason I could never, ever coach college sports. I remember when Tubby all but came out and said he hated the recruiting circuit and thinking, "I can't blame you one bit but don't you think you might be in the wrong line of work then?"

Badinage
12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Joker seems to like and care about people. One plus to the recruiting trail is making relationships. Without them, you might as well just drive and drive. I do not think he is too old to enjoy that aspect of coaching. Cal seems to be constantly on the run and he is no spring chicken.

Poetax
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I think its a twist of fate that now allows him to actually beat ul in a bowl game.