PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Town Name in all 50 states

Darrell KSR
09-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I admit, I was disappointed in the Kentucky entry. I just knew my favorite would be the "winner," and they did not include Possum Trot. Robbery.

Do you have any quibbles with this list?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/502251/funniest-town-name-all-50-states

CitizenBBN
09-04-2017, 07:02 PM
they left out some good kentucky names.

Monkey's Eyebrow has to be a contender. Not sure if Big Bone Lick State Park qualifies, but it's so good maybe it gets on the list. If not Beaverlick is a real town and that's surely its equal.

Oddville is good too. Absolutely Possum Trot has to be there. Don't forget Flippin.

My favorites, b/c I've been to them are Paint Lick and Nonesuch.

Then there is one that is big enough people don't even think about it much, Morehead.

Can't speak to other states, but we have some good ones.

My vote goes to Monkey's Eyebrow though. Just so out in left field.

CitizenBBN
09-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Some of my local area favorites that aren't really "funny", but I like:

Sulphur, which is named for exactly what it is and was once a popular healing destination. Bagdad, Cropper, Pleasureville (which should maybe make that list), Waddy and Franklinton only b/c I have no idea why they spelled it that way.

Pleasureville is so big it has a north and south btw.

And that doesn't even get to the odd ways we say some names, like Versailles and Athens and Cairo among others.

Darrell KSR
09-04-2017, 07:14 PM
they left out some good kentucky names.

Monkey's Eyebrow has to be a contender. Not sure if Big Bone Lick State Park qualifies, but it's so good maybe it gets on the list. If not Beaverlick is a real town and that's surely its equal.

Oddville is good too. Absolutely Possum Trot has to be there. Don't forget Flippin.

My favorites, b/c I've been to them are Paint Lick and Nonesuch.

Then there is one that is big enough people don't even think about it much, Morehead.

Can't speak to other states, but we have some good ones.

My vote goes to Monkey's Eyebrow though. Just so out in left field.
I agree, Monkey's Eyebrow over Possum Trot. Both in the running over Bugtussle.

Big Bone Lick wins for State Park names.

badrose
09-04-2017, 08:11 PM

MickintheHam
09-04-2017, 08:33 PM
You have to give Gravel Switch an honorable mention. My favorite in alaBama is Wedowee. It's official pronunciation is Wed ow ee, but everyone calls it We do we.

Catfan73
09-04-2017, 09:16 PM
It lists Climax Ga but there's also a Climax Kentucky. There's a Moon in the county where I grew up that people from all over would get cards postmarked at the post office that used to be there, especially in 1969.

My favorite Kentucky community name though is probably Helechewa, pronounced Huh-leach-a-wah. Local legend has it that it was originally called Hell Each Way before the churchgoers fixed it lol.

blueboss
09-05-2017, 07:10 AM
All though it's not a town ( I don't think) but there is a state park in Ky called Big Bone Lick. Plus don't forget Gravel Switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
09-05-2017, 09:15 AM
You have to give Gravel Switch an honorable mention. My favorite in alaBama is Wedowee. It's official pronunciation is Wed ow ee, but everyone calls it We do we.
Never knew where Wedowee was, and never bothered to look it up. Discovered it recently by accident in route to LaGrange, Ga. Sort of the middle of nowhere. Hear it has a nice lake, one of the Alabama Power ones.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2017, 09:16 AM
It lists Climax Ga but there's also a Climax Kentucky. There's a Moon in the county where I grew up that people from all over would get cards postmarked at the post office that used to be there, especially in 1969.

My favorite Kentucky community name though is probably Helechewa, pronounced Huh-leach-a-wah. Local legend has it that it was originally called Hell Each Way before the churchgoers fixed it lol.
Lol on the Hell Each Way pronounciation.

Catonahottinroof
09-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Places in Kentucky my employer has sent me. Hmmmm....lol
Beaverlick, KY...no explanation necessary
Eighty Eight, KY
Black Bottom KY and Black Gnat KY
That summer vaca destination of Wax, KY.
I could go on and on lol