PDA

View Full Version : Tires....

Darrell KSR
09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Received a low tire pressure message a couple of weeks ago. Checked all four tires -- three were perfect at 36psi, which is the recommended inside door jamb label pressure. The driver's side front tire was 22 psi.

That didn't sound good. I aired it up, and drove around a few days. My daughter told me she received a low air pressure message, and so I checked hers (that was the day I put air in 20 tires) and engaged in a process wishing I had a commercial-level air tank. I think I know what I want for Christmas.

Anyway, my pressure had dropped in a week from 36psi to 30psi in that front tire again. So there's a leak somewhere.

Should I just take it to a tire place? I always think they are trying to sell me a new tire. I am not ready to buy four new tires, and I really don't want to buy one.

Should I deflate the tire, put "slime" or something in it, reinflate it, and see if that seals the apparent leak?

What's the most reasonable thing to do? I don't think reinflating 6psi each week is the most reasonable approach without addressing the issue.

MickintheHam
09-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Stay away from slime. My uber driver and I had this discussion as we sat in the emergency lane of I-65. Prius uses the factory version of slime. This was his third flat tire in 6 weeks and twice with the same slime repaired tire. I believe the slime is hit or miss and does not fix all leaks.

Before having anyone look at the tire, go to tirerack.com to look at tires and installed prices. At least have that info in hand before discussing anything with anybody.

KentuckyWildcat
09-07-2017, 10:26 AM
If my tires are good as far as tread. I get them patched. I also know a good tire place that patches the tire from the inside and not the traditional plug. I agree, avoid the slim stuff if you can. It works and I've used it, but I try to avoid it.

Doc
09-07-2017, 10:53 AM
As other stated, don't use the "fix a flat" unless emergency roadside. Have the tire pulled, inflated and put in a water tub to see where its leaking, then get it plugged. Dont need a patch, just a plug as its a slow leak. can't plug or patch if in the sidewall, so if there you need a new tire.

Catfan73
09-07-2017, 11:00 AM
You should be able to get someone take it off and check it for free if its a shop you give business to. Sounds like it might be leaking around the valve stem.

BigBluePappy
09-07-2017, 11:44 AM
One other possibility is a defective wheel.
I have replaced three of them on the old Ranger.
The old dunk test in water is a sure way to find out...

MickintheHam
09-07-2017, 12:04 PM
i have always found tire engineers to be fair if you or looking for someone close by. otherwise you may wish to check with roger's or charlie saab downtown i trust both.

Doc
09-07-2017, 12:12 PM
When I was in Alabama, I always used Crazy Cooter's Garage

https://cootersplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/cooter-s-garage-1.jpg

MickintheHam
09-07-2017, 01:11 PM
When I was in Alabama, I always used Crazy Cooter's Garage

https://cootersplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/cooter-s-garage-1.jpg
Cooter is Darrell's tow truck driver out of Sylacauga.

KeithKSR
09-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Likely you have something in the tire, like a nail. When the nail finally exits the tire you will have a faster leak. Have it fixed.

A patch on the inside of the tire will work much better than a plug if it has a hole in it, as KW pointed out. Could just be a bad valve. After putting air in it pour water on the valve and look for bubbles.

kingcat
09-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Had a tire guy refuse to work on a tire with Fix a Flat in it. He said they have been known to explode when they break them down from the rim.

PedroDaGr8
09-08-2017, 12:16 PM
If it is not the tire itself, most likely source of the leak is the valve stem (the place where you put the air in). Spray it with some soapy water and see if you get bubble formation. If you do, take it to the tire shop and have them replace the valve, it shouldn't be too bad.

Note: You can spray the tire itself with soapy water and it will show bubbles anywhere there is a leak.

Darrell KSR
09-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Going to head out in a minute and go to....some tire shop. Somewhere.

Darrell KSR
09-08-2017, 04:08 PM
So I go to Tire Engineers. Good people there. Called before I arrived, they said they'd get me right in. I drop it off, and go walk to Wendy's for a kid's chicken wrap meal with apple bites (no, that has nothing to do with the story).

They call me and ask me if I know where my tire wheel lock key is. I tell them I don't know what a tire wheel lock key is, so evidently, I do not. They tell me that I have a locking lug nut on each of my tires. I explain that I have had my tires rotated several times but not yet replaced, and when I tell them where, they tell me that the quasi-dealership place I use (Franklin Automotive) has a master key for my car.

They explain they can sell me four new tires for $1100, and replace the locking lug nut with one that isn't locking, but I decline--for now.

I go to Franklin. They tell me that (it is 2:15 my time by now, their mechanics leave at 4) they weren't real fired up about it, but that they wouldn't fix the tire even if it had a leak because it is 4/32nds tread. I ask if I can buy a key, and they say it has to be ordered, and it comes in a set that fits four new lug nuts, so it wouldn't do me any good--although they could replace the ones on the four tires with the new ones when they came in.

Sigh.

They invite me to return Monday and rent a car tomorrow (which I actually was 50-50 on doing anyway) for my little trip.

I get home, and my wife says, "why don't you look for it?" I chuckle. She says I youtubed where it might be found.

I go there, and open the panel next to the gas cap (on the inside), and there's a pouch that ways "wheel lock key."

Crap. Why does she always have to be right?

Darrell KSR
09-08-2017, 04:10 PM
By the way--I probably will just go ahead and buy 4 tires anyway. But now I'm free to buy them from tirerack.com, or Costco, or whatever.

Darrell KSR
09-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Cooter is Darrell's tow truck driver out of Sylacauga.
You remembered! I missed this earlier.

Man, that was the ride of my life.

Catfan73
09-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Wow that's some story lol. My wife's car actually had the same light come on about two weeks ago. Went thru the same thing with the slow leakage until finally she went by Michel Tire (where we usually go for tires and minor things) and they found a screw in it, plugged it, and sent her on her way. No charge.

Darrell KSR
09-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I bought this SUV three years ago and the tires were on it then. I'm only putting maybe 10k miles on it a year, maybe less, but the first owner also did the same. Wouldn't surprise me if these tires were six or seven years old. They need to be replaced.

Doc
09-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Crap. Why does she always have to be right?

Because she is a woman

KeithKSR
09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I bought this SUV three years ago and the tires were on it then. I'm only putting maybe 10k miles on it a year, maybe less, but the first owner also did the same. Wouldn't surprise me if these tires were six or seven years old. They need to be replaced.

$1100 seems a bit pricey for tires on an SUV driven 10K mikes a year.

Darrell KSR
09-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Seems a LOT pricey to me.

I will probably do the Costco deal on the same or very similar tires and spend $300-350 less.

Personally, I think $50 a tire is reasonable. More is too high. They don't agree with me.

What irritates me is the $1100 is for a tire quoted at $200, or a tick above. Then they add balancing, mounting, tire disposal, and all these fees. Then tax, and boom. $1100+. Ridiculous.

I may look for a more discounted tire, or just take Costco. They don't add nearly as many fees. I think they have $15 a tire, and that includes everything, lifetime balancing and rotation, road hazard warranty, everything.

Rumor has it tomorrow there will be a coupon code that will waive that $60. Add in a Michelin $70 instant rebate if you buy a set and it makes it tolerable.

Catfan73
09-11-2017, 04:39 AM
Don't know about Costco, but if you can wait another month there will be Columbus/Leif Erickson Day sales. They have sales every "holiday".

KeithKSR
09-11-2017, 06:07 AM
In my area typically there is a $10 or $12 mounting and balancing fee, $1-$2 tire disposal fee.

MickintheHam
09-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Seems a LOT pricey to me.

I will probably do the Costco deal on the same or very similar tires and spend $300-350 less.

Personally, I think $50 a tire is reasonable. More is too high. They don't agree with me.

What irritates me is the $1100 is for a tire quoted at $200, or a tick above. Then they add balancing, mounting, tire disposal, and all these fees. Then tax, and boom. $1100+. Ridiculous.

I may look for a more discounted tire, or just take Costco. They don't add nearly as many fees. I think they have $15 a tire, and that includes everything, lifetime balancing and rotation, road hazard warranty, everything.

Rumor has it tomorrow there will be a coupon code that will waive that $60. Add in a Michelin $70 instant rebate if you buy a set and it makes it tolerable.

How much cheaper was Costco than Tire Rack?

HerbTarlek
09-11-2017, 07:47 AM
My last set for my truck was $1200.00. Michelins. Quiet, ride well, great in weather. Will never compromise. Lifetime alignment and rotation, free.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2017, 08:37 AM
How much cheaper was Costco than Tire Rack?

They're close. Tire Rack didn't charge sales tax, but was $120 more expensive; however, $70 of that was in a rebate, so it really was only $50 more expensive. I'm going to be looking today/tomorrow to see if the rumor of free installation at Costco is accurate; if so, then it will be $60 more than that. They're two different models of Michelins, best I can tell close to the same--same warranty, speed rating, etc. So it's not apples to apples, but fruit to fruit, I guess.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2017, 09:16 AM
FWIW, the free tire installation code is still not working this morning. Maybe tomorrow. They had it in May; they had it last September as well. In fact, the same deal. Save $130 on a set of Michelin tires, $70 instant rebate and $60 free installation.

EDIT--Update from the Slickdeals website--nobody has the free installation working today. Allegedly someone called someone specifically and they were told that in fact, there would be a "penny" installation deal, but it did not start until the weekend. So 9/15 seems to be the first time when it might be available. Of course, it could be another unfounded rumor.

I can wait.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2017, 09:27 AM
In my area typically there is a $10 or $12 mounting and balancing fee, $1-$2 tire disposal fee.

That's similar to Costco, which also includes free road hazard warranty with it, as well as free lifetime rotation.

Tire Engineers was a little more pricey. I just went on their website, and I think this is the tire quote I received.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2017, 11:55 AM
I will probably wait til the weekend, see if I can save the $60, and go with that. It's a good price.

Another alternative is that I can get a set of Cooper tires for $130 each, plus whatever they'll charge per tire for installation/etc. I've always liked Cooper tires on my other vehicles just fine. But if I'm only saving a little, I won't go that route.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Hmm. Reading a lot about the Hankook tires. They have an all-season, 70k mile warranty tire, same speed rating, etc., reviews very good every place I've seen. $129 per tire, with a $50 rebate for a set of four.

If I can spend $600 for those all-in, I might do that instead. Wish Costco had them.

badrose
09-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Hankooks are great.

KeithKSR
09-11-2017, 03:17 PM
They're close. Tire Rack didn't charge sales tax, but was $120 more expensive; however, $70 of that was in a rebate, so it really was only $50 more expensive. I'm going to be looking today/tomorrow to see if the rumor of free installation at Costco is accurate; if so, then it will be $60 more than that. They're two different models of Michelins, best I can tell close to the same--same warranty, speed rating, etc. So it's not apples to apples, but fruit to fruit, I guess.

Costco may have the same Michelin with a different name on them than what the tire shops sell. Walmart does that. The tires will be identical other than the name.

KeithKSR
09-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Hmm. Reading a lot about the Hankook tires. They have an all-season, 70k mile warranty tire, same speed rating, etc., reviews very good every place I've seen. $129 per tire, with a $50 rebate for a set of four.

If I can spend $600 for those all-in, I might do that instead. Wish Costco had them.

I'd go with the Hankook tires, Michelin has been riding on their rep a lot in the past decade. The last few sets of Michelins I had weren't any better than discount tires.

Darrell KSR
09-15-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm going with the Michelin tires. Costco has it (Keith was right, it's the same tire--confirmed by Michelin), just $30 less per tire to begin with. Then they discount the set of 4 by $70 instant rebate, rather than mail-in. And today they are giving a deal on the Michelin's where you get 1-cent installation, so it knocks $130 off the set. And their installation includes free road hazard warranty, lifetime rotation and balancing, etc.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Man, this is a lot of info about tires. All I know is that I wear mine out really fast and they aren't cheap. I should probably shop more.

Darrell KSR
09-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Man, this is a lot of info about tires. All I know is that I wear mine out really fast and they aren't cheap. I should probably shop more.

If you are interested in Michelin's, these are about as good as you'll find for price. $193* a tire for the 265 65r 17, and free installation/road hazard/rotation/etc. Free flat repair for life, inflation checks, balancing, etc. at Costco.

*Edit--that's before subtracting $70 for the set of four, so the net is about $176 a tire, free installation.

I'm not a Michelin fan-boy, and think they are one of many good tire brands, but it's a nice 70k warranty, six-year warranty from Michelin. Michelin ranks this tire as a "10/10" on wear, and an "8/10" on braking (they don't go higher than 9 there). I know how you drive; you don't use the brakes anyway.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2017, 04:28 PM
I got the Michelin ASIII tires last time, worked great on my car.

As for my driving, I don't brake often but when I do I give them a real workout. :)

suncat05
09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
I like Cooper tires too. I have had 2 sets of them on my truck, just good tires.
On the other hand, I will never, ever own another set of Bridgestone tires. My wife's car came with a set of them on it, and we had nothing but trouble with the original set and the 2 replacement tires that Toyota put on for us, courtesy of the warranty we bought when we bought the car. Bridgestone tires are junk, plain & simple. I'd rather have a set of "maypops" on my car than that junk!

KeithKSR
09-18-2017, 10:01 PM
If you are interested in Michelin's, these are about as good as you'll find for price. $193* a tire for the 265 65r 17, and free installation/road hazard/rotation/etc. Free flat repair for life, inflation checks, balancing, etc. at Costco.

*Edit--that's before subtracting $70 for the set of four, so the net is about $176 a tire, free installation.

I'm not a Michelin fan-boy, and think they are one of many good tire brands, but it's a nice 70k warranty, six-year warranty from Michelin. Michelin ranks this tire as a "10/10" on wear, and an "8/10" on braking (they don't go higher than 9 there). I know how you drive; you don't use the brakes anyway.

I had a set of Sailun Terramax AT tires put on my truck in 2013, not one issue and they have a nice soft ride for a 10 ply tire. They ride much better than the Goodyear Wranglers I used to have on it. About $600 for a set of four installed.

https://simpletire.com/sailun-p265-70r17-2001630-tires?stmodel=terramax-a-t&stcategory=other&sttype=passenger&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rujxKCw1gIVQxxpCh0HBQhzEAQYBSAB EgI-ZfD_BwE

Darrell KSR
09-18-2017, 10:17 PM
I had a set of Sailun Terramax AT tires put on my truck in 2013, not one issue and they have a nice soft ride for a 10 ply tire. They ride much better than the Goodyear Wranglers I used to have on it. About $600 for a set of four installed.

https://simpletire.com/sailun-p265-70r17-2001630-tires?stmodel=terramax-a-t&stcategory=other&sttype=passenger&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rujxKCw1gIVQxxpCh0HBQhzEAQYBSAB EgI-ZfD_BwE

Those are $153.92 per tire + $19.50 per tire shipping + $15.39 a tire for the road hazard warranty + $11.25 per tire installation at their preferred installer + $2.00 disposal fee + $1.00 for SUV/trucks + $3 shop fee (10% installation cost) = $206.06 per tire, or $824.24 for a set of four installed, before tax.

The Costco deal is a very good deal. Plus it includes lifetime rotation as well, which that one doesn't.

Edit--I'm sure those are great tires. I'm not suggesting any tire is better than any other. But all those friggin' add-on fees--are killers. If I knew a guy that would do it for me for free, and I didn't worry about the road hazard warranty, rotation, etc., then my options might be expanded. But as it is --man, that Costco, "all-in" deal is a killer deal.

Put another way--the Michelin tires at Costo are $176 per tire, literally.

Now, start subtracting the cost per tire you don't have to pay at Costco that you have to pay elsewhere:

$176
- $19.50 shipping fee saved
- $15.39 road hazard warranty saved
- $11.25 installation fee saved

Some of the others may be similar, so I'm not including them. But you get to a net price at Costo for the Michelin 6-year, 70k warranty tires, with road hazard warranty, lifetime rotation, etc. of $129.86 per tire.

That's a great deal in my book.

bigsky
09-21-2017, 10:43 PM
No tire advice from Montana would be appropriate in Alabama.

I do run Hankook Blizzaks in the winter but they are expensive and wear out quickly. They also can save my life on winter Montana interstates and highways.

PS It is the last day of summer--and snowing.

CitizenBBN
09-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Since this thread started I've had to change my tires twice.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Got the new tires put on yesterday. Big issue with Costco - wait time. They take limited appointments, about two weeks in advance, so if you know you need your tires rotated or something, you can make the appointment and no wait in line. Yesterday I arrived around 2 and they told me it would be ready around closing time. Fortunately, they offered the option to call me 30 minutes before they were ready for me, which allowed me to spring free, but that's a heck of a wait.

The guy told me they open at 10 am, but begin giving out numbers at 9:30. Brutal without an appointment, and a significant downside to buying tires at Costco.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2017, 07:50 AM
No tire advice from Montana would be appropriate in Alabama.

I do run Hankook Blizzaks in the winter but they are expensive and wear out quickly. They also can save my life on winter Montana interstates and highways.

PS It is the last day of summer--and snowing.
Brakes and tires are things you just don't mess around with.

KeithKSR
09-24-2017, 05:53 PM
I like the way the tire shops I deal with do their pricing. The only add ons are taxes and tire disposal fees.