PDA

View Full Version : On this date, in 1963

Darrell KSR
09-15-2017, 12:17 PM
A "vicious and tragic" crime was "perpetrated against humanity," as Dr. Martin Luther King described it.

The 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing.

I don't work downtown anymore, and no appointments today in that direction, but if I get a chance, I'll drive over just to pass by.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJxFCa8XcAALj1i.jpg:large

BigBluePappy
09-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Truly tragic indeed...

kingcat
09-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Pure evil.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2017, 04:36 PM
As tragic as that was, and it was surely evil, losing Dr. King was worse. I think given time and years he may have been the man to close the racial divide in a constructive way that put it behind us as a nation. So many of his words are now lost and it seems to never heal.

kingcat
09-15-2017, 04:59 PM
As tragic as that was, and it was surely evil, losing Dr. King was worse. I think given time and years he may have been the man to close the racial divide in a constructive way that put it behind us as a nation. So many of his words are now lost and it seems to never heal.

Wholeheartedly agree. One of the greatest Americans to have ever lived. Not a perfect man, as no one is, but having been endowed by God with the perfect message.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Wholeheartedly agree. One of the greatest Americans to have ever lived. Not a perfect man, as no one is, but having been endowed by God with the perfect message.

I overlook Dr. King's shortcomings the same way people need to overlook them with Jefferson and Washington and Lincoln. If we wait on perfect men to lead us we're never going to get anywhere.

People have forgotten his message entirely IMO. If he were here maybe he could steer us back on course. I'd like to think he wouldn't go off the track, at least I indulge in that belief.

MickintheHam
09-15-2017, 08:20 PM
I worked for several years with a woman who was friends with the girls who were killed and who was in the church that day. It was a horrible crime. The bombing was designed to create fear. It certainly did that. In the process it moved the cause of equality into the national discussion.